Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've had my 8100 for about 1 month, I love the suretype and the device ... General Blackberry forum

waldog no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C43423

I'm thinking about leaving BB.

Advertisement

I've had my 8100 for about 1 month, I love the suretype and the device itself. I noticed that almost everything for BB you have to pay for. Even themes cost money. I've owned every type of phone in the past and never saw a theme that you had to pay for. I also can't bare the cost of some of the apps. Some apps are $39. That seems a bit to steep for me. I don't mind paying for apps, I just think some apps are to much. I also don't like having to do a battery pull every other day. The os install takes forever and some apps can't be uninstalled without a fresh os install or a wipe.

happy1240 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BD62DA

Re: I'm thinking about leaving BB.

Oh please give bb more time. I have alot of applications for free. Google free blackberry downloads and there are several. There are themes here for free. Not to say I have bought some games but they were only a couple bucks. But there are free games also. Google like a I said and you will find several. Hope you stay!

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

I am on my BB so hard to post the link to the thread link for themes... All free! Also try this site
    www.*********.com
    All themes are free and there are many other things avail too
    Give the pearl more time
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

Ha yeah I forgot
    I'll PM it to ya

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    I've had my 8100 for about 1 month, I love the suretype and the device itself. I noticed that almost everything for BB you have to pay for. Even themes cost money. I've owned every type of phone in the past and never saw a theme that you had to pay for. I also can't bare the cost of some of the apps. Some apps are $39. That seems a bit to steep for me. I don't mind paying for apps, I just think some apps are to much. I also don't like having to do a battery pull every other day. The os install takes forever and some apps can't be uninstalled without a fresh os install or a wipe.
    Sorry you are getting frustrated with the pearl. I would say to stick with it. The only thing extra i pay for is the data feature. There are plenty of free themes programs and applications out there, i have gone through many and never paid for it. We have an extensive application selection here under downloads most are free. As far as the issues you are having with loading the apps i have never had to wipe an os to install a program. What os do you have, what program are you loading and how are you loading it? We are here to help and if we can make you more satisfied with your BB then that is a bonus too.
    Last edited by Eddie_gauge; 09-01-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Zekialstone no está en línea Stack level 3

There are many free applications out there for BB. You have to spend time doing some searching, but I think it is worth it. Only application I have paid for is JiveTalk. I have about 15 other awesome 3rd party applications that were free

PIN/ID
    21C43423

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge
    As far as the issues you are having with loading the apps i have never had to wipe an os to install a program. What os do you have, what program are you loading and how are you loading it? We are here to help and if we can make you more satisfied with your BB then that is a bonus too.
    I installed google talk and the live weather updates, I can't uninstall either. I'm on os 1.07 and installed both from OTA. I tried with DM and in the BB os to remove them, but no luck.

When in the DM and you go to the app loader icon in the applications list are these programs there?

also when you try to delete from the options, adv options, applications what happens? does it give an error?

PIN/ID
    21C43423

The apps don't show in DM or in the advanced - applications. I can't even see them in any to be able to try to delete them. I did a battery pull and still no luck.

But they show up in the menu on the BB? Are you able to use them?

Where did you get the apps from? can you provide me the address?

I just downlaoded google talk from mobile.blackberry.com and it shows up in the applications list. I am running .107 as well. Is that were you got the program or did you get it elswhere?

PIN/ID
    21C43423

http://www.blackberry.com/GoogleTalk...EC18FBC691A3E7 Is where I got googletalk from.. :P

The weather one came from BB site as OTA.

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

I have to say that, after six or eight weeks of using a Pearl (my first bb), my experience is quite different.

First off, how often do you need to reinstall the OS? Yeah, it'll take an hour, but I don't expect to do it very often.

As for resetting your device, there's a program (FREE) by the guy who wrote Color Pearl (also FREE, but he asks for donations if you like his programs) which will allow you to soft reset your Pearl without doing a battery pull as long as the device hasn't locked up. My Pearl locked up twice in the six weeks I've had it, due to reinstalling bbweather (also FREE). Once I came to pinstack and read up on the known issue, I was able to easily enter the location data I needed for bbweather, and it hasn't given me any problems since (great program, by the way, to quickly check the weather in numerous locations!)

I've also found so many FREE themes, that my problem is choosing which to delete as they're taking up too much of my memory. I can't believe you honestly have trouble finding some amazing FREE themes. Yeah, some will cost you $2, 3, but if you don't want to spend the money, don't get 'em. There are PLENTY of free themes.

Other free apps:

VR+ Voice recorder for taking voice notes (FREE, unless you want/need to send voice attachments, which I really don't want)
    Pacman with sound and Pearl control
    InfoSpace FindIt
    Beyond411
    Clock (world time)
    Opera Mini Beta2
    bbweather
    Chronograph (stop watch, timer)
    Viigo
    xPlayer (new media player, for MP3's and soon, video)
    Chronos
    Berry-A-Code (displays city location of incoming calls not in your contacts file)
    AskMeNow

Not saying your experience is wrong, and mine is right, I'm just amazed if you feel that "I noticed that almost everything for BB you have to pay for"

I've paid for Empower ($10), and a few themes, because I dl'd so many from one Pinstack member for free, I felt guilty and decided to purchase a few of her themes... I splurged, and spent about $6!

Also purchased PocketDay and InfoMatrix. InfoMatrix was expensive, but they give you a week to try it out, and again, if you don't feel anything is worth the money, don't purchase it. The bb, with the built in apps, already provides quite a lot of functionality.

My two cents....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast