Ok here's a question, what unusual ways do you use your smartphone? We all know ... General Blackberry forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question How do you use your phone??

Advertisement

Ok here's a question, what unusual ways do you use your smartphone? We all know that we can use them as a phone, to read our e-mails, to text message, BBM people and of course to browse the web, but what other things can be done? for example:
    • Use the flash as a flashlight very useful in a dark garage, or finding your keys when you don't have a flashlight on you
    • Replace your alarm clock
    • Look up businesses or find your way on Google Maps when the GPS can't find a location
    • Using Blackberry Wallet for all your passwords
    • For those older folks like myself who need very long arms to read the small print, take a photo of the offending print with the phone and then enlarge it until you can read it. Need to focus properly
    • Take a picture of a whiteboard after a meeting, to keep information
    • Use Voicenotes to record the meeting - in theory you are meant to let people know you will be recording the discussion
    • Take notes when you forget pen and paper.
    • Sharpen an edge and use as a penknife
    • Use as a flash drive for transferring information from one computer to another
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Flashlight
    Alarm Clock
    Take Pictures
    Voice Notes

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Flashlight is really useful!!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Since I got the tab, mine plays the role of wifi router more than anything else.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    All those, and then some... Except for the long arms bit.

Havoc65 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Same as all those above but i also sync it with outlook from work and home so i could work from home if needed

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I was rather hoping for more out of the ordinary, like arranging flas mobs, replacing Tv (placing it on the coffee table, instead of a flat screen . Coffee mug coaster for those fed up with the OS, monitoring the speed of your car, stero remote, mouse etc

Villordsutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Alarm clock and mp3 player (my 6 year old iPod was made defunct my BB)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    This post was prompted by a lecture I had attended back in college days where a group of us (half were techies and half were artsie) were asked what would you do with a brick. Most of us techies sat down and came up with a couple of things (really difficult question after all bricks are for building so with only one it was pretty useless lets be logical about this). The artsie people on the other had came up with 100's of uses, we techies were dumbfounded. Jump forward a lot of years to today. Most of the things we suggest for use of the phone are pretty logical. It probably also explains why the IPhone was so innovative, because the OS and GUI were not designed by techies, it was programmed and developed by techies but not designed by them, so it was easy to use and just felt right. Techies design things that work but the item is never simple (manuals along with training is normally required to get things working), Apple computers/IPads and IPhones can be picked up and used, how many times have you heard people say they give it to their children to play games?)

So what do we use our BB's for, predominantly it is a tool that works, it has a secure operating system, is a good phone (speaker and microphone is clear) e-mails and BBM works when other smartphones don't, the browser is reasonable (but nothing like the IPhone or Android, but again it gets the job done) and the rest of the things well that is all we need. It is also why RIM is still selling it product line, Tech reviewers may critic RIM and say they should sell the company, that they should get rid of a small screen device with a keyboard because it is outdated, or that they should make a phone like the Androids or IPhone to compete in this world, (not withstanding the Patent issues if they did), but they don't look at what people are actually using or buying, so what if Apple sells more Iphones, or Androids has a greater market share, people still buy other systems and whilst they make a profit, and can pay their employess then life can continue, yes bring new products, innovate, develop, but don't loose sight of your roots.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    email is the biggest use for me, it is my alarm clock now and use it for pictures. Text more then phone calls because I only use about 200 mins a month for calls and 90% of those are mobile to mobile with family

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    My extra body part (period)
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Mine has replaced an AM/FM radio, since I use iheartradio, Nobex Radio Companion, and TuneInRadio. I am also able to listen to AM/FM radio stations outside my area.

I also stream Pandora and play MP3s that I've transferred from my PC hard disk.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Wirelessly posted (Style 9670: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9670; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.522 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Bbm, im, facebook, twitter, and pinstack! Those are my primary uses for my bb. Oh and texting. I don't talk on the phone on mine that often.
    ]