Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many of you have had a BB crash, break or fail and successfully fixed ... General Blackberry forum

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...

How many have had a BB accident and fixed it?

Advertisement

How many of you have had a BB crash, break or fail and successfully fixed it? I had a 8120 that had BARELY gotten wet the other day and to which I immediately pulled battery out of and let air dry. I took it apart and didn't physically see any damage, and of course had let it dry GOOD. Come to find out where the connector for the screen connects to the board had a little bit of green corroson. I cleaned off the corroson and took the screen off and out and cleaned it a little more and reassembled it. It now works perfectly. I know that isn't much of an achievement for some of you but, but beings this was the first time I have ever taken a berry apart I feel accomplished. I was really suprised at how simple and easy dissasembly and reassembly was.

So the question is, how many of you have had hardware, or software failure and successfully diagnosed and repaired/corrected the problem and what is YOUR story? Any brand new devices failed with no warranty for whatever reason or anything crazy and exciting like that?

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    this morning my blackberry froze and crashed...after turning it off by pulling the battery and sd card. and rebooting it and hooking it up to the computer and reinstalling my operating system i had a brand new device once again not too mention i was so scared that i was going to lose everything on my blackberry. not to mention i was in the process of cooking breakfast when it crashed and i kinda started a fire on the stove because i more concerned with my blackberry than my bacon on the stove
    Last edited by lsu4lif3; 01-26-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Great thread. Confession is good for the soul. Where do I begin? I learned the hard way that its not wise to install a 4.5 theme on a 4.2 OS 8310-bad things happen. At least you get to see if your red LED light is functioning properly. Then with another 8310, I got to experience what happens when you try to upgrade your OS and forget to delete the vendor xml file. And there are more that I can't remember. Maybe RoGro can help me, because I enlisted his sevice during most of these crashes. I am now an expert at restoring devices, wiping devices, upgrading OS's and have become quite familiar with the workings of JL_CMDR-LOL. ~via 9000 (wap.pinstack.com)~

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4
    I had a customer turn in a water damaged curve after buying a new one. I had some spare parts so I exchanged the screen, camera module and pearl assymbly... Also there was tons of corrosion so I used some pure alcohol and a toothbrush to clean off the motherboard. The case was near perfect so I kept that. When I put it back together, everything was working fine! I was surprised to find that the camera just unplugged. It was the firs time I had done anything like that. Since then, I've successfully repaired a palm treo 680, and a razr v3. I got another water damaged pearl in, but have had no luck with that one it keeps power cycling and won't fully boot. I've tried the os install instructions on here, but no go. Still, I like playinh dr frankenstein with broken phones now, lol!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by jchapman01; 01-26-2009 at 12:41 AM.

adperdue no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have replaced 19 lcd's, 14 trackballs, dried out 26 wet bb's, reinstalled/upgraded 46 os's, replaced 4 keypads, replaced 3 usb ports and custom airbrushed the case of a 8310, all for friends, but I only have 9 friends with BB's. These guys are rough with their berry's. That's not including razors and other phones. If it weren't for the stack and bbforums I never would be able to do this stuff. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by lsu4lif3 View Post
    this morning my blackberry froze and crashed...after turning it off by pulling the battery and sd card. and rebooting it and hooking it up to the computer and reinstalling my operating system i had a brand new device once again not too mention i was so scared that i was going to lose everything on my blackberry. not to mention i was in the process of cooking breakfast when it crashed and i kinda started a fire on the stove because i more concerned with my blackberry than my bacon on the stove
    Back in the day, when I had my first system crash on a BB, I had the exact same feeling. The stomach gets tight. You feel sick. All else in the world ceases to matter.

Then you sit back and take things one step at a time and all works out in the end. Now I crash the darned things on a regular basis, just playing and fiddling. There is no longer a sick feeling, just a "here we go again" feeling.

Now, I have driven over one device, that wasn't so easily fixed. Well, it was easily fixed, it just wasn't cheap.... lol
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Fell in a flower vase full of, of course, water. Immediately turned the phone off, stripped it down to as many pieces as possible, and lightly blow dried it every 10 minutes then left on paper towel to try. I saved the phone however months later it caught the 'texting ghost'.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    I dropped mine in a toilet, retrieved it and pulled battery, let it dry for a day, it still wasnt working right, took it apart and used a cleaner on it, put it back together and it works fine. fyi the toilet was clean haha
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    I dropped mine in a toilet, retrieved it and pulled battery, let it dry for a day, it still wasnt working right, took it apart and used a cleaner on it, put it back together and it works fine. fyi the toilet was clean haha
    My bold got wet. I took it apart and let it sit for a day. It works fine, but white screens have a cloudy appearance now. One of these days I will replace it as the cloudiness drives me insane.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Lennox815 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20A71800
    Man my bb has been through hell compared to yalls. Yeah I said yalls. Lol. But my 8320 is now a year old it has been dropped more than I can remember the shell of it doesn't say blackberry above the lcd anymore because of concreate it has been fully submerged in a lake due to me forgettin that it was in my swim trunks when I went inner tubbing but when it was wet I didn't take it apart. I just took the battery out and let it dry for a week and it still works perfect. No ghost text no nothing. I must say the 8320 is one of the most durable bb I have ever had. My previous bb was a 7520 ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

[quote=chokem;1037877]Great thread. Confession is good for the soul. Where do I begin? I learned the hard way that its not wise to install a 4.5 theme on a 4.2 OS 8310-bad things happen. At least you get to see if your red LED light is functioning properly. Then with another 8310, I got to experience what happens when you try to upgrade your OS and forget to delete the vendor xml file. And there are more that I can't remember. quote]

I installed a theme on a 7105t running 4.1.0.309 that was the stock theme that came on my 7730. I was up until 5 AM restoring that thing only to turn around and have to replace it because the USB port broke. Then there was the nightmare I posted about with my 8120. I knew about the memory leak 3 years ago before it became widespread. I had another 7105t start deleting texts and leaving negative counts of email when there was no email (trackwheel locked up on this one). And I found out what a dropped call was when I paired a 7100t with a Plantronics BT headset. DISASTER
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 01-27-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Oh wow guys. Some great interesting stories. LOL And I thought I was bad on berries..heh.

-One the whole track ball assembly went capoot in...(Warranty)
    -One went through the washer, the first AND last time I EVER did laundry..haha
    -My first 8120 was flat out defective. Back got hot enough to cook from.

Those were all my "accidents" and none of those which I could repair..DOH.

The 8120 I mention in first post that I fixed is still going strong. My 8,900,000 should be here tomorrow though....Fingers crossed!

Oh and I found out the headache that ensues when, in the middle of an OS upgrade, Desktop Manager decides to crash. I was updating the OS on my backup 8100 and got a fatal error in the middle of erasing the applications off of it. I was up for 3 days restoring that one.

Quote Originally Posted by adperdue View Post
    I have replaced 19 lcd's, 14 trackballs, dried out 26 wet bb's, reinstalled/upgraded 46 os's, replaced 4 keypads, replaced 3 usb ports and custom airbrushed the case of a 8310, all for friends, but I only have 9 friends with BB's. These guys are rough with their berry's. That's not including razors and other phones. If it weren't for the stack and bbforums I never would be able to do this stuff. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Good Lord!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast