Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't give me that crap about secur|ty , give me infrared. It's the only thing ... General Blackberry forum

XMIM no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

I'm calling RiM.. out , give us Ir.. !

Advertisement

Don't give me that crap about secur|ty , give me infrared.

It's the only thing from keeping me from jumping ship!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: I'm calling RiM.. out , give us Ir.. !

What about bluetooth?

I used infrared one time to transfer contacts, didnt like how it had to be pointed directly at the other port.

What would you use infrared for?

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

With the Treo, I found that bluetooth transfer was much faster than infrared.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i agree witht the bluetooth it transfers faster and from a distance w/o having to face a port like cp mentioned

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Let's see, what are the advantages of IR transfer?

1. Both devices have to be facing IR port to IR port.
    2. Devices must be in close proximity
    3. Any movement of either device will interupt the transfer
    4. IR compatibility is not universal

Did I leave any out?
    Just one more thing/app to take up space, processing speed and memory on the Device. I don't think the demand is there.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~and its slower! And is phasing out.

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

The reason devices have stopped using IR is being phased out is because of BT.
    In addition to that the old Blackberrys (blue) 6200 and 7200 series did have IR. I know because I use to use a free little IR remote control app for my TV. It was neat I guess but it wasn't exactly the best feature about the BB, even at that time. When I moved to the 8700c I didn't even notice there wasn't an IR port for a while and when I did I just started us BT instead.
    my 2 cents

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

awwww maaaaan I wanna use my BB to change the channel on my TV!!
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

elrey718 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B82A8F

how do i use bluetooth the transfer stuff?
    Who talks on the phone anymore. Email or PIN me, I will get back to you faster.

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

IrDA, IR, call it what you will, it's slow (it's a legacy serial device that gets at best 36Kbps) and all the other reasons mentioned above. The IrDa on PDA's has never been powerful enough to change channels on your tv, the only device that was, was the iPaq, and the software never worked right.

If anything, forget IrDA, give us Wireless USB! Yeah Baby!

XMIM no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Thumbs up Re: I'm calling RiM.. out , give us Ir.. !

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    What about bluetooth?
    What about it ? BlueTooth is BlueTooth , InfraRed and Enhanced InfraRed is InfraRed.
    I used infrared one time to transfer contacts, didnt like how it had to be pointed directly at the other port.
    Think about that for A second , you just answered your next question.

What would you use infrared for?
    There are many things , most importantly unlike BT i know my wireless signal can't be HiJacked. If it's wireless it's A Air Based signal that ANYONE can pickup on. Atleast if my phone's in my pocket , I KNOW for sure no one can jack into my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyslix
    With the Treo, I found that bluetooth transfer was much faster than infrared.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ofcoarse it would , most of the Treo's out have standard Ir not enhanced IR. Also most of the Treo's out are not standardized to use this type of connection. , as well as by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by diaz1023
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i agree witht the bluetooth it transfers faster and from a distance w/o having to face a port like cp mentioned
    What port ? , You know you can have more than one IR receiver and transceiver .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Let's see, what are the advantages of IR transfer?
    1. Both devices have to be facing IR port to IR port.
    2. Devices must be in close proximity
    3. Any movement of either device will interupt the transfer
    4. IR compatibility is not universal
    Did I leave any out?
    Just one more thing/app to take up space, processing speed and memory on the Device. I don't think the demand is there.
    Rcbjr.
    Thanks for taking such an impartial and unbiased view RCBJR ir.. compatibility IS universal ,you just need the know how to talk to each IR enabled device.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~and its slower! And is phasing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalslack
    The reason devices have stopped using IR is being phased out is because of BT.
    In addition to that the old Blackberrys (blue) 6200 and 7200 series did have IR. I know because I use to use a free little IR remote control app for my TV. It was neat I guess but it wasn't exactly the best feature about the BB, even at that time. When I moved to the 8700c I didn't even notice there wasn't an IR port for a while and when I did I just started us BT instead.
    my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by mistadobolin
    awwww maaaaan I wanna use my BB to change the channel on my TV!!
    By no means is it phasing out , by no means is it significantly slower , all new Sony Erricsson's and the upcoming Samsung phones will have ir. Digitalslack , Where/What is this remote application ?
    Quote Originally Posted by elrey718
    how do i use bluetooth the transfer stuff?
    Look for more information at BlueTooth.ORG

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by XMIM
    What about it ? BlueTooth is BlueTooth , InfraRed and Enhanced InfraRed is InfraRed. Think about that for A second , you just answered your next question.

There are many things , most importantly unlike BT i know my wireless signal can't be HiJacked. If it's wireless it's A Air Based signal that ANYONE can pickup on. Atleast if my phone's in my pocket , I KNOW for sure no one can jack into my phone. Ofcoarse it would , most of the Treo's out have standard Ir not enhanced IR. Also most of the Treo's out are not standardized to use this type of connection. , as well as by default. What port ? , You know you can have more than one IR receiver and transceiver . Thanks for taking such an impartial and unbiased view RCBJR ir.. compatibility IS universal ,you just need the know how to talk to each IR enabled device. By no means is it phasing out , by no means is it significantly slower , all new Sony Erricsson's and the upcoming Samsung phones will have ir. Digitalslack , Where/What is this remote application ? Look for more information at BlueTooth.ORG
    Ok first is the range.... Bluetooth max range is 300 feet vs irda 3 feet. And there is too many uses for bluetooth. I want to be able to do something without aiming it withing 3 feet of the other object. Its like comparing a broom to a Vacuum.

Its silly just send a simple contact to another phone I have to be in kissing distance just to do it. irda is not coming to a Blackberry because its not practical anymore.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Have you bothered contacting RIM? I'm sure if they were swamped by requests for IR they would seriously consider it. I can only assume there's really not much demand for it.

thablkpanda no está en línea Stack level 1

I'll agree with that, guys- I mean, really. IR is seriously phasing out, and being replaced with Bluetooth. The transfer rates are for a fact slower. Try to transfer 100 contacts via IR, then try it again via BT. It's quite a difference.

Security? Set your device to non-discoverable mode, enable a password. Done. Unless there's a major (I mean major) security flaw in the device's firmware (and not just that ONE device, the whole lot of them), it's not possible to hack something that's not broadcasting. If you're so concerned about security- I imagine you shut down your BB radio when you're not using it- to stop people from hacking into your phone. Not very logical IMO.

The range has been touched on numerous times. IR connections have to be constantly on the same plane, and within a very short range. In optimal situations, you'd have the devices placed on a flat surface, facing each other, while their respective owners poke at the buttons from above. Whereas you can be across the confrence room table from an individual, and send them your e-card via Bluetooth. Sorry man, IR is just old-school news now, as far as the technology populus is concerned.

By the way- I don't mean to offend anyone, I just tend to push a point very strongly.

Chris

BMasiak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CBC5EC

Quote Originally Posted by XMIM
    Digitalslack , Where/What is this remote application ?
    I second that question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast