Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Yesterday I was talking to our AAE (agent account executive) and he was saying the ... General Blackberry forum

  1. #1
    gixxerjoe's Avatar
    gixxerjoe no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Posts
    702

    internal rumor, anybody heard this?

    Advertisement



    Yesterday I was talking to our AAE (agent account executive) and he was saying the FCC is going to mandate that any cdma phone will have to work on any cdma network. Kinda like what verizon is allowing now. Has any one else heard anything about this? If this is true this is great news to me!

  2. #2
    auggnation's Avatar
    auggnation no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34
    Well there was a news story on this about a month ago but it was not limited to justh Cdma. It's suppose to be all phones ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  3. #3
    skanarkia's Avatar
    skanarkia no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    24594A12
    Posts
    104
    The Unlocked World!
    Is Only Me And My BlackBerry....

  4. #4
    kreesedup's Avatar
    kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    Posts
    428
    Yes. Google & android that are pushing for this "open device aliance". They all (cdma carriers) have stated that they are on board with this open polociy. So, in theroy you could take a storm fromvzw and activate it on sprint as long as you paid full price for the phone and/ or no contract. There's been a lot of posts about this here. Check out the open device alliance. via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  5. #5
    luciferseamus's Avatar
    luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by kreesedup View Post
    Yes. Google & android that are pushing for this "open device aliance". They all (cdma carriers) have stated that they are on board with this open polociy. So, in theory you could take a storm fromvzw and activate it on sprint as long as you paid full price for the phone and/ or no contract. There's been a lot of posts about this here. Check out the open device alliance. via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

    I just wet my self!!
    that would be SWEET!!!!!!!!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey


  6. #6
    kreesedup's Avatar
    kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    Posts
    428
    Do keep in mind its been all talk to this point. I read an article I think this past week where google was calling the carriers on it. I haven't seen or heard of anybody able to develop they're own device or another carriers device on sprint at this point. That's why I said in theroy. Hasn't happened yet as far as I know. Even though they have agreed to do so. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  7. #7
    gixxerjoe's Avatar
    gixxerjoe no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Posts
    702
    Thanks for the replies. I do understand that it is just talk at this point. One of the major hurdles for cdma carriers will be to be able to have software availble to flash your phone so it will work properly on a different carriers network. And that could take a while to do so. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  8. #8
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    This topic has been discussed worldwide for quite some time. Living in a global economy as we do, the "big picture" story is to break the carriers "lock" on phones. The US is behind the rest of the world on this as you can already go to several web sites as most of you know & buy unbranded & unlocked phones. However you will notice in every case those are GSM based phones only. The phones that use sim cards. GSM has been a world standard in other countries ahead of the US. What I routinely do when I want a phone that is newer, offers more features, but is not available in the US, is to order it direct from Hong Kong. Upon arrival I simply insert my AT&T sim card & I'm all set to use the new phone. Taking this one step further is the "unannounced" opening of web stores in the US by major phone makers like Motorola who will now sell you their phones direct & unlocked. Whereas before if you wanted a RAZR (for example) you had to buy it from your carrier, as Motorola would not sell it direct to the customer. So this "change" and migration towards an open hardware market is slowly taking place. The carriers of course are fighting it as it then leaves them with only service to sell. So yes, we are headed in the direction of an unlocked world, but the US carriers have a lot of our money to fight this off, therefore I don't see it happening soon.
    .
    sent via BlackBerry
    ~(wap.pinstack.com)~

  9. #9
    luciferseamus's Avatar
    luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    This topic has been discussed worldwide for quite some time. Living in a global economy as we do, the "big picture" story is to break the carriers "lock" on phones. The US is behind the rest of the world on this as you can already go to several web sites as most of you know & buy unbranded & unlocked phones. However you will notice in every case those are GSM based phones only. The phones that use sim cards. GSM has been a world standard in other countries ahead of the US. What I routinely do when I want a phone that is newer, offers more features, but is not available in the US, is to order it direct from Hong Kong. Upon arrival I simply insert my AT&T sim card & I'm all set to use the new phone. Taking this one step further is the "unannounced" opening of web stores in the US by major phone makers like Motorola who will now sell you their phones direct & unlocked. Whereas before if you wanted a RAZR (for example) you had to buy it from your carrier, as Motorola would not sell it direct to the customer. So this "change" and migration towards an open hardware market is slowly taking place. The carriers of course are fighting it as it then leaves them with only service to sell. So yes, we are headed in the direction of an unlocked world, but the US carriers have a lot of our money to fight this off, therefore I don't see it happening soon.
    .
    sent via BlackBerry
    ~(wap.pinstack.com)~

    good morning archer,

    you mentioned that you will sometimes buy a phone from hong kong, I've also heard of people getting phones from Australia and all sorts of different places. I have been wondering, how hard is it to do something like that?
    I've have searched before but I obviously don't know what I'm looking for.

    I am yet to find a site, or a way of purchasing a phone from another country.
    like I said though, I just don't know where or what to search for.

    what has your experience been like doing this?
    have you ever received something that just WON'T work?
    and would you recommend it as opposed to waiting for some SLOW A** carriers to pick it up here in the states?

    thanks for your help.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey


  10. #10
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    you mentioned that you will sometimes buy a phone from hong kong
    what has your experience been like doing this?
    have you ever received something that just WON'T work?
    Pros:
    You may buy any phone you wish.
    You get the phone in just days (Phonesource fastest in 4 to 6 days)
    Works on any GSM network even 3G
    You get phones you cannot get anywhere else in the US.

    Cons:
    You pay a retail price, no subsidies from the carrier.
    You must deal direct with the mfg for warranty, however I've only had one bad phone (out of the 55 I've ordered in two yeas) from Sony Ericsson, and they sent a new replacement with free shipping, plus paid my shipping to them. All in just three days.

    Overall:
    I highly endorse it, no downsides. Lots of fun. Plus when you get ready to sell the phone, there is a huge demand if you are choosing a popular model. I've routinely sold mine on ebay for as much or more than I paid for them.

    Here are three links. The first one GSMArena is for researching phones. It lists every phone available in the world. Quad Band category is the frequency group you are looking for. This way the phone will work on either AT&T or T-Mobile. There are a lot of phones that one cannot use here because they are dual or tri-band phones that operate on frequencies that are not supported here. The second two links are good reliable companies that sell unlocked unbranded (in other words the phone will not be branded as AT&T or other carrier name) phones. My personal favorite is PhoneSource-USA. They are a family run business in Las Vegas, Nevada. You place your order with them and they have the phone shipped directly from one of their distributors in Hong Kong to you. You get a brand new untouched unopened phone. They are always there to answer phone calls etc. However that said, they have a small staff so sometimes you must be patient in waiting for a return call. Email is preferred. They have always provided me with great service.

    The only caution is to be sure you order quad band. Then it will work perfectly. If you're on AT&T by simply inserting the sim card it will automatically set itself up on the network. If on T-Mobile (I have both) sometimes a little setup work is required, but very little and it's easy.

    GSMArena PhoneSource-USA Plemix


  11. #11
    Hack173's Avatar
    Hack173 no está en línea banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Posts
    2,694
    If this "Open Device Alliance" goes thru this will put a heavy hand on all those unlocking stores.

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  12. #12
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Yes, there will be a tremendous amount of impact in a wide variety of areas within the industry. I personally hope it's a success as the amount of development, change and growth will be outstanding. And yet if's far from a sure thing. They are up against the giants of the industry. All of whom are making obscene amounts of money off of us.

    It's like all this warm and fuzzy talk about saving energy and building electric cars. The real truth is that electric cars have been possible for the last decade, and yet EXXON, Chevron and big oil have killed it off as fast as they could. This is why we have the brilliant strategy, invented by Toyota, the hybrid. A way to still keep the oil companies at bay, as they use gas, but also a great way to use electric propulsion. Only Toyota had the big bucks, and thousands of engineers ready and waiting to develop the technology. Politically smart as well, as no one knows better than Toyota about Anti-Japanese sentiment. Even though they now employ more workers in more US plants than any other manufacturer. Interesting indeed.


  13. #13
    Amigotek's Avatar
    Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Posts
    1,569
    Currently you can use a Sprint or Alltell phone on Verizon and a Verizon phone on Sprint (not sure about AllTell units). There are hurdles that must be jumped through prior to being able to use the devices. I know that you must have the original carrier unlock the unit for you first. They will do this as long as two conditions are met: 1. The unit was not reported lost or stolen. 2. The balance on the account which was on the unit is at 0. You then must contact a special department at the carrier that will walk through reprogramming the unit manually and inserting the ESN/MEID into their network to be able to begin using the phone. Of course they all state that there are no warranties or garauntees of full functionality on the network with unsupported devices.

    We have been repeatedly told by customers and have even sold Verizon phones to them that Metro PCS will reflash any CDMA phone for use on their network. I have heard the horror stories of bricked units so it is a position of user caution doing this.

    Officially both Verizon and Sprint support the Open Network Alliance. Unofficially, they don't make it easy to make use of that.

    Zo

  14. #14
    j llama's Avatar
    j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME
    Posts
    4,319
    I wonder how this would effect GPS services...just had to throw that in there
    BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist

  15. #15
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Pros:
    You may buy any phone you wish.
    You get the phone in just days (Phonesource fastest in 4 to 6 days)
    Works on any GSM network even 3G
    You get phones you cannot get anywhere else in the US.

    Cons:
    You pay a retail price, no subsidies from the carrier.
    You must deal direct with the mfg for warranty, however I've only had one bad phone (out of the 55 I've ordered in two yeas) from Sony Ericsson, and they sent a new replacement with free shipping, plus paid my shipping to them. All in just three days.

    Overall:
    I highly endorse it, no downsides. Lots of fun. Plus when you get ready to sell the phone, there is a huge demand if you are choosing a popular model. I've routinely sold mine on ebay for as much or more than I paid for them.

    Here are three links. The first one GSMArena is for researching phones. It lists every phone available in the world. Quad Band category is the frequency group you are looking for. This way the phone will work on either AT&T or T-Mobile. There are a lot of phones that one cannot use here because they are dual or tri-band phones that operate on frequencies that are not supported here. The second two links are good reliable companies that sell unlocked unbranded (in other words the phone will not be branded as AT&T or other carrier name) phones. My personal favorite is PhoneSource-USA. They are a family run business in Las Vegas, Nevada. You place your order with them and they have the phone shipped directly from one of their distributors in Hong Kong to you. You get a brand new untouched unopened phone. They are always there to answer phone calls etc. However that said, they have a small staff so sometimes you must be patient in waiting for a return call. Email is preferred. They have always provided me with great service.

    The only caution is to be sure you order quad band. Then it will work perfectly. If you're on AT&T by simply inserting the sim card it will automatically set itself up on the network. If on T-Mobile (I have both) sometimes a little setup work is required, but very little and it's easy.

    GSMArena PhoneSource-USA Plemix
    Excellent info! Thanks, Archer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •