I plan to have my BlackBerry 7290 (Cingular) unlocked before I go to Philippines in ... General Blackberry forum

MirandaSoft no está en línea Stack level 2

Question International Usage... Conflicting and Confusing Information...

Advertisement

I plan to have my BlackBerry 7290 (Cingular) unlocked before I go to Philippines in a few months, however, I had to question whether the device will work in Philippines. I received answers from RIM Technical Support and Smart Communications (Philippines).

RIM's Answer: BlackBerry services are provided by Smart Communications in Philippines.

Smart's Answer: We don't provision Blackberry devices that don't come from our inventory.

Q. Can an unlocked 7290 be made to work in Philippines?

Marcos
    MirandaSoft! International http://www.MirandaSoft.net
    Owner of Treo 600 (T-Mobile)

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Re: International Usage... Conflicting and Confusing Information...

The reason you got that wierd answer is rim says "yes, the device works there and the services are from smart communications"... while smart is saying "you need to buy the device from us, if you wan't to use our network".

So, what does it come down to? You should be able to make voice calls & text; but I do not believe you will have data access. (if you have their sim, they can't exactly block the voice part just because your on a blackberry; but they can block the internet by not allowing you to get the service books) I would just call smart and keep bugging them; as yes the phone has the ability to work there... smart is just being dumb; like they normally seem to be.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

gabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Have Cingular change your BB unl plan to international BB unl for 1 month. You wont be able to make calls without paying ridiculous roaming charges, but you will be able to use your data.
    PIN: 2022D44B
    Cingular BB 7290
    my free blog hosting

MirandaSoft no está en línea Stack level 2

The length of my upcoming visit to Philippines is presently undetermined. It can be anywhere between 2 weeks and a year.

All GSM devices in Philippines are sold without Carrier Locks, however, it is still unconfirmed if the RIM BlackBerry devices sold there, are unlocked.

The two Major GSM carriers in Philippines is Globe and Smart. Nearly everybody I know there, including my relatives, uses Smart and claim that Globe is too expensive. 3G technology is already in use in Philippines.

Though I am with Cingular for the BlackBerry 7290, I plan to dump Cingular within the 1st 30 days and go back to T-Mobile. Smart & Globe already have roaming agreements with Deutch Telecom (DT) since pre-1997. I was already informed that T-Mobile phones do work in Germany.

The other option I have is to get the BB7290 for my uncle there, extract system configuration data from it, and compare it to the BB7290 I currently have.
    MirandaSoft! International http://www.MirandaSoft.net
    Owner of Treo 600 (T-Mobile)

Wombat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2104929D

In regards to T-Mobile, I have been using a 6710 for over a year and I travel to various points in Mexico upto 10 times a year. I had to call TM to get the free international roaming turned on, but it works great. You get charged for every KB of internet and for every message, but those charges are small. The voice charges are something like $1.75/min. Hope this helps.
    BTW, just upgraded to 7105t and am very happy with T-Mobile.