just wondering if this has caused any users problems. and how real this issues is. ... General Blackberry forum

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me

Question how many users have comfirmed a virus on their device?

Advertisement

just wondering if this has caused any users problems. and how real this issues is. If you have a case of infected berry please list the symptoms and what you did to remedy the problem. ie os reload exchanged device, smashed it with large hammer ect. and any steps to prevent a future infection. as we all know there are nasites out there infecting pc's that even micro soft can fix and the best techs I know have sucome to xp antivirus 09 , I was wondering if some thing like this is around for berries yet. and listen up xp antivirus is so prevalent I would suggest all users back up all critical files to an external drive and hold on to them . A reg back up if helpfull as well. due to loss of all restore points even third party system snapshots. and it unregisters your antivirus and disables it too. then destroy's more of your the registry every time you boot you pc. and one last thing once you see the pop up screen its too late no matter what you do your hit. but it can be repaired if you catch it quickly, my self I seem to get machines that wont even boot up and it's way too late by then. so its a format and install for them.

alicepin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3126F0AE
    Dont have any problems with my 8830...but will be on the look out.
    Alice Meikle
    alicemeikle@vzw.blackberry.net
    PIN: 3126F0AE
    Yahoo IM: dormiepar
    google talk:alicemeikle
    twitter: alicejam
    blog: http://dascoop.wordpress.com

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    RIM locks down pretty much any action that could cause issues (key injection, phone interactions, screen captures, etc.). You have to give identifying information to get a signing key which allows you access to these as a programmer. If you then used those API's to create a virus they could trace it back to you.

I don't know how much harm a person could do with just a virus based on J2ME java (not using RIM API's and not needing a signing key) on a RIM device.

In any case, even when an application is signed the user still needs to give it permission to take any action that could have consequences. So if you're really worried, stay away from new and unknown software.

Unless a hacker hacks the RIM OS (that would be no easy feat) and puts it out there as a new beta build it's unlikely you'll have a virus issue any time soon.

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    yes i was aware the rim platform was locked down and to gain access signatures were required, it just a matter of working around this . and after seeing an antiviral software for the berry i was wondering if this had become an issue. as there are many users here i was wondering if any one has confirmed an issue yet. as far as java exploits go they are a real threat and as we rely more and more on j2me i figure its a matter of time before this happens.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    While yes this is possible, I've owned a WinMo phone since WinMo2003SE and I've never encountered a virus. Downloaders beware I suppose.

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    I downloaded a game from Getjar.com that wanted to change the setting on my phone, I hit no, then it wanted to download additional content, after that I uninstalled it.

s0yp0p no está en línea Stack level 1
    I downloaded that lunar theme from here and it first erased my agenda... And then it hid all of my contacts (I can still get them, but I have to twittle with options for them to show)....

And now all my messages just got erased. I need help without erasing my contacts!!!

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Do you have a back up? Reload your backup from the Desktop Manager.

I doubt the theme erased your information.

Try switching from the Lunar theme to a default theme and see if everything comes back

latin_teacher no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3057ba33
    I think I have a virus but everytime I swap my phone the problem persist. I don't know if its on my computer or what but my blackberry has a tendancy to freeze for a few hours then works fine for a week or two. The funny thing is that most of my swaps have been returned to me lol. Telus sucks with the swap program. I don't want to pay for a program to protect my phone from viruses. I think rim should come out with a program for blackberries! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by latin_teacher View Post
    I think I have a virus but everytime I swap my phone the problem persist. I don't know if its on my computer or what but my blackberry has a tendancy to freeze for a few hours then works fine for a week or two. The funny thing is that most of my swaps have been returned to me lol. Telus sucks with the swap program. I don't want to pay for a program to protect my phone from viruses. I think rim should come out with a program for blackberries! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Have you ever examined your error log (ALT-LGLG) to see what was going on?

kingbapho no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3024BC9C
    Lol I walk into a telus store and walk out with a new phone box lol UNopened lolol

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    ? Their are no viruses for BB's.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    From what I know there are no known Java viruses. There is 1 virus that is called Strange Brew or Strangle Brew something like that. It's coded and works against java. But im not sure it would harm a java operating system.