Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife doesn't worry about clearing messages and calls in her message folder. She hasn't ... General Blackberry forum

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7

HOW TO: Simple Timesaving Trick

Advertisement

My wife doesn't worry about clearing messages and calls in her message folder. She hasn't downloaded any progs, and doesn't use the internet on her Berry.
    I'm on the net all the time, and have downloaded a bunch of progs. In order to keep native memory free, I used to scroll and delete through the message folder several times a day, deleting each one individually. Not any more! This will take care of all of them at the same time...

Tip: At the end of the day:

Open Message folder
    Scroll to top, highlighting current date
    Press trackball
    Select Full Menu
    Delete Prior

Your emails can be cleared in the same manner by going to their folders. If you've set SMS and email combined, all can be cleared at once
    Last edited by Berryadict; 01-13-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: correction

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I like to do the same thing.
    -Josh

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Ahh, I learn something new everyday on the Stacks-thanks Adict

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Tip: At the end of the day, and while in your message folder:
    Open the last message
    Menu
    Delete Prior

This will clear all of them at once, while leaving mail in your mail folders that you wish to retain.
    The delete prior option has been mentioned here countless times but I have never seen it work in the way you describe. For my BBs and all my friends BBs you can't do this from an open message as you described. There is no delete prior option from an open message.

Instead you must go to your messages folder, scroll so the date is highlighted, so if you really want to clear out all, scroll to the top of the page. Then click menu/delete prior. This removes them from the main messages folder and the individual mail folders. The only ones that will remain would be those you actually saved and they would be in the saved messages folder.

Or are you describing something different? Perhaps you could provide some screen shots?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    The delete prior option has been mentioned here countless times but I have never seen it work in the way you describe. For my BBs and all my friends BBs you can't do this from an open message as you described. There is no delete prior option from an open message.

Instead you must go to your messages folder, scroll so the date is highlighted, so if you really want to clear out all, scroll to the top of the page. Then click menu/delete prior. This removes them from the main messages folder and the individual mail folders. The only ones that will remain would be those you actually saved and they would be in the saved messages folder.

Or are you describing something different? Perhaps you could provide some screen shots?
    Agree! There is no delete prior with or without the msg open in the msg folder - only delete.

Is there a mistake in what you're trying to describe?. Please provide more info of what you're tip is all about.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Thank you Az and Jb! Appologize for distraction during original post...correction made

Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Thank you Az and Jb! Appologize for distraction during original post...correction made
    Better. At least I found the "delete prior" option. Didn't go beyond that because I almost never 'delete all' of anything - too dangerous in the sense of getting rid of something I want to keep. Thanks.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Here's what I do when I don't want to delete everything -
    Open message list
    Highlight a message that I want to delete
    Hold down the Shift key, scroll through messages
    This multi-selects as many (or as few) messages as you need, and from there you can hit Menu, Delete.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

Quote Originally Posted by ganns1980 View Post
    Open message list
    This multi-selects as many (or as few) messages as you need, and from there you can hit Menu, Delete.
    That's basically what I do too, Ganns. I delete in groups but never all.

rok8man no está en línea Stack level 3
    I use that feature every day. I got almost 100 work emails if not more a day and at the end of the day before I leave I do the delete Prior option and its all gone. I still keep it in my outlook but not in my blackberry. I found out about this option a couple of months ago.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ganns1980 View Post
    Open message list
    This is my method of choice as well. I use the delete prior on occasion but not to often.

I don't delete anything permanently, I just keep around a spare older BlackBerry. At the end of every month I do a Backup under the advanced option in DM of just the messages (Messages, Phone Call Logs, SMS messages and MMS messages), and rename the file after the month (0608.ipd is the backup of messages from June of 08). Then I delete all the messages on the current Berry. If I need to access a message from a previous month, I load that month's messages into the ol' 7290 to look at it. That way I keep all my messages forever without overloading the memory on my 8700.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I never thought about that option but I delete all the messages after I reply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I don't delete anything permanently, I just keep around a spare older BlackBerry. At the end of every month I do a Backup under the advanced option in DM of just the messages (Messages, Phone Call Logs, SMS messages and MMS messages), and rename the file after the month (0608.ipd is the backup of messages from June of 08). Then I delete all the messages on the current Berry. If I need to access a message from a previous month, I load that month's messages into the ol' 7290 to look at it. That way I keep all my messages forever without overloading the memory on my 8700.
    That's a pretty elaborate plan, and a good one. But how do you know which backup to get if you need a msg that's a few months old. Do you ever really have to go back to find one specific msg in all those backups?

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    That's a pretty elaborate plan, and a good one. But how do you know which backup to get if you need a msg that's a few months old.
    I just guess if it's longer than a few months. Recent communications, say within the last six months or so, I usually remember the approximate time.
    Do you ever really have to go back to find one specific msg in all those backups?
    Yes. Basic accountability - if someone says they're going to do something or they give me a figure or fact I'm working off of, and then claim they never said it, or claim they gave me a different figure, I can go back and confirm the conversation. For example, part of my job as a Restaurant Manager at my company is to maintain several vending machines. If I receive a directive from a higher-up to lower prices on certain vending items, I want to maintain his directive when a different higher-up questions why it was done. (Well, sir, I have an email from so-and-so in June of 07 that specifically told me to . . .)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast