I've been a Blackberry user for years...I still carry a 8700c for work. I was ... General Blackberry forum

mobilehavoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

How iPhone stacks up to BB from a BB user's view

Advertisement

I've been a Blackberry user for years...I still carry a 8700c for work. I was using Pearl for personal use which I replaced with the iPhone.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the iPhone currently CAN NOT replace a Blackberry Pearl-like device. Too many things are missing which I can live with because I still carry a 8700c for work but if I only had one phone, I would never give up a Blackberry for it. Some reasons:

1. iPhone can't do copy/cut/paste
    2. No 3rd-party software that's installable - I really miss Jivetalk, SplashID, Opera, etc. Being able to install stuff.
    3. Attachment management on the iPhone is HORRIBLE! It just takes an image of the file and lets you view it...i.e. a Spreadsheet it gives you an image of it so you can't navigate the cells or anything. It's just ridiculously bad.
    4. Yahoo Push email is unreliable to say the least. Sometimes even though you get a sound of sent email and an indicator it was sent, it doesn't actually get sent. Sometimes incoming push-email works and sometimes it doesn't for no reason whatsoever.
    5. The notes app can't sync to any desktop app like Outlook. No to-dos.
    6. The predictive input on the iPhone is way behind the Pearl's suretype so even keyboard vs touchscreen aside typing stuff is painful at times
    7. No voice dialing whatsoever on the iPhone or voice recording
    8. I really miss Blackberry Messenger and being able to PIN friends and send pics, etc. Can't do that obviously on an iPhone.

Where the iPhone (and why I have it) kicks the Blackberry's *** in is the media department (duh!) and the web browser. Other than that, the Blackberry 8100 is a MUCH better device.

Like I said, I would never have gotten the iPhone to replace my Pearl but since I have a 8700c at work it's not as bad. I'm also contemplating just replacing the 8700c with my Pearl on my company's BES but not sure yet.

P.S. I've had an iPhone since launch day and I'm enjoying it but I honestly can't recommend it in its current state to BB users unless they plan on carrying both devices. Just my 2 cents.
    8100c - Personal on BIS
    8700c - Work on Corporate BES

"Only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't"

thetonyclifton no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: How iPhone stacks up to BB from a BB user's view

useful thanks..i am waiting at least a generation until i jump to apple (I am a mac head so it inevitable) - I would never carry two phones

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E

Awesome more of these and we'll have a portfolio of what iPhone doesn't do compared to BB

Check this post out: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/327632-post21.html
    Search Flex - Directory of SEO Services

SNICKA no está en línea Stack level 1

i am a bb pearl user that tried out the iphone for about a week....took it back!

similar reasons to the original poster - no push email, no sync for notes, the wi-fi didn't work, safari kept crashing and the calendar changed times for appts by itself!

BIGT456 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D4B32

Great post, thanks for the break down!