Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dushdavj

I'm lining up with everyone else here, discouraged about BlackBerry and selling my Bold. However, ... General Blackberry forum

If BB10 is Like PlayBook's 2.0 . . .

Advertisement

I'm lining up with everyone else here, discouraged about BlackBerry and selling my Bold. However, I gotta say that if the full touch-screen Berry coming out in early 2013 has an OS similar to the QNX 2.0 on the PlayBook, they may stand a chance. The PlayBook with its updated OS is very, very nice. I just wish BB could launch their BB10 devices earlier than 2013!

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I'm also hoping to see RIM make a comeback, since more choices for consumers are always a good thing.

However, I do not see myself switching to a BlackBerry even if one were to be released. I've pretty much gotten into the Windows ecosystem (SkyDrive/Office), which should be even more integrated once Windows 8 (desktop and phone) rolls out this fall; therefore, I cannot see what RIM could offer that Microsoft does not and will not.

I already want a Surface Pro tablet and am going to give serious consideration toward buying a Windows Phone 8 device at full retail, since I got my Nokia Lumia 900 free after rebate. Whether or not I get a new smartphone is yet to be decided, depending upon what is new in Windows Phone 8 that will not be available in Windows Phone 7.8. If the main difference is games, I'll wait until my contract is up.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    BB10 is supposedly a major improvement on OS2. Like Laura I will likely go to MS Surface but not as a replacement for my Playbook more as a replacement for my notebook. The Playbook has replaced many of the functions of my BB andits so much more. It is a good replacement for short business trips, plus I can check all my personal email-mails pay all personal bills etc without carrying a work and personal laptop, plus with SugarSync I have access to everything on all personal computers. For example I was able to send a fax to the tax office from it today which I would not have done from the office computer. Best of all it is small and portable.
    lak611 likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    I really think a 10" tablet, like the Surface Pro is the "sweet spot". A 7" tablet is just not big enough to replace a smartphone or a laptop, especially if one has a touchscreen smartphone with a 4"+ size.

I just installed the Amazon Kindle app for my Nokia Lumia 900 and downloaded a free e-book. I have no trouble reading the book, and the app remembers where I left off (chapter 2 so far).

I also have the OverDrive app, so I can get library books, which I have used in the past.

The Amazon Kindle app is new to me. This is the first time I've used it.
    Laura

You may think I'm crazy, but although Windows Phone 7.5 is much better than the old BB OS (that's why I'm selling my Bold), the QNX 2.0 on the PlayBook is better than Mango. Both are excellent, but there are some refinements on the PlayBook's OS that make it a little sharper than Windows Phone. Maybe I'll put together a comparison point-by-point. If OS10 is going to be an improvement on the PlayBook's OS, this may be good news for BlackBerry. The bad news: 1. It's taking too long to launch; 2. People don't like BB any more and may not buy RIM devices even if the OS is a rocker.

Any Stackers that have not used a PlayBook yet, the os is pretty sharp.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    You may think I'm crazy, but although Windows Phone 7.5 is much better than the old BB OS (that's why I'm selling my Bold), the QNX 2.0 on the PlayBook is better than Mango. Both are excellent, but there are some refinements on the PlayBook's OS that make it a little sharper than Windows Phone. Maybe I'll put together a comparison point-by-point. If OS10 is going to be an improvement on the PlayBook's OS, this may be good news for BlackBerry. The bad news: 1. It's taking too long to launch; 2. People don't like BB any more and may not buy RIM devices even if the OS is a rocker.

Any Stackers that have not used a PlayBook yet, the os is pretty sharp.
    Mark, I'd like to see a comparison of Playbook 2.0 and Windows Phone 7.5.

My main issue with BlackBerry is the lack of an ecosystem. I don't want to bother with SugarSync, DropBox, or any 3rd-party cloud service. I'd rather just use SkyDrive.

Also, I like MS Office, not DocumentsToGo or some other option. I bought DocumentsToGo Premium when I used BlackBerry, and it was limited in features compared to real MS Office. DocumentsToGo was so clunky that I uninstalled it on my BlackBerry, despite having paid almost $30 for it; it was the most expensive app purchase mistake I've ever made.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Mark, I'd like to see a comparison of Playbook 2.0 and Windows Phone 7.5.

My main issue with BlackBerry is the lack of an ecosystem. I don't want to bother with SugarSync, DropBox, or any 3rd-party cloud service. I'd rather just use SkyDrive.

Also, I like MS Office, not DocumentsToGo or some other option. I bought DocumentsToGo Premium when I used BlackBerry, and it was limited in features compared to real MS Office. DocumentsToGo was so clunky that I uninstalled it on my BlackBerry, despite having paid almost $30 for it; it was the most expensive app purchase mistake I've ever made.
    Specifically comparing the features you mentioned is easy, because I've used them side by side for a little over a month now. Both systems (Mango and OS 2.0) have strengths and weaknesses, and some of their features come down to personal taste.

1. Syncing/SkyDrive. On BB's PlayBook with 2.0, a user sets up sync identically to Windows Phone. I have both devices syncing with Google, Windows Live and Yahoo with both Calendar and Email. If I receive a new email in my Gmail box, it arrives virtually at the same time on both devices. If I read the email on the PlayBook, it will immediately show as having been read on the HTC. Also, if I change or add a calendar entry on one device (either one) it is immediately on the other device's calendar. This capability was not present in the old BlackBerry OS, but hopefully will be in OS10. SkyDrive is very good - When I take a picture on my HTC it is immediately in a folder on my PC's desktop. If I change a Word document using Office on the HTC, the changes are already in the document on my PC. Just like magic. However, Windows Phone devices will not set up as mass storage on a PC or laptop. If you want to transfer media files, the only options are SkyDrive and the Zune software. This is where my personal taste comes in I guess - I want to be able to USB the Windows phone to my PC and transfer, rename, move, create folders and files as if the phone is a USB drive. Playbook lets you do that, Windows does not. I want to study the capabilities of the Zune software a little more, but it looks like you cannot do simple file transfers using it - only syncs. For someone like me, that's a weakness. But, like I said, it may be that I just don't know how to do it yet.

RIM recently bought DataViz, the company that makes and markets Documents to Go. The Documents to Go on the PlayBook is very strong, and is vastly different than the pay version that was on BB smartphones. I also bought that version for my Bold and regretted it! However, the new version on the PlayBook is better than the version of Office on Windows Phone 7.5: 1. It will load both doc and docx, whereas on Mango the Office only loads doc; 2. There are many more format options on the PlayBook than the HTC. Fonts, colors, text size, etc have more options on Docs to Go than on Office. 3. The menu, arrayed across the top of the screen, is much more intuitive on the BlackBerry. It is more similar to the PC version of word, with icons across the top of the screen. 4. Of course, greater screen size - but that's not a fair OS comparison.

I think I will do a point-by-point comparison, maybe in our Blog section here at Pinstack. The UI, Multitasking, menus and sub-menus, folders, icons vs live tiles, closing applications, etc. To me it's interesting because the QNX on the PlayBook is (supposedly) an experimental version of OS10 and gives us a glimpse of what RIM will be using in OS10 come 2013.

PIN/ID
    no more

RIM recently bought DataViz, the company that makes and markets Documents to Go. The Documents to Go on the PlayBook is very strong, and is vastly different than the pay version that was on BB smartphones. I also bought that version for my Bold and regretted it! However, the new version on the PlayBook is better than the version of Office on Windows Phone 7.5: 1. It will load both doc and docx, whereas on Mango the Office only loads doc;
    Actually, that's the opposite. Mango supports editing of .docx, but not .doc files. NoDo, the previous Windows Phone OS prior to Mango did support editing of .doc files.

I've used .docx since 2007, though, so it is not an issue to me. My current desktop version of Office is 2010 Professional.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Actually, that's the opposite. Mango supports editing of .docx, but not .doc files. NoDo, the previous Windows Phone OS prior to Mango did support editing of .doc files.

I've used .docx since 2007, though, so it is not an issue to me. My current desktop version of Office is 2010 Professional.
    You're right, I got it backwards. The thing that bugged me is that I do work on Excel files and Word files from our restaurant managers all over the country. Some use Doc and xls, others use docx and xlsx. On the PlayBook, the software loads both; on Mango it doesn't. In my circumstance, the Docs to Go on the RIM device would be a little more useful because of that. However, I'm wondering if the Office app on Win8 would be updated to load both formats? Or are they trying to make us leave behind Doc and Xls files for good?

PIN/ID
    no more
    You're right, I got it backwards. The thing that bugged me is that I do work on Excel files and Word files from our restaurant managers all over the country. Some use Doc and xls, others use docx and xlsx. On the PlayBook, the software loads both; on Mango it doesn't. In my circumstance, the Docs to Go on the RIM device would be a little more useful because of that. However, I'm wondering if the Office app on Win8 would be updated to load both formats? Or are they trying to make us leave behind Doc and Xls files for good?
    I wouldn't mind seeing .doc and .xls going away for good. Those are ancient file formats and are insecure. Office 2003 is ancient these days and needs to be killed off already, like IE6 and XP.
    Laura