Since RIM has allowed HTML email for BBs, I have had the option enabled, along ... General Blackberry forum

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

HTML image auto-download

Advertisement

Since RIM has allowed HTML email for BBs, I have had the option enabled, along with automatic image download. For the same time period, years now, my devices have never automatically downloaded images. I always have to go to the menu and select get images...whether it be web content embedded into an email, a theme for an incoming email, or other HTML content deemed an image.

Anyone know whats going on, or have the same experience? It doesnt seem to matter what email domain Im using either (doesnt work for the gmail, live.com, att.blackberry.net, or other private domains I have configured for my BB email).

I posted this in General BB because its not isolated to a specific device... Ive had the problem across 3-4 devices using variations of OS 4 and 5.
    I'm a born again Androider

BlackCaviar no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was wondering about the same thing myself, I have the same problem too.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I've been having the same issue for years. Not sure what the problem is. I just hit the menu and download images and forget about it. It would be great if that was something that could be fixed.

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    When RIM first enabled HTML email, the word was that this is just the way it is. You have to select Menu -> Get Images. I have noticed however that some emails seem to show up complete. Not sure if that's a specific coding within the HTML script or what.

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Here is my understanding... the main reason RIM requires you to use the Menu > Get Images is because those images are stored on someone else's server and when you request to get those images the request sends your email address to the server to get those images... RIM considers this a security issue and does not want to expose your email address unless you specifically request it to be sent. Personally, I don't have a problem with this security feature.

And the reason some images show up in an email... my guess is that is because those images are sent as part of the email.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    This is something that will probably never go away, a "feature" of BlackBerry devices, if you will.

Apparently when you receive externally linked images, downloading them opens up a security hole leaving your device vulnerable to viral attack. This is why, even though you've selected the option to automatically download images, RIM still requires you to do as li2327 mentioned and press the BB menu button>Get Image(s).

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    JINX!

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    JINX!
    LOL... I did not come back soon enough.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Thanks for the answers.

But, why is it called 'automatic' download then? And, since user interaction is still required to get the images, what purpose does it serve to have an option to enable/disable the non-existent automatic image download?
    I'm a born again Androider

BlackCaviar no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was thinking the same thing!!

dillon316 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2571671D
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7146

Show me the images app will do this.

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Quote Originally Posted by dillon316 View Post
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7146

Show me the images app will do this.
    yep...im using it now and its a great program.....you can even add emails to white and blacklist as to which address you want images downloaded.
    Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/lkkwus