I wish we knew all the little changes that would happen when we upgrade to ... General Blackberry forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

I wish we knew...../rant

Advertisement

I wish we knew all the little changes that would happen when we upgrade to a newer OS. I hated one change so much, that I actually downgraded to my original OS.

I made the upgrade in the 1st place because I was not getting any LED or audible alerts when receiving messages on BBM. I would get the little smiley face with the red star, but that's it. So after spending much time, rebooting and messing with settings, I was advised to upgrade to a newer OS, so I did. That did solve my alerts issues with BBM so I was thrilled.....until I got to the media player.

Here's the problem: I have downloaded full length movies that were ripped and converted on my PC onto my media card. The software I use splits the movies up into roughly 20 minute sections/chapters. Not a big deal since on my media player in OS 4.3.0.81 I could add the chapters in order to a playlist. I could then go to music>playlists> and select the playlist for my movie. Other than a very brief pause between chapters it would play them one after another untill I stopped it or the movie ended. When I upgraded to 4.3.0.97...that option was gone...:cry:.....my playlist had no files, and when I went to videos there was no option to add videos to playlist, the chapter would end mid sentance and I would have to manually tell it to play the next one.....I HATED IT!

So, I downgraded the OS to the original, thankfully the fresh reload of the OS fixed my BBM issues so that is working well, and I have my video playlists back

I REALLY WISH WE KNEW ALL THE LITTLE CHANGES IN ADVANCE SO WE COULD DECIDE IF IT'S WORTH THE BOTHER! ok i feel better now
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Sorry to hear about all your troubles , but unless a particular version release has been out for a while, all early adapters are, well...gineau pigs

I'm glad you were able to get everything working again - it's no fun when your BB doesn't work like it should which is something we're all used to.

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    well you could always do some research on the OS before installing it. if they are the beta releases like boss said then you will be a guinea pig. its always good to wait for the full release

Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    well you could always do some research on the OS before installing it. if they are the beta releases like boss said then you will be a guinea pig. its always good to wait for the full release
    Thanks for your input, but this was not a beta....it also has been out for a while, but it is very difficult to research...RIM doesn't post what every little change that will be in all the little upgrades they do throughout the year. Big changes like 4.5 they tell you details so people get hyped up about it. But in the little upgrades there are small little changes that many users may not even notice....I just noticed one that was big to me.

I'll try beta applications......but never a beta OS! I don't have time to deal with the issues that would pop up!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Thanks for your input, but this was not a beta....it also has been out for a while, but it is very difficult to research...RIM doesn't post what every little change that will be in all the little upgrades they do throughout the year. Big changes like 4.5 they tell you details so people get hyped up about it. But in the little upgrades there are small little changes that many users may not even notice....I just noticed one that was big to me.

I'll try beta applications......but never a beta OS! I don't have time to deal with the issues that would pop up!

yes but also you gotta remember, the more ppl that beta test and give feedback the more stable the OS will be. its kinda like a catch 22. you dont want to use the beta bc of all the glitches yet if you dont use it enough then the full version gets released with hidden glitches.

That's what RIM should be paying for......their employees should be the ones testing it. We're not talking about some cheap 3rd party application. With the prices of the device and service this should be fully tested by RIM before release IMO.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    That's what RIM should be paying for......their employees should be the ones testing it. We're not talking about some cheap 3rd party application. With the prices of the device and service this should be fully tested by RIM before release IMO.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    VERY valid point. I wonder how much RIM already pays for R & D?

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    yea but they only can beta test so much. it takes the real customers and user to put the device to the max and find the glitches. beta testing never ends. otherwise they would never put out new OS's. they basically try to make the best OS possible and then release it and wait till customers call in for tech support over time and they find the long term issues and make the corrections for the next release.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Here's my take:

I believe that the OP has some very valid points whic I agree with.

That said, I also agree with many of the other points made by those who responded.

Bottom line:
    It's a fact of life lived today, if one chooses to be on the cutting edge of technology as most of us do, that despite our very best efforts to think carefully before making a decision to try something new, we are still taking a risk. Thus no matter how well we research it, or review it, we remain subject to the potential challenges the pop up unexpectedly.

Translated: what do I know?......

Cheers!
    via RedBerry *8310* (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    I can agree with you. We are always thinking of new things and new ways to upgrade technology. Life in general is like one big beta test

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    Life in general is like one big beta test
    ----------
    Now.._ That_ is funny!

Nice work, that one is world class humor. The best laugh I've had all day.

Cheers!
    via RedBerry *8310*

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    glad to start a fellow cberry user's day out right