I haven't upgraded yet and my device/OS does not render HTML. One hidden advantage has ... General Blackberry forum

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

In praise of not rendering HTML

Advertisement

I haven't upgraded yet and my device/OS does not render HTML. One hidden advantage has shown up time and again: I receive for instance an email ostensibly from Paypal re my credit card. What would have appeared as a link ready to click now shows up in two parts: the name of the link, Paypal as expected, and the link itself -- a server in Russia or Romania or so... totally unrelated to Paypal!

Thus older BBs/ OSs reveal the forgery, protecting you from this kind of phishing.

lilpbit no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wow, that's pretty good. And really lucky. There are so mnay fraud e-mails out there...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    You're one of the few that actually read links before clicking on them. If more people did that we'd have a big decrease in fraud and virus distribution.

Good for you.

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!
    I don't mean for this to sound insulting or as if I am trying to put anyone down so if it comes across that way I apologize. It is simply meant to be helpful.

I would NEVER recommend following any link in an email if it is any way related to money or your finances. In fact, most legit emails from banks or in this instance PayPal, will tell you to go to the site and login and not give you a link. True sites know of the phishing schemes.

It only makes sense to navigate to your banks website (or whoever) instead of following an email link.

Html email is safe as long as the user is constantly aware of the dangers. Also, you can highlight any link on your bb and hit Menu-> link address to see the full link.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if it seemed degrading or insulting, I assure you it was not meant to. Just trying to help in future instances.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quite right, disctosser. The scammers rely on numbers -- that a certain percentage of people will be taken in and do something silly. It is not difficult at all to duplicate a site... but it is a bit harder to camouflage a link! Actually seeing
    the link ought to protect a good part of the net-innocents .