Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With all the hooplah around the 8703e I was thrilled to put down my tmobile ... General Blackberry forum

vertigof no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up How do I utilize the GPS on the SPRINT 8703e

Advertisement

With all the hooplah around the 8703e I was thrilled to put down my tmobile 8700 ( and sadly retire my pearl-fat fingers-though, it was great on size) and replace it with Sprint's so called heavy hitter! OK, here's the question, how do I use the GPS feature? Is it a web based app or local? I'm confused. I guess I should quit trying to play around and actually answer emails....but I need to know!!!!! Thanks

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: How do I utilize the GPS on the SPRINT 8703e

vertigof, Welcome to PinStack, I'm not sure but I think you may need TelNav. I think it's a fee based service that will work for your device.

Hope this Helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi vertigof, welcome to pinstack. There are a couple options for you, Telenav like Rich said, or Garmin mobile, both being $10/month.
    Last edited by cp6169; 10-29-2006 at 11:54 AM.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Have you tried using Google Maps Mobile to see if it integrates with the built-in GPS? There was no mapping software that came with the 8703e?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

hey how are you, being a former customer of sprints just bare in mind that all these extra features they offer like ready link, sms, gps etc all carry a hidden cost which is you have to have the internet and they don't have an unlimited data package and you will get hit with exuberant overages. do your self a favour switch to cingular, they have a personnal data plan for 29.95 a month that is unlimited. no hidden charges. i switched to cingular and it was the best thing i ever did

Need no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jhowle
    and they don't have an unlimited data package and you will get hit with exuberant overages.
    Sprint does have unlimited data package for $39.95 which includes phone as modem usage. It is more expansive than GSM carriers like Tmobile, but less expansive than Verizon. Sprint and Verizon data speed is much faster than Tmobile though.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

i recommend cingular because of there 3G network

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Sprint's EVDO is the fastest internet on the BB so far, am I wrong? Especially with there REVA being released shortly.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

either way, you have to consider that in the next year or so all carriers that don't support gsm are going to have to switch over to gsm gprs technology. once this happens everyone will be moving toward the same 3g technology that cingular currently offers. I personnally would tell anyone to start to think about what coming versus what currently is. you might go out and spend all kinds of money on equipement to just have to do again when things change over, and there is no point spending all kinds of money for nothing. Also keep in mind that evdo or whatever , only works on sprint towers and not on any other. i switched from sprint because there service sux pretty bad aswell as that my phone connected to everything but sprint towers, there just not as many sprint towers because it's wireliess division is still rather small. In my opnion i see sprint going the opposite way since they bought out nextel. We all know that nextel phones only worked on nextel towers, and i think sprint will ultimately combine sprint into nextel's technology and then your phone won't work on anything but sprint. if you have been using the evdo it wouldn't do any good because your likely not find connectivity out side of a large city. my 7280 bb gets me gprs access on any gsm tower. I would rather have slower connectivity everywhere, instead of faster internet in a few places. now whatever it is that they are coming out with in the future will surely be short lived when the change over to gsm/gprs takes place. Sometimes faster isn't better, you know. my 2 cents

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jhowle, What is you source for the comment that all carriers are going to have to support GSM having to switch over in the next year or so? And I doubt if EVDO is going to go away, IDEN is probably what gets dropped if anything.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    3056468b

I definitely disagree with all CDMA carriers switching to GSM in the near future. I can confirm Nextel iDEN cellular is at its end, but iDEN PTT is here for a while. Sprint will keep CDMA for a good amount of time, I would say at least till 2010. After that they may switch to GSM but I sincerely doubt it. All the money Nextel and Sprint have put into towers in the past year would be a waste to switch to GSM towers. Just my opinion though.

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

companies switching to gsm will be walking one step backwards. cdma is superior to gsm in every way. wireless companies worldwide will all eventually convert over to cdma due to the increasing amount of cell phone usage. gsm towers can only support 1/3 of the amount of users that cdma towers can.

cdma also supports faster data speeds hands down.

Look at cingular.... they have realized that they have a local maximum.........which are their gsm towers and hence the reason why they are all adding CDMA support(lg CU500 supports both types of signals).

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jhowle
    i recommend cingular because of there 3G network
    cingular offers great phones and service at a great price, i definitely am a huge fan of theirs...but at the moment they do not offer a blackberry that can utilize their 3g network to my understanding, unless they have released some type of updated firmware recently.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

MY SOURCES ARE EVERY CELL PHONE DEALER HER IN TOWN. I INQUIRED WHEN LOOKING FOR SERVICE FOR MY BLACK BERRY. THEY TOLD ME THIS AND IT IS BASED ON UPCOMING FCC LEGISLATURE. SO MANY TYPES OF COMMUNICATION AND SO MANY FREQUENCIES AND IT IS NEARLY TO IMPOSSIBLE TO REGULATE. AS CELL PHONE CARRIERS SUBMIT REQUEST TO BUILD NEW TOWERS THE FCC MAKING THE PHONE COMPANIES INSTALL GSM TOWERS. I KNOW IN SOUTH CAROLINA THEY HAVE ABOUT 11.5 MONTH UNTIL THEY HAVE TO SWITCH. IN THE LOCAL ALTELL STORE THEY CARRY ALMOST NO CDMA PHONES ANYMORE BECAUSE OF THIS CHANGE OVER. BASICALLY IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN BY ATTRITION. EITHER YOU WILL BE FORCED TO CHANGE WHEN YOU RENEW A CONTRACT OR WHEN YOU EUIPEMENT FAILS. A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE THE CHANGE HAPPENING IF THE ARKANSAS AND SURROUNDING STATES WHICH OPPERATE MOSTLY ON CDMA AND GATE TECHNOLOGY WHICH IF YOU DON'T KNOW IS BASICALLY TOWERS AND EQUIPEMENT THAT OPPERATES ON BOTH GSM AND CDMA OUT OF THE SAME ANTENNA AND IT NEVER WORKED VERY WELL. CINGULAR WAS A BIG OPERATOR OF THIS AND NOW THEY ARE BEING REPLACED WITH ALL GSM. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I USED TO LIVE THERE.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

Quote Originally Posted by bmedude
    cingular offers great phones and service at a great price, i definitely am a huge fan of theirs...but at the moment they do not offer a blackberry that can utilize their 3g network to my understanding, unless they have released some type of updated firmware recently.
    THE DEVICES MAY OR MAY NOT USE 3G BUT THERE NETWORK AS A HOLE PERFORMS BETTER BECAUSE OF 3 GIABYTE CONNECTIVITY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast