Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Also posted on AT&T section, but felt more people here may be able to answer ... General Blackberry forum

  1. #1
    Kilted Gnome's Avatar
    Kilted Gnome no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PIN/ID
    24134FF4
    Posts
    71

    Question Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Advertisement



    Also posted on AT&T section, but felt more people here may be able to answer faster.

    AT&T is really lousy at customer satisfaction, or at least the store where I set up service.

    I bought a BB Curve and asked to have it insured. I was told that AT&T doesn't insure the unit (must be the only provider that doesn't) and I would have to use a 3rd party. I said fine and asked for information. They said to come back in a few days and they would have a handout with the information. I went back and then was told that Asurion (which they use) doesn't cover BB. I asked again for information and they now said "we don't know who insures the BB".

    As a business professional with an expensive phone, I can't believe I am the only one who wants to protect their investment. Does anyone know the contact information for a company that will insure this device in case of damage or theft? At least with Verizon (my previous provider) when a problem arose, I could call in, have a refurbished model shipped out and return the old when when the new one arrived. Thank you for any help.

  2. #2
    mudshovel's Avatar
    mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    I find it rather unbelieveable at&t doesn't offer some type of insurance for their phones. have you actually called at&t and asked and not dealt with the halfwits at the local stores??

  3. #3
    Eddie_gauge's Avatar
    Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,970

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by mudshovel
    I find it rather unbelieveable at&t doesn't offer some type of insurance for their phones. have you actually called at&t and asked and not dealt with the halfwits at the local stores??
    Nope they do not any longer. Not even thier precious IPhone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Gnome
    Also posted on AT&T section, but felt more people here may be able to answer faster.

    AT&T is really lousy at customer satisfaction, or at least the store where I set up service.

    I bought a BB Curve and asked to have it insured. I was told that AT&T doesn't insure the unit (must be the only provider that doesn't) and I would have to use a 3rd party. I said fine and asked for information. They said to come back in a few days and they would have a handout with the information. I went back and then was told that Asurion (which they use) doesn't cover BB. I asked again for information and they now said "we don't know who insures the BB".

    As a business professional with an expensive phone, I can't believe I am the only one who wants to protect their investment. Does anyone know the contact information for a company that will insure this device in case of damage or theft? At least with Verizon (my previous provider) when a problem arose, I could call in, have a refurbished model shipped out and return the old when when the new one arrived. Thank you for any help.
    The only thing I can think of is to try Square Trade http://www.squaretrade.com but they may not be able to add a warranty to your unit unless they go through or are affiliated with AT&T. But it's a shot --

  5. #5
    psi chick's Avatar
    psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    465

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    the reason is that at&t does not use refurbished phones. if you need a replacement for whatever reason you get a new phone. it's not cost-effective for them to offer insurance, and if they did people would freak out over the price. so, they don't offer it as it's the lesser of two evils. no matter what they decided to do people are going to complain.

    they told you that you would have use a 3rd party insurance, and if you want insurance then that's what you have to do. it's not their responsibility to research 3rd party vendors for you, and it's undersandable that they would not know. there are people on here with insurance so i'm sure that someone can help you with that. i do not have insurance so i have no idea who offers it for bb.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    I just did a little more poking around at squaretrade dot com, and I believe they will be able to warranty your handheld, if the information you type in to the website matches your receipt if you make a claim. I don't know how expensive they are, though - http://www.squaretrade.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by psi chick
    it's not their responsibility to research 3rd party vendors for you, and it's undersandable that they would not know.
    If 3rd party insurance is available, then AT&T should at least have the information available, don't you think? It's customer service basics, and it's what keeps me at T-Mobile. Companies that are helpful, and seem to do a little extra, seem to come out ahead in the end. Not saying that AT&T is on the brink, , but it's things like this that keep a lot of us away.

  8. #8
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Gnome
    Also posted on AT&T section, but felt more people here may be able to answer faster.

    AT&T is really lousy at customer satisfaction, or at least the store where I set up service.

    I bought a BB Curve and asked to have it insured. I was told that AT&T doesn't insure the unit (must be the only provider that doesn't) and I would have to use a 3rd party. I said fine and asked for information. They said to come back in a few days and they would have a handout with the information. I went back and then was told that Asurion (which they use) doesn't cover BB. I asked again for information and they now said "we don't know who insures the BB".

    As a business professional with an expensive phone, I can't believe I am the only one who wants to protect their investment. Does anyone know the contact information for a company that will insure this device in case of damage or theft? At least with Verizon (my previous provider) when a problem arose, I could call in, have a refurbished model shipped out and return the old when when the new one arrived. Thank you for any help.
    Assurion has covered all but 1 of my replacement devices since I found out about it. However, I am on T-Mobile and you have 14 days from the day you activate service (or purchase a new phone) to add this coverage.

    Details:

    $5.99 per month
    $15 for 3 day shipping of new phone
    $9.99 for 5-7 day shipping of new phone
    Covers accessories (forgot the exact details of this portion of coverage)


  9. #9
    Kilted Gnome's Avatar
    Kilted Gnome no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PIN/ID
    24134FF4
    Posts
    71

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Thank you for your suggestion. For a full replacement, it is only $1.39 per month with them. I'm going for it!

  10. #10
    Kilted Gnome's Avatar
    Kilted Gnome no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PIN/ID
    24134FF4
    Posts
    71

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Mark - I agree. Verizon had a great customer service replacement policy, but if you made any account changes such as minute plans, they extended your contract. Nextel has been ancient in their technology and I gave up on them before going to Verizon. AT&T seemed like they had the greatest coverage, latest phones, rollover minutes etc. BUT, they are coming across as the WORST with people skills. Apparently, from some of the posts on here, even though alot of people have unlimited data w/ their BB, if you use the OZ program, they classify data transmissions towards text messages (not covered in data package) and people have complained about large bills. I am on day 21 of my 30 "tryout" with them, but at this point, it would be too much of a headache to go elsewhere again (number transfer, PIN # sent out to contacts) and I love the Curve (other providers may not have it).

  11. #11
    Eddie_gauge's Avatar
    Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,970

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by psi chick
    the reason is that at&t does not use refurbished phones. if you need a replacement for whatever reason you get a new phone. it's not cost-effective for them to offer insurance, and if they did people would freak out over the price. so, they don't offer it as it's the lesser of two evils. no matter what they decided to do people are going to complain.

    they told you that you would have use a 3rd party insurance, and if you want insurance then that's what you have to do. it's not their responsibility to research 3rd party vendors for you, and it's undersandable that they would not know. there are people on here with insurance so i'm sure that someone can help you with that. i do not have insurance so i have no idea who offers it for bb.
    they do not use refurb phones but they sell refurb phones as a new activation? that's wierd. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ed&allManus=on

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Gnome
    Thank you for your suggestion. For a full replacement, it is only $1.39 per month with them. I'm going for it!
    So did you go with Assurion or with the Square Trade?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Gnome
    Mark - I agree. Verizon had a great customer service replacement policy, but if you made any account changes such as minute plans, they extended your contract. Nextel has been ancient in their technology and I gave up on them before going to Verizon. AT&T seemed like they had the greatest coverage, latest phones, rollover minutes etc. BUT, they are coming across as the WORST with people skills. Apparently, from some of the posts on here, even though alot of people have unlimited data w/ their BB, if you use the OZ program, they classify data transmissions towards text messages (not covered in data package) and people have complained about large bills. I am on day 21 of my 30 "tryout" with them, but at this point, it would be too much of a headache to go elsewhere again (number transfer, PIN # sent out to contacts) and I love the Curve (other providers may not have it).
    Well, for one thing, even if you opt to stay with AT&T you can get plenty of support for your Curve here at the Stacks. The people here have saved my skin many times!! Another thought: If you end your relationship with AT&T before the 30 day trial, can you keep your Curve, or do you have to return it? If you can keep it, it can be unlocked easily and used with T-Mobile (because both AT&T and TMO are GSM and use SIM cards). My experience is that T-Mobile has equal coverage (because your phone can roam for free to any Cingular/AT&T tower when TMO coverage fails, like northern NM, etc.) and I think they have better customer service. If you sign up for TMO with an AT&T locked/branded device, they are more than happy to give you the unlock code and instructions how to use it for free -- I think it makes their day when they steal another AT&T customer! BTW, the PIN number stays the same no matter what provider you use, it's permanently assigned to your Curve even if you switch.

  14. #14
    VZDubtk's Avatar
    VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,436

    Re: Insurance for Blackberry (Cingular)

    they do not use refurb phone for new activations. refurb are used for warranty purposes. as for the iphone that decision to not insure was made by apple not att. As far as pdas being insured it may be available soon. the blackjack just got put on the insurance eligibility list about a week ago
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

  15. #15
    Eddie_gauge's Avatar
    Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by harry3334
    they do not use refurb phone for new activations. refurb are used for warranty purposes. as for the iphone that decision to not insure was made by apple not att. As far as pdas being insured it may be available soon. the blackjack just got put on the insurance eligibility list about a week ago
    check the link doesn't it say new two year contract?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •