View Poll Results: Will OS 6.0 Change The Face of BlackBerry?

Voters
33. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes, RIM is finally listening to consumers.

5 15.15%
  • No, it'll be 4.0 and 5.0 again with new packaging.

5 15.15%
  • Maybe it'll be a compromise of the two.

7 21.21%
  • Too soon to tell.

16 48.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who thinks that RIM will finally bridge the gap between the enterprise user and average ... General Blackberry forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Is 0S 6.0 The NEW BlackBerry?

Advertisement

Who thinks that RIM will finally bridge the gap between the enterprise user and average consumer with OS 6.0? The new screenshots of the OS look nice, but will it really bring the aesthetics and interface that have drawn so many people to other platforms such as the iPhone or Android? Remembering that BlackBerry was built from the ground up as an enterprise/corporate device, who feels that it will simply be another revision to the same OS, but with a few new tweaks?

More importantly, what is it that we feel is lacking from the BlackBerry platform, if anything? It's the solid reliability and security of the OS that has kept me as an avid fan, but I'm like many people in that I believe it's still the same old display and features. Especially when considering the specs from devices like the Dell Lightning and HTC EVO. How many people are waiting on 6.0 to decide to change platforms? Thoughts and comments folks.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    MS Strawder, it's like this. I want RIM to change and offer more. To come closer to a UI that is more pleasant, more modern. A better browser. But I hope for the basics still to be there. That's what keeps me stuck to BB. It works, it's reliable, it's safe and, lately, fast and efficient.
    I hope OS 6.0 will be all this , nothing more.
    Let´s wait and see and not speculate. Or else it could be another let down. That is, if our expectations are way too high !
    Thanks for the opportunity.
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-24-2010 at 01:43 PM.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    MS Strawder, it's like this. I want RIM to change and offer more. To come closer to a UI that is more pleasant, more modern. A better browser. But I hope for the basics still to be there. That's what keeps me stuck to BB. It works, it's reliable, it's safe and, lately, fast and efficient.
    I hope OS 6.0 will be all this , nothing more.
    Let´s wait and see and not speculate. Or else it could be another let down. That is, if our expectations are way too high !
    Thanks for the opportunity.
    It may be a bit early to really say for sure, but I remember the hype with 5.0 and the changes it was rumored to bring. All in all, the speed has been the only major improvement in 5.0. With that, I'm looking at the screenshots and some of the leaked info and liking the promise of a more effecient browser that doesn't give me an hourglass while loading a page, but I can't shake the feeling that it will fall short of what the average person is expecting from their devices these days in terms of interaction and aesthetics. Ultimately I want to take this thread in about 6 months or so when we start seeing a lot more hands-on with leaks of the OS and see how it pans out. I'm also not seeing this being released on any current devices, save the Storm 2 or 9700, 9000, or maybe the 8900. Even that's fully speculation however.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I agree entirely. The 9700 and the OS 5.0 Was a stepping stone, mind you. NO hour glass syndrome. The OS 6.0 will probably be accompanied with a different new model. New selling gimmicks! A better browser, so long awaited for, and subsequently better media solutions as in iPhone or Android!
    here's wishing...

Too soon to tell. At their guts, there's not much difference structurally between my current os and the three-point-something that was on my very first 62xx - - i.e. there's no real learning curve. I you can run 3.something, you can run a 9700 Bold . . .It would be nice to see something new!

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    I think the first thing on people's mind that is lacking with RIM devices is the browser obviously, the serious lag while running apps and the overall UI. Don't get me wrong, BlackBerrrys are sexy devices. I love the look of my 8900 and I would love to have a Storm if it were on T-Mobile. But it isn't so my BB experience is limited in that aspect. But even if I had the Storm would I like it? So many people say its a crappy device. Well from first hand experience dealing with BlackBerry devices I might agree. But I'd rather test that for myself.
    But since most BlackBerry devices are not Touch devices we'll start there. Can we get a variety other than the Bold or Curve form factor? HTC has tons of phones on the market and most if not all are Touch devices. Most if not all have 1ghz processors making them run alot more smoothly than most BlackBerrys. But maybe the HTC form isn't for everyone. Look at the Droid. Keyboard and touch screen. BlackBerry has released all these different phones with different names but are all cut from that same cookie cutter. If BlackBerry wanted they could corner the market on form factors since they have so many different models out.
    And then the interface has not changed much from when I first got my BB device which was the 8100. Now I've had the 8220, 8320 and the 8900 and not much has changed. My 8900 is faster than the curve I had but it still lacks. I've upgraded from 4.2 to 5.0.whatever is out now and the only big change I like as far as looks is the media changes and the themes now allow sliding and fading when you go from menu to home or to apps. Thats cool but now wow worthy.
    Anyway, to shorten my rant. I love BlackBerry and I hope they keep improving but since it's gonna take more than an OS change to phase me anymore RIM has to come out swinging. A much better OS, a much better form, more form options (more Touch devices please) and a better media player!
    I think I have deviated from the original question so forgive me. Will it bridge the gap between enterprise user and consumers? Not when their mindset is that the reason people should use a BlackBerry is because is it uses less bandwidth and because touch screens will be obsolete in a few years.
    My Focus may become Jaided but never my determination...

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Good points Jaided. It's not just a matter of software. The devices are more or less the same with a few minor enhancements along the way. The 9700 is virtually identical to the 8900. The biggest difference being 3G. RIM is definitely going to have to branch out in the hardware specs and overall design if they want to stay truly competitive. Otherwise they're going to be locked into the enterprise market where some of these aspects don't play as large a part.
    How to upgrade your OS

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    It seems odd that Rim is using the Clamshell and new Tour to introduce the new 6.0. You would think they would introduce it on an all new device. Something that will keep up with the competition

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It will be a delicate balance for RIM. They need to improve and innovate to keep people from jumping to iPhone and Android. But at the same time they can't change too much or they risk confusing then losing some of their long time users. I think an increase in memory and processor speed, better browser, and a decent touch screen will reach out to consumers even more than a snazzy UI/OS overhall. Time will tell.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Vs 6.0 already, by software terns that means a major change. Let's see ATT has not yet released 5.0 on the Bold 9000 so I look forward to trying 5 around 2012 and 6 is 2014 if I am still withh ATT and still using BB's by then

To be honest I am a loyal BB user but for how long I don't know with the Nexus and the IPhone getting better and better it is very difficult to stay in the dark ages convincing onself that I need to be able to remove the battery, and how reliable and secure the phone is.

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I hope it at least means I can update my 9700 to OS 6. I get into the BB versus droid and iPhone discussion with my brothers (droid users) all the time. I don't consider the BB to be behind or outdated. When it comes down to it for me, I need a compact phone (can't beat the feel of 9700 versus a big 'ol screened droid or iphone) that has reliable, voice, email/text, and data capabilities to run a few useful applications (Search engines, Google Maps, News, ESPN, and the occasional game to pass time when I am in an airport). All the novelty that woos people into a iphone or a droid wears off eventually. Keep in mind, BB has a huge corporate presence. So they have a different focus versus HTC or Apple. How many Fortune 500 companies are handing out iPhones and Androids to their employees. They need productivity, not wow!, this is cool!

Blackberry OS 6 Sneek Peek
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlO8K...layer_embedded

jg1thomas no está en línea Stack level 2
    I really love my BB cause its solid and very nice looking, along with that its really a strong built phone. By that I mean, unless you really drop it it won't fly apart like some other delicate devices but do believe 6.0 is just going to be a continuation of the same old thing. And the processor isn't much faster especially when compared to 1ghz power of the snapdragon

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I agree with most all that is being said....I left BB for Android, but I find myself wishing I had the reliability of my BB. I see no reason that OS 6 couldn't run on the current Bold, Bold II, 9630, etc. devices. Lets face it, the Bold 9650 is just a 9630 with Wifi and a trackpad! I hope that BB let's folks with an older device upgrade, they deserve it after the OS 5 debocle.

If my carrier (Cellular South) gets the 9650 with OS 6 I will be returning to BB.......I guess that answers the question.

On a side note, a BB with a 1ghz processor would absolutely FLY! I don't think you would ever get a spinning hourglass!

myblackberyiscool no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was watching the NEW BLACKBERRY 6.0 video on YouTube, I was watching it and I noticed something and worried about.

In the video, the lady it touching the screen, as if it were a Blackberry Storm.

Now is the 6.0 going to just be made-specific for the Blackberry Storm ? Or all devices?

And if it's made for all devices, then how is it going to be touch screen on the Blackberry I have ?

• I currently have Blackberry Tour 9630

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackberyiscool View Post
    I was watching the NEW BLACKBERRY 6.0 video on YouTube, I was watching it and I noticed something and worried about.

In the video, the lady it touching the screen, as if it were a Blackberry Storm.

Now is the 6.0 going to just be made-specific for the Blackberry Storm ? Or all devices?

And if it's made for all devices, then how is it going to be touch screen on the Blackberry I have ?

• I currently have Blackberry Tour 9630
    it will be released for some non-touchscreen devices also
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast