Well...sort of...I installed SHOUTcast on my server and radiobee on my blackberry and now I ... General Blackberry forum

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

I'm using my Verizon Wireless 8703e blackberry as an mp3 player!

Advertisement

Well...sort of...I installed SHOUTcast on my server and radiobee on my blackberry and now I am streaming my mp3s to my bb....no control but better than nothing..

Here is the order of things I did:

www.shoutcast.com then click download in the menu at the top.

then click be a server and then "click here to download" and downloaded that
    then back and clicked the "be a DJ link" and downloaded the DSP plugin
    then back and clicked the "be a listener" link and downloaded the basic player

Then, I installed winamp, then the DSP plugin, then the shout cast server.

I left all of the configuration stuff alone in the server and followed the quick setup instructions that come with the DSP plugin.

Next I went to my router and used port forwarding to forward traffic on port 8000 and 8001 to my server

Then I opened winamp and chose the directory of my mp3s, then ran the server, then the DSP plugin and told it to connect.

then on my laptop I opened winamp and typed in the address of my server (for example myserver.com:8000) and it worked, now time to move it to the blackberry with radiobee so...

Next I downloaded radio bee on my bb, www.radiobee.com/rb.jar and installed it

once you install radiobee your berry may want to reboot, mine did once and didnt a different time so if it does dont be surprised

Next I ran radiobee and went to settings (click the thumb wheel on mine, I guess click the ball on berrys with a pearl interface)

I edited the settings thus:
    chunk size: 5000
    buffer size: 500000
    debugLevel: 1
    min play: 400000
    timeout 1: 1000
    timeout 2: 1000
    buffer type: DOUBLE
    keep sock?: no
    keep out?: no
    close out?: no
    flush out?: no

Then I saved the settings and went back to the station selection screen.
    Here is where the problem sets in, I never am able to add a new station and have it work, however, when I started at the top of the list and went down one at a time untill one worked properly, then I stopped it playing (click stop under the menu and it will go back to the station selection menu, but the music will keep playing, this is normal) and edited it to my station..for example

Virgin Radio worked for me, so I changed the name from Virgin Radio to my name and the address to the address of my stream...

then I clicked OK and went back to the station selection screen, clicked what is now my station and clicked play...it takes a few seconds for it to begin playing, but after about 10 seconds or so or works perfectly, without skipping at all.. if it takes too long for yours to start then go back to the settings and change chunk size, buffer size and min play down a little bit...

Good luck and if you need any help just PIN me and I will answer you promptly...also a new radio bee version is in the works so I am sure the add station bug will be fixed!

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: I'm using my Verizon Wireless 8703e blackberry as an mp3 player!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's way too much work. I keep putting in these forums that the 87xx series has a built-in MP3 player but no one seems to get it. I've put in my own directions that are (I think) very simple. Ah well, I'll just keep reading how the 87xx series can't play MP3s while I listen to them on my Verizon 8703e.

The essence of it is that if you do a "SavePage" instead of "Save" when you download a song then you get to play the whole thing, not just 60 seconds.

rokinDa8703e, thank you for sharing with us a different way to play music on the 87xx series.

PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

heh, I know theres a built in mp3 player, streaming with radio bee is just a different way of doing it, yes you could just make a directory on your server for mp3s, and do it that way, which ever works best but I was just shareing

plus, once its set up, its less actual work than doing it one at a time
    Last edited by rokinDa8703e; 03-11-2007 at 11:06 PM.

scubalocker no está en línea Stack level 1

Well, I guess, for now, I'm going to stick with the car stereo out and the tv remote in...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I appreciate your input and your different methods. The way I do it is to store the MP3s permanently on my 8703e...at least till I change my playlist. :-). And its dreadfully simple to do.

PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

Incase anyone is wondering about the method bartok is mentioning, its easier to make a folder on your server without any pages in it, just folders with mp3s in them, and allow directory browsing, its much easier than coding thousands of a hrefs

tina_twyman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30d4e1b6

I imagine I should be able to do a search and find bartokbatt's instructions. I'll try and see...rokinDa8703e is way to techy for me...Server? LOL

sam007 no está en línea Stack level 1

bartokbatt

Where is the built-in mp3 player for the 8703e? I cannot find it

PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

It opens when you play an mp3 from a browser session