Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, I am coming up on getting a new phone because of my upgrade status. ... General Blackberry forum

BamaFan2989 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask :)

I am seeking counsel.

Advertisement

So, I am coming up on getting a new phone because of my upgrade status.

I am deciding between two phones right now, and if you think I should consider a 3rd phone let me know, but the two for contention right now are the T-Mobile G1 and the Blackberry 8220.

I don't really want to hear bias remarks, but I know what to expect from the 'stack. :]

But seriously, here are some of the issues I am worrying about:

The 8220's processor. I have heard that it runs slow at time, and the processor gets very easily taxed, and starts to bog down. I also don't know about how to keep it protected form scratches and everything, especially with the nice external screen. Also, the trackball I have heard isn't the best of the trackball Blackberrys.

The G1 looks fun, but I don't want to just have a fun phone. I want it to be functional and everything too, and I don't want to take a leap with a phone if the apps for the market won't be released until next year really. I just mean that I don't want to be disappointed. Also, I don't know how well the keyboard will work with the bent bottom part of the phone.

There are a lot of issues, but I know some of these I can't personally know until I hold them in my hands and play around with them. I mainly just want to hear what your opinions are, and I know I will get some good, detailed, intelligent responses.

Thanks.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    You have a curve and you want an upgrade... In my opinion a flip wouldn't be an upgrade (screen real estate, keyboard, etc). But this would at least have the same BlackBerry security and functionality you might be used to.

As for the G1,
    It's a nice phone. I liked it when I got to test it out. It's interface is nice for the most part. Good job Google. Personally I wouldn't choose it.

G1 Issues:
    - no video recording
    - no video playback
    - keyboard is not illuminated
    - zooming is done by tapping the screen when web browsing, tapping a link is very likely
    - can't close applications without a restart apparently (even with the extra memory, bad idea)

The rest is all user preference.... Not all phones/devices are created equal. I would suggest going to a store and check one out.\

// Between these two... neither...There are more powerful blackerry devices available (now and in the future), and the G1 will be getting lots of firmware upgrades. Shop around.
    Last edited by eazid; 11-10-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    "Who Dares Wins"

PIN/ID
    Well I have to stay in the TMobile market, I don't want to fool with getting an unlocked phone.

I want to use my upgrade with TMobile so I have reduced pricing.

And yes those are really weird with the G1, the video stuff is really bad.

And good point about the no illuminated backlight.

I am leaning toward the 8220 right now. Thanks for your post, and if you have more to add, feel free. It was a great post.

that1dude no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    247A308F
    i know somebody with the flip and they like it so far, as for the gi it will still run you about 179 bucks coz it still new, my brother in law asked and thats what they told him.....
    REMEMBER, REMEMBER THE 5TH
    OF NOVEMBER

www.that1dudesbb.blogspot.com

PIN: 247A308F

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaFan2989 View Post
    So, I am coming up on getting a new phone because of my upgrade status.

I am deciding between two phones right now, and if you think I should consider a 3rd phone let me know, but the two for contention right now are the T-Mobile G1 and the Blackberry 8220..
    I have all the phones you are interested in, if you will list what's important to you. How you will be using it, then I will respond accordingly.

Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Well I have to stay in the TMobile market, I don't want to fool with getting an unlocked phone.

I want to use my upgrade with TMobile so I have reduced pricing.

And yes those are really weird with the G1, the video stuff is really bad.

And good point about the no illuminated backlight.

I am leaning toward the 8220 right now. Thanks for your post, and if you have more to add, feel free. It was a great post.
    Well in that case.... Hard decision. Those issues with the G1 could always be resolved with a software upgrade. Assuming they do change these issues via a firmware upgrade... And assuming you don't mind not having some of the benefits of being with RIM... The G1 would be the choice I suggest.

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I have all the phones you are interested in, if you will list what's important to you. How you will be using it, then I will respond accordingly.

Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry
    Ah ok, great, thanks. Here is what I do, which is most important, to what I will want to do, least importance.

-I send/receive around 5000 texts a month. So texting is important.
    -I find myself looking at blogs, my bank account, and other random websites, so browsing the web is important.
    -I like to take pictures with my phone. And video, so there is that.
    -I like to listen to music with my phone, whether its through the speaker or the headset.
    -I like a nice alarm.
    -I wanna keep the phone clean, and non-scratched up.
    -I like playing games on my phone, and having other nice apps.

I am not sure what else to add. If there is anything you can recommend that you like about the different phones, let me know.

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by eazid View Post
    Well in that case.... Hard decision. Those issues with the G1 could always be resolved with a software upgrade. Assuming they do change these issues via a firmware upgrade... And assuming you don't mind not having some of the benefits of being with RIM... The G1 would be the choice I suggest.
    What would you consider the benefits of being with RIM?

Here is what I do, which is most important, to what I will want to do, least importance.
    Excellent list!
    - G1
    I pre-ordered mine the 1st day they took orders & receive one from the 1st shipment. Given the fact that this is their first effort, its a pretty good one. I am very pro-open source, as I'm a software engineer that works in all four computer OS environments. Windows, OS X, Unix, and Linux. Creating software for those four provides me with an opportunity to fairly evaluate each. While the G1 is a good start it will not work for you. It is simply too new, with too many bugs. The G2 is already under testing, I've seen pictures of it, and that model will be significantly improved. Yet I still think it will be at least a year before the G phone will be mature enough for amy experienced smartphone user to enjoy.

- 8220 Flip
    I really like this phone. But its important to note that I really like SureType. I find SureType as good as a full qwerty, & I'm fastest with SureType. However based on your enjoyment of games you are giving up screen size with the 8220. Also I am very picky & work hard at keeping my phones in top condition. This is very difficult to do with the 8220 & it does scratch very easily. A certain drawback.
    Ironically in my personal opinion based on all my BlackBerry experience, I believe you already have the best BlackBerry in the 8320. If you can wait about 1 to 4 months, the their will be some very good new BlackBerry models to choose from.
    When I take a look at the other new smartphones I have from other makers, I still don't see anything I would highly endorse. I have N series Nokias running the Symbian OS & Win Mobile devices as well, none of which are remotely as good as a BlackBerry.
    So I say wait if you can, I'm sure you will be happy if you do.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W
    If you can, wait for the Javelin.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

swalker2001 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2461c562
    I'm interested in those of you that seem to have several smartphones at once...why? And doesn't that get expensive?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    The G1 not having a backlit keyboard would kill it for me, imagine trying to text in a dark room or at night?

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmanxxl View Post
    The G1 not having a backlit keyboard would kill it for me, imagine trying to text in a dark room or at night?
    Yeah that is a concern for me as well.

Thanks for the post Archer, I appreciate it.

The Javelin was one of those that were making me think about waiting, do we know its scheduled tmobile release date?

Thanks guys, I am going to look over my options and so some more thinking.

PIN/ID
    I am also thinking about the Samsung Behold also.

Quote Originally Posted by swalker2001 View Post
    I'm interested in those of you that seem to have several smartphones at once...why? And doesn't that get expensive?
    Excellent Question!
    I have four lines, personal, work, and two for testing. As a technologist, with a passion for mobile communications and computing I choose to make testing and evaluation of smartphones and laptops something that I do as part of my daily routine. Thus I have an opportunity to remain open minded about all platforms, and enjoy the various experiences. While I prefer the BlackBerry platform, I remain very active in the others, thus quite up to date. Of particular interest to me outside of the BB realm is Linux based smartphones (G1& Openmoko), an emerging category that promises to be one to watch. Yes indeed it is very expensive, especially if one buys as many phones as I do. The joke where I live is that every FedEx & UPS driver knows the way to both my home and my office, as I purchased many unlocked unbranded phones, the moment they are released, directly a large distributor in Hong Kong. The result is weekly deliveries of phones, smart and dumb for that matter.
    At the end of the day when it's all said and done, I find just one that I like best (currently 8310) and use that as my main personal smartphone, for daytime use. When I'm out and about, I usually grab whatever I'm testing, or another of my favorite BlackBerrys.

Cheers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast