I have another thread kind of similar to this for blackberry maps but though its ... General Blackberry forum

ianh123 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Internet browser issues??

Advertisement

I have another thread kind of similar to this for blackberry maps but though its a bit more of a general issue than just focused on the one app so am posting here.
    Ok here’s the issue, I seem to have quite a few problems with accessing the Internet on the blackberry’s.
    Background is I work in IT and we have to try and support the devices with no training so self taught but quite limited knowledge. We have a contract with Vodafone (who are useless) so we get the blackberry’s from them receive them to the site the enterprise activation is done at another site in Ireland type in the username + password and away we go. I have spoken to Ireland before and there involvement in the process is Mail access only, so in my eyes all internet/WAP access is all controlled by Vodafone.
    I have had this problem before to get round it I wiped my device had a spare in the cupboard swapped my sim reactivated and it worked, but surely there is a simple way to resolve this.

Using the device WAP seems to work fine.
    Mail pulls down fine.
    All other apps seem ok
    But when you use the Internet type apps www browser/bbmaps/google maps it doesn’t connect just tries and tries with no connection so nothing comes up. Is there a simple setting i am missing or something, oh the last thing i tried before i got a new blackberry (about a week before) out the cupboard was to get Vodafone to push the browser settings but these didn’t do anything

So that’s about it I think covered everything, if you have any suggestions then please do let me know as have an exec breathing down my neck as he has just got an 8800 with bbmaps and of course it doesn’t work.

Thanks Ian

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Internet browser issues??

Look under Options / Advanced Options / TCP and see what you have there to start with.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39
    Look under Options / Advanced Options / TCP and see what you have there to start with.
    The Guy had to leave and we dont have any non functioning ones around at the moment so will check as soon as I find one, where abouts is the TCP Setting under settings/advanced options or under the browser as I cant find the TCP settings on an 8707v that I have got??

Thanks

Ok have got another one with the same issues so I can try and diagnose the problem a bit better, have checked the tcp settings and there is nothing in there. Should there be something in there and if so where would you normally get the details from??
    Last edited by ianh123; 05-22-2007 at 10:58 AM.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Ianh123, you can find the APN settings here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...carrier-5.html.

Ok the one for Vodafone uk is internet and web web, have typed it in tried again and just get usuall requesting message and no error message

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Did you type in the APN only "wap.vodafone.net" and leave everything else blank, then save?

Well I found a doc in the link you sent me that said the APN was internet, with the username of web and password of web didnt work, changed it to wap.vodafone.net still not working no username no password

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Ian, might there be an IT lock on the browser. Not uncommon. Have you checked with the folks in Ireland who set these up?

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

In general I think the Uk carriers dont want you to use BB browser and have access to google maps etc. The way round this is to get the latest APN settings for your carrier, I am with o2 so cant help you, but I am sure that a UK stacker with Vodaphone will help you out !! BB browser access however means asking to talk to Tech support and not normal help lines and asking the person if he can do this for you !!

I have checked before and they say there is no controls in place. The strange thing is that i had the same problem with my 8707v. I swapped it and re-activated it on the server and it worked which would suggest a setting on the device?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

For clairification:

- Blackberry Browser connects via MDS in BES environments and is not available to BIS-only users

- Internet Browser (sometimes named just Browser) uses the Blackberry's own TCP/IP stack

Which browser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    For clairification:

- Blackberry Browser connects via MDS in BES environments and is not available to BIS-only users

- Internet Browser (sometimes named just Browser) uses the Blackberry's own TCP/IP stack

Which browser are you using?
    Hi
    It is the Internet Browser on the 8707 and it is called "Internet Browser" and on the pearl 8100/8800 it is called just "Browser"

As said quite new to the whole Blackberry thing what are the items above MDS, BES, and BIS-only??

Thanks Ian

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by ianh123
    Hi
    It is the Internet Browser on the 8707 and it is called "Internet Browser" and on the pearl 8100/8800 it is called just "Browser"

As said quite new to the whole Blackberry thing what are the items above MDS, BES, and BIS-only??

Thanks Ian
    Ian, MDS - Mobile Data Service
    BES - Blackberry Enterprise Service (ie, corporate email)
    BIS - Blackberry Internet Service

Ok well the Blackberrys are setup on an enterprise server, so does this mean that I wont be able to connect using the Internet browser. If so this still doesnt make any sence as to why I cannot access the Internet via the browser but I can on my own device an 8707 setup on the same server same settings etc etc.