I recently got a company sponsored Blackberry at work. I'd like to use it for ... General Blackberry forum

cmichalik no está en línea Stack level 1

How to connect to PC?

Advertisement

I recently got a company sponsored Blackberry at work. I'd like to use it for more than just e-mail and a phone. When I connect it to my PC, both my desktop at home and my laptop at work, it's not recognized at being connected. The BB came w/ a CD w/ a desktop manager on it, but out IT dept told me not to install it b/c we have a server that would be used for e-mail (or something like that). But on the occation that I have pictures I want to put on my Laptop, how do I do that? Is there a place I can download the Desktop Manager w/out getting all the e-mail related stuff?

Thanks

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    All you need to do is use the disk and install desktop manager and make sure you install it for BlackBerry Internet Service. This will install all of the features except the email related ones

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by markgallant View Post
    All you need to do is use the disk and install desktop manager and make sure you install it for BlackBerry Internet Service. This will install all of the features except the email related ones
    Hold off on how you install it. If this is a company sponsored BB, and they are providing you email through work it is most likely on BES. Contact your IT Admin and request his assistance on how they want it installed.

Yes, it is a company Sponsored BB. I know our IT dept has a server that's dedicated to Blackberry e-mail. I'm pretty sure it's an enterprise server if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks for teh replies. I'll send in a helpdesk ticket requesting the Desktop Manager. I was just hoping that there was an easier way to get it w/out going thru IT.

Thanks again.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you are on a BES and installing this on your home pc then installing for BIS is the only way to do it. It will not affect anything to do with your email functionality or anything else related to BES services. If you install it for BES on a home pc you are just looking for trouble.

But like I said installing for BIS is what you are going to want to do.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    These posts pretty much sum it it. You have to really watch the options when you install it, I believe you set it for a BES connection, and forward messages using the enterprise server. If you install it using the desktop manager option, you'll break your BES connection.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ok. So here's an update on my quest to connect my BB to either one of my computers. I submitted a helpdesk ticket to out IT dept asking to have the BB Desktop Manager installe don my computer. When IT contacted me, I was told that they don't have any way to install "only" the manager and that if they try to install it off the CD that came in the BB box, it would only mess up the e-mail connection because we use a Blackberry Enterprise server. THEN the IT guy told me that if I still want to get the BB manager, I need to call at&t and ask them for it. He said I need to tell them what server we have & they should be able to help me download the correct file from thier site.

I HATE calling customer service lines... is there an easier way I can just do it myself?

What is BES & BIS?