Quote Originally Posted by jhowle
THE DEVICES MAY OR MAY NOT USE 3G BUT THERE NETWORK AS A HOLE PERFORMS BETTER BECAUSE OF 3 GIABYTE CONNECTIVITY.

How do you figure they have "3 GIABYTE CONNECTIVITY." The g in 3g stands for generation. 3g means third generation network...2g second generation network.

BTW - isn't GSM a standard and CDMA a data trans protocal? GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications, CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access. I beleive that GSM is usually TDMA, but couldn't you use the GSM standard on a CDMA network?

I think that you may have some marketing hype entering into this. Companies are being forced to change frequencies and the spectrium is re alloc. This is why iDen had a few problems a while back, and why as operators create new towers/change old towers they have to change. I think that other networks had issues also.

Carriers like Verizon still have 800mhz equiptment in like 1/2 of the companies cell sites. They have a huge upgrade and a long roll out to get to 1900mhz.

Sprint has a one up on the other carriers in that they never had non-1900 mhz equiptment on the PCS network. (leave iDen out for now) So, they can upgrade to 2g, 3g, WiMax a lot faster then others that have to first upgrade the permise equiptment.