Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi guys, i just got a blackberry curve and was wondering if there was a ... General Blackberry forum

tickangel no está en línea Stack level 1

Question internet browsing on blackberry

Advertisement

hi guys,

i just got a blackberry curve and was wondering if there was a free internet browsing option. i am on vodafone and i think the vodafone live browser charges for browsing things like myspace and facebook? i called the operator and he said it charges for everything apart from sending and receiving emails, as i have the blackberry internet service.

basically im just confused! lol. i just want to be able to browse and go on the internet with no extra charges, as i am already paying an extra £15 on top of my orignial mobile phone bill, i thought internet browsing was inclusive in this.

please help me out. Many thanks

angel

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: internet browsing on blackberry

this is all up to your carrier, in Norway free unlimited plans are 70$ a month. That includes all traffic.

Some carriers offer free email traffic , or free MSN for a fixed price to.. its all dependant of your carrier

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Check this post for an explanation of what browsers your device has.
    JerryD

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

If you are paying for a BIS plan, then yes, you have the ability to surf the internet as part of that package.

I am not familiar with Vodafone's data plans, but you will not be charged extra to browse the web with the Data Plan. I am assuming Vodafone's data plans are unlimited data like most of the U.S. carriers are.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

tickangel no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: internet browsing on blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by tickangel View Post
    hi guys,

i just got a blackberry curve and was wondering if there was a free internet browsing option. i am on vodafone and i think the vodafone live browser charges for browsing things like myspace and facebook? i called the operator and he said it charges for everything apart from sending and receiving emails, as i have the blackberry internet service.

basically im just confused! lol. i just want to be able to browse and go on the internet with no extra charges, as i am already paying an extra £15 on top of my orignial mobile phone bill, i thought internet browsing was inclusive in this.

please help me out. Many thanks

angel

hey guys, me again.

thanx for your responses. the £15 on top of my original price plan was for the blackberry internet service (which i am now told only covers 6mb of email usage, not any internet browsing =(...) i was told that i have to pay an extra amount for surfing or browsing the internet. i love my BB, just didnt know it would burn a hole in my pocket..still a uni student here, lol.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

What they're telling you is that your BIS plan has a limit of 6MB each month. Above that limit, you're paying extra.

You should be able to use your Internet Browser just fine. 6MB is a pretty high data limit, if you're just doing occasional surfing and browsing. If you're downloading a lot or tethering to a laptop, then you might need to be careful.

Doublecheck with your Carrier to be certain, but I am pretty confident that you can use the internet with that 6MB per month.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Maybe you should explore other carriers too. I'm with T-Mobile, and I pay for a basic voice plan, and on top of that an unlimited data plan. The latter allows unlimited browsing as well as using the BB as a tethered modem. The total cost is $60. It seems to me they are nickel-and-diming you, charging 15 pounds "for BIS"-- yes, I have BIS, and it is part of the above deal! I can't imagine things would be too much different in England: T-Mob tells me that when I travel to Europe I should just get a new SIM from a local store of theirs, and then using the BB will be just like it is now, here in the US.

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

I am with o2 uk & their plan is much better £10 for BIS with voice plan for 200mb email and browsing I remember looking at vodafones plan & thinking it was bad.
    They also favour their vodaphone live internet plan.

PIN/ID
    244F596F

Yes... a friend of mine in England has O2 and is happy with it.

As for me, I have what I described above because I can use it on either side of the pond

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

One big problem with o2 is the sometimes extra charges for using o2 active wap or mobile web.
    One device 3 different data charges - madness.
    I stick to the BB browser to avoid this and use minimoni data monitor.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell Wood View Post
    I am with o2 uk & their plan is much better £10 for BIS with voice plan for 200mb email and browsing I remember looking at vodafones plan & thinking it was bad.
    They also favour their vodaphone live internet plan.
    I'm also on 02 but in Ireland and have unlimited for €20 and month which is about £15. I looked at Vodafone and very quickly left the shop as the plans where not good. Just keep and eye on data use and you will be ok or move to 02 and go mad, if possible to move. Don't use Opera browser as this connects differently and will cost you a fortune. Make sure your APN is blank which can be found under Options/Advanced options/TCP.

Hope this helps

PIN/ID
    244F596F

Right... if you can avoid that, it makes sense.

I hardly ever use the WAP Browser,even though there is no extra cost -- the BB Browser is just fine. I remember the last time: during the BlackBerry meltdown last year. E-mail died first, the BB browser went next, and for a few minutes I made do with the WAP browser.

Then... the great darkness :cry:

s16ri no está en línea Stack level 5

Hi all! Just wondering..based on any of your experience..does internet browsing eats up your data much faster while roaming as compared to browsing on your carrier's network? I just don't want to end up with a huge whole in my pocket after roaming elsewhere not in my carrier's network

PIN/ID
    244F596F

I would advise you to get an unlimited plan where roaming or not doesn't matter. [Half the time, it turns out, I'm actually on Cingular... T-Mob has an agreement with them. It makes no difference: I pay T-Mob a fixed amount per month and that's that] It could be that you get bitten once but sufficiently hard to cost you a lot more!

janie215 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256A910E

I know Im going to sound really stupid here. I am completely new to BB and therefore a complete novice. If I use the wi-fi in my house connected via my broadband, am I right in thinking that Im not actually paying for it? I realise if I use GPRS that there will be a charge from my network.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast