Hello all, I'm going to be as specific in this case as possible and hope ... General Blackberry forum

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Invalid Password. Password too short

Advertisement

Hello all,

I'm going to be as specific in this case as possible and hope that someone will know whats going on here.

I have an 8700g | running OS 4.2 | App Version: 4.2.1.114.

Last Week I thought I'd install Blackberry Unite! and give it a go. (Very disappointed.)
    I've since wiped my blackberry and installed a blank IT policy (to remove the Unite!'s IT policy)

Slowly, Ive been re-setting my BB back to the way I had it before Unite! (I foolishly didn't have a current back-up)

Everything is now back to normal except for just one thing,
    I cannot use the same password I've always used for my blackberry.
    I receive the following error: "Invalid Password. Password too short"

I have several devices and the password is the same 4 character string for each (and has been so for quite some time.)

As Far as I know, the password requirements for a BIS device have not changed.

Anybody have any insight?
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It
    UPDATE:

Ok, so I had some time today and tried the following:

1. Completely wiped blackberry again using javaloader.
    (There is now no OS on the device confirmed by the white screen w/ 507 error)
    2. Using Desktop Manager to install new OS (newer version than last.)
    IT STILL ASKS ME FOR DEVICE PASSWORD!
    it actually accpets the password set BEFORE the device wipe.......

Is this normal?
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It
    Here's a thought,

Does anyone think this could be part of the "blank IT policy" I downloaded and installed to replace the BB Unite! IT policy?

Is there a way I could check?

My BB does not list any IT policies in the security settings.

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It
    Problem Solved!
    I'm positive it was the Blank IT policy that I found here
    According to d_fisher's notes about his JL_Cmder v1.9.0, the reset to factory settings command includes IT policy settings.
    I ran this command and everything is back to normal. (Plus now I'm running 4.5 )

Hope this provides help to anyone in a similar situation either now or in the future.

Cheers,
    JC

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    wow! thanks jerry! you fixed it yourself and kept us in the loop! will be GREAT thread if someone else needs it

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    wow! thanks jerry! you fixed it yourself and kept us in the loop! will be GREAT thread if someone else needs it

LOL, On-line this sort of problem solving works for everyone. In the office everyone wonders "Why does Jerry keep talking to himself?"

-JC

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    Thanks for the info jerrycrabb!!! you clued me into something else that I've been trying to do with my 8320!! (can't say what as it goes against posting rules on pinstack)

great job! I look forward to "hearing" you speak to yourself in the future!!

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It
    Quick heads up!

I had a Do'h momement and would like to spare others.

If you're having problems with a blank IT policy (that isnt as blank as it should be) Make sure you delete it from the directory you had installed it in.

I forgot to do so and each time I connected to the desktop manager it was re-installing the IT policy and prompting me to change my password to one that was longer than 5 characters.

Also, JL Cmder will only reset IT policies on BB's running OS 4.3 or greater.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Thanks, Jerry, for the info...it will help others in the future.