Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

if i had a dollar for every time my IR connection broke off in the ... General Blackberry forum

mokozi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205B88F5

Re: I'm calling RiM.. out , give us Ir.. !

Advertisement

if i had a dollar for every time my IR connection broke off in the middle of a transfer... KA-CHING!
    "my sleep has been arrested, leaving me awake and frustrated.
    with my mind's constant racing thoughts, even counting sheep is all for naught..."

Mark "Mokozi" Chionh
    (-_-")PIN: 205B88F5

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

If my laptop had a bluetooth receiver, would I be able to sync automatically with outlook without a cable? It seems that's what you guys are alluding to and I'm about to get a new laptop, so this could be timely.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Yup -- just read RIM's knowledgebase article and be aware of the prerequisites mentioned in the article.

Island3r no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249FFD2A

Only real benefit I can see is if someine wrote a program for use as a TV remote.

Juneway no está en línea Stack level 1

I made my old windows mobile controle the Satalite tuner and i thought i was so cool, but i only used it to mess with the kids when they had friends over but when i got my pearl i met another new pearl user and wanted to send my contacts to him. (this was when i discuverd BB dosent have IR) at first i thought this was strange but I forwarded my contact info via e-mail and he had it within ten seconds. what more can you ask for Push e-mail has kept me out of the office for weeks. i get e-mail on my phone before it hits my computer now.
    if you have IR on your phone now, ask your self.. how often do you really use it. its a cool thing to have but if you have something bett (bluetooth) you wont use it, dont need it.,..

budkleppe no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thought I'd raise this thread from the dead... Most next-generation lockboxes for realtors use IR for their communication. The Realtors with the Treo phones can open the lockboxes with their phones, I have to walk around with another device that ONLY opens lockboxes.

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    you make a very good point. although IR is kinda outdated compared to bluetooth so i think you will prolly see those lockboxes upgraded to bluetooth before RIM puts IR on their devices
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

Although, one would think that would be the case, but in the condo world, all of the lockboxes are bunched together, meaning if you were using bluethooth, you wouldn't be able to select which one you wanted. One of the buildings were I have listings now has over 14 lockboxes up.

I do agree however that IR is a dying technology, and it will be just for very specific things. (like realtor lockboxes).

With all this being said, I still don't think it would be worth RIM's time/effort to include IR on future devices. Who knows, maybe there can be a workaround for bluetooth lockboxes.

I can point to one reason most realtor association use IR lockboxes; Our association, in general, is very technophobic! It seems that just us youngens are pushing the envelope when it comes to technology.

ConstantineXVI no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244EB7DA
    Quote Originally Posted by budkleppe View Post
    Although, one would think that would be the case, but in the condo world, all of the lockboxes are bunched together, meaning if you were using bluethooth, you wouldn't be able to select which one you wanted. One of the buildings were I have listings now has over 14 lockboxes up.
    You'd use this handy part of Bluetooth called "pairing". Every BT device has it's own identifier called a MAC address (same with NICs on PCs), and they use a (usually unique) passcode to pair up with other devices. So while you can't physically isolate BT signals like IR can, the protocol is designed to eliminate that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstantineXVI View Post
    You'd use this handy part of Bluetooth called "pairing". Every BT device has it's own identifier called a MAC address (same with NICs on PCs), and they use a (usually unique) passcode to pair up with other devices. So while you can't physically isolate BT signals like IR can, the protocol is designed to eliminate that problem.
    Interesting...

The only problem again, is the time to pair devices. I've paired a few devices via BT and it's not really that quick. I'm sure by the time the new lockboxes roll around there will be improvements to the technology.

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    bluetooth connect speeds are only 1mb. in comparison your cable modem connects at 100mb
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12