Hey guys. Just thought I'd share an interesting and possibly useful tip to you all. ... General Blackberry forum

rozzy9 no está en línea Stack level 3

Interesting/Useful Tip

Advertisement

Hey guys. Just thought I'd share an interesting and possibly useful tip to you all. I was watching the weather network channel the other day and they had a guy talking about water damage to Blackberry phones and cell phones. If your phone happens to get some sort of water damage, get a bowl of rice and put the phone/blackberry in the bowl and the moisture will start to disappear. If anyone has some water damage to their phone... try it out and let me know if it works.

Rosalyn.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Interesting/Useful Tip

Theoretically it will work, but it all depends on the situation. It's different for everyone.

I mean if at any point there is corrosion then you're BB may not work. Depends if there was power, fi you took the battery out right away, what kind of fluid did the damage. A lot of variables.

But it wouldn't hurt

dopeyloc718 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E26A21

Wen I azked 2 get a new pearl since my old 1 waz broken from dah scroll wheel a tmo rep azked if a the strip next 2 dah memory card holder waz white or red I don't know if it helpz but yea ~via pearl (official stacker)~

Red means water damage.. haha.

dopeyloc718 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E26A21

yeap the tmo rep was like if its red we cant help you so i was glad dat it waznt
    ~ViA pEaRl (OfFiCiAl sTaCkEr)~

Ya water damage sucks... but if anyone has that problem maybe this rice trick can help them out!

toymachinejg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24232f19

that is a good idea

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Definitely pull the battery right away as reddog187 said.

Quote Originally Posted by rozzy9
    Red means water damage.. haha.
    The carriers will go by the indicator but it's definitely possible to turn the indicator red without any water damage -- say if you carry your BB in your pocket and sweat a lot. It's a bit oversensitive.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I would think it would work to some extent since rice absorbs water. But if that's enough to fix as water-logged bb remains to be seen!

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

as already stated, theoretically this will work but your phone has to be swiming in water in order for the rice to really work effectively. All you need to do is remove the battery and either use a blow dryer on the phone or leave it on a radiator (or any heat source) to dry up the excess water.

this is a great idea but I'm not 100% sure it will work quickly and effectively.
    its worth a shot though.
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

Does it matter if it's long grain, wild, or yellow? What about pilaf?

Mofolepo no está en línea Stack level 2

Does this work on cameras? It's prolly too late now, but my buddy insisted on bringing my camera to an island we kayaked to. When we hiked around, he fell into the water and my camera died. Dammit!

CustomDuals no está en línea Stack level 2

The problem (if you get the battery out quickly after a dunking [and the time frame on that is always questionable]) . . . the problem is more often than not the contaminates in the water. (Read that as microscopic particulates). Remember, tap water is FULL of particulate matter that you can't see.

We had twelve pc's get flooded once. Here was the manuf. solution: drop them all in a tub of distilled water after taking the bios battery out, then let them soalk briefly and slosh the water over the motherboards for several minutes. After that dry them with compressed air then let them air dry for a week.

Believe it or not, evey single one fired back up to life and ran for over a year! (The hard drives were even operable on some).

So . . . it's often the "stuff" in the water as much as the water shorting the darn thing out.

It'll depend on how much "shorting" went on, I think. But if you can get it clean - that's a good start.

I've even heard of people dunkning small "got wet" electonics in pure rubbing alcohol - but I have no experience with that soluntion.

Anyway just some thoughts to pass on. . . .