Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find a thread regarding ... General Blackberry forum

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2

Installing new language

Advertisement

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find a thread regarding the matter, at least one in newbie terms I could follow, as I am a complete n00b.

I got a pre-owned at&t 8300 unlocked so I use it with my carrier. I really never got a choice of what languages tp keep, so I got stuck with english. Is there any way to add another language to the spelling-checker without having to upgrade or re-install an OS?

If so, could someone give me instructions as if you were talking to an idiot or a 3 yo?

Thanks and regards.

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Installing new language

Ok, I'm not sure if that impacts a spell checker but if you have Desktop Manager installed on your PC
    Connect your BB via USB -> Open Application Loader -> Click "Next" -> Open a list "Language and Input Support".
    You have several languages to pick from. If your is unavailable, you might be able to find it elsewhere.
    Check the box you want and hit "Next" button.

Let me know if it helped.

Good luck!

Hi. Thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately I can't find anything with reference to "Language and Input Support".
    When I connect the BB via USB and open the app loader, then click the "next" button, I get a list of my apps with a checkbox next to them; but no list I can select languages on.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You need to have an OS that has Multi-Language with it. Then you will get the different languages in the app loader. I'm not sure what the latest OS for the Curve is. Just find one that has multi-language and install it.

What language are you looking for?

I'm looking for spanish.
    I fear that if I install an OS to my PC, the apploader will want to update my BB as soon as I connect it, and that's exactly what I want to avoid.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Well I don't think you can get a different language without updating your OS.

Why don't you want to upgrade?

That is a bummer.
    The reason I don't want to mess with my OS is that I feel that's much too technical for me. That's the reason I haven't even messed with trying to unlock the hidden vendor themes. I've read that some Pinstackers have had problems after messing with their OS, such as the white screen of death and endless-spining hourglasses and so on. And since my BB is my is vital to my work, I can't afford to be without it, even for a day.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Well what OS do you have on your Curve?

What OS is installed on your PC?

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...are_links.html
    That thread has a link to the AT&T multilanguage OS. If that's your version then all you would need to do is install that and you would get all the language options.

If you have more questions let me know. It's really easy. Not technical at all. The white screen is a LCD defect. The spinning hourglass is usually newbies freaking out.

Just remember BACKUP is your friend. You can never do it too much. Always do it before doing any tinkering. Most times RESTORE will get you out of any problems you encounter.

Hi again.
    Well you convinced me to upgrade. I'm ready to take the plunge except that in the last step, the apploader is warning me that "after the upgrade i will need to activate my device wirelessly to continue using it".
    Is that simply a fancy term to tell me I will need to re-register with the network? Or is it something more complicated than that?

j0hn00 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242066D4

After reading this thread, I uninstalled DM and installed the multi-language version. When I go to the application loader, I still don't see an option for languages. Only the programs I installed have options. Any ideas?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

J0hn00: The Desktop Manager has nothing to do with it. As long as you have one installed.
    What you need to do is install AN OPERATING SYSTEM that has more than one language on it. When you download one, and install it to your PC, next time you run the DM you'll be asked to update, and that's when you get to choose what languages to install.
    Regards.