Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey stackers, I've totally installed many different OS's on my previous blackberry's. 8320 and 8220. ... General Blackberry forum

shockaholick no está en línea Stack level 3

Installing A New OS

Advertisement

Hey stackers,
    I've totally installed many different OS's on my previous blackberry's. 8320 and 8220. I know have the 8900 from TMO. I unistalled DM 4.6 and installed 4.7 and installed an offical OS release .199 . I also deleted the .xml file as well. When I connect DM it doesn't find any new updates. What am I doing wrong? Someone please help!!!!

Thanks,
    Shockaholick

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Try to navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\app loader\ and then run the .exe file. That should see the update and get you up and running.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    that exe is called "loader.exe"

i second what Mac said above... let us know if that doesnt work for you...

Another couple of things you may want to consider...
    1. many people have had different problems with dm 4.7... i recommend you use dm 4.6
    2. its always a good thing to do a reboot on your system after you install an upgrade OS for your device...
    Last edited by reddrvgon; 04-05-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added more info...
    i see RED...

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Thanks red for the name of it. I'm at work and forgot what the name was. As much as I do an update I should know it by heart. Lol

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Fyi: to date this has been the only way I've been able to update using 4.7.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    That's how I do it everytime. It takes me like 15min to update with 4.7.

sooo....i did everything you guys said and still nothing...i did the same with 4.6......now...in the app loader folder the loader.exe file...is that the file that directs you to the app loader? bc thats the file i found thats directing to the app loader...what the hell am i doing wrong..i never ever had any problems doing an OS upgrade. i'm going to unistall 4.7...install 4.6....reboot...unistall the OS on the computer...reboot then reinstall...reboot...and see what happens...i'm so lost right now...please help!!!

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    I found that you may have to leave the vendor.xml file intact.
    I had the same problem as you. I used the update from Sprint on my Verizon phone, So - deleted the vendor file and it would not find the update either. So I left the file in and Yee Haa, it worked. Also I had problems with the DM 4.7 so I went back to 4.6. For whatever reason, sometimes you have to keep the vendor.xml file, even if it's from a different carrier.

Here's what I've done with my 8900.

First delete vendor.xml
    Second back up
    Third go to programs/common files/RIM and in the first folder listed (can't remember name) is a file called apploader.exe
    Click on it and you should be up and running. Follow it through and you should be done in about 15 20 min.

the os will load in 15 to 20 jfcooley? doesnt the os usually take like 45 min to load? thats what my experiecne has been

Yep, but most of the time its been quicker in my expierence with the 8900. I was surprised as well. I've never had it take that long since updating this device.
    I know it sounds crazy, but I've done it 3 times.

sooo should i install the new os first then delete the vendor file or..install then delete it ?

Delete vendor first. Otherwise you won't be able to update. It'll be just like when you updated your prev berries. You're just using app loader.
    Keep in mind I gave you my experience (and some others) with the time taken to update. Could take a little longer.
    Be sure to remove mem card if you have one as well. Get a cup of coffee and go to it.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    the vendor.xml file will appear after you install the OS file to your computer... then you delete it...

it has to be deleted before you connect your bb to your laptop and click on the loader.exe file...

this is the easiest way, ive actually modified the vendor.xml file before and it works that way too, but thats just a waste of time... holds no importance...

id give it a good 15 to 45 mins... like jay said... it may work in 15, but if you're tempted to disconnect the usb cable, DONT !!!

and definitely take out your memory card before you do anything... the sim card can stay in there... memory card has to go...
    i see RED...

I see I misunderstood what he meant about the vendor file. Thanks for catching that Red.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast