Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally Posted by Justyn Last July they passed a law here in California stating you ... General Blackberry forum

yankeed1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    215DEF87

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Last July they passed a law here in California stating you MUST be hands free to use your device in the car while driving. The funny thing was if you would read into the law, text messaging wasn't applied! You could still text while driving!

Well I just saw on the news last night that some Senator is looking to outlaw texting while driving in ALL states. Man that's wack-sauce!!!

Luckily for us, the Blackberry users can still Email and PIN. Oh yes, I can see it now, they pass the NO TEXTING Law, and Emailing and PINning will fall through the cracks, seeing how Texting is classified as SMS (and maybe even MMS), but by definition Email and PIN messages won't count because they use a different type of technology.

Guaranteed though, a cop pulls me over thinking I'm texting and I'm like "No Mr. Officer, I'm emailing. They're 2 very different things, and the law says nothing about Emailing being against the law, just texting!"

Then taking the case to court, they'll ban cellphones from being turned on in people's cars.

So is anyone here in a state that has a hands free law? Does anyone obey that law? If they ban texting will you be S.O.L.? Will you still email from your Berry?
    Nothing funnier than watching a yuppie trying to reason that view to a judge in traffic court! Here in NY the law isn't talking while on a cell phone, it's "operating a motor vehicle while using a cellular phone", so that covers texting and everything else you can do with your cell phone that requires you to be holding it and not have both hands on the steering wheel. Last year they almost passed a law to illegalize crossing the street while talking on a cell phone, which is much needed. It's too bad it didn't go through, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. People don't pay attention enough, and I can't count how many times some idiot just walked into the street in front of me not paying attention, yapping away on their cellphone. Should be at least a one hundred dollar fine!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeed1 View Post
    Nothing funnier than watching a yuppie trying to reason that view to a judge in traffic court! Here in NY the law isn't talking while on a cell phone, it's "operating a motor vehicle while using a cellular phone", so that covers texting and everything else you can do with your cell phone that requires you to be holding it and not have both hands on the steering wheel. Last year they almost passed a law to illegalize crossing the street while talking on a cell phone, which is much needed. It's too bad it didn't go through, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. People don't pay attention enough, and I can't count how many times some idiot just walked into the street in front of me not paying attention, yapping away on their cellphone. Should be at least a one hundred dollar fine!
    Not to mention texting while crossing the street. I almost ran over one of these morons the other day as he unacknowledged the light turning red and kept on walking.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

clarkkent51ny no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    305DA705
    funny tho how you never see a chick gettin a ticket for doing makeup....thats not hands free! Or ppl eating... wtf!
    This is my Blackberry. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my Blackberry is useless. Without my Blackberry I am useless.

BDG51@vzw.blackberry.net
    http://briandominic.vox.com/

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I can't count the number of times I've been seconds away from road rage because of some disresptful knuckle head(male/female) on a cell phone. WooooooosaAAaaa lol

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    What kills me is people talking on the cell, while driving, doing 20 below speed limit!! Can't talk and drive fast at the same time???

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    I watched a guy going west on the Yellowhead this morning. The traffic was heavy but moving. He was reading a newspaper laid over his steering wheel, drinking a coffee, and chatting on his HANDS FREE phone.

Who ever thunk they would make a law that makes it possible to do MORE while driving?
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    here in ct they have been enforcing the hands free law for a while and i have had friends ticketed for it .In this state, many insurance carriers have stopped underwriting auto policies because of the out of control speed on the high ways and the fact law enforcement refuses to do anything about it, plus the number of claims payed out . I was in the passing lane one time at 85 mph (in this state that is considered reckless endangerment and is a jail able offense) and the trooper was on my tail, like ten feet off my bumper I had to speed up to near a hundred miles an hour just to get out of his way . as he passes me he is yacking it up on his phone and left me sitting still as he pulled away. and the couple times i have been nearly run off the road, it was due to some one on their phone . I did stop the whole interstate down on one occasion and pull some one from their truck only to have them call the cops on me . well the damage to the car was sufficient to get me out of the charges as he failed to stop after making contact with the car i was operating. this guy cuts me off damages my girls car and thinks i a the one who is wrong . wtf? so if your in ct and piss me off while driving look out I will put a fist thru your side window and drag you out the jagged hole left, and explain to you why you should not drive like your the only person on the road.. but i have been told i have a anger problem ... and i a pissed right now as some dirt bag was talking on his phone driving 50+ in a 35 then hits my neighbors wife and mother of two in a zebra stripped cross walk .. this scum never hit the brakes! and when he stopped he had no insurance the wrong plates a suspended operators license and it was a benz, a seven year old freakin c 130 .so i drive around a police car as i pull in to our development the road was not yet closed ,and there she is laying in the rd motionless and ems had not yet arrived . i was quite disturbed to see this, and little bothers me. so keep chatting it up!!! its only a matter of time before yourself or your friends or family is involved in some idiots negligence. she has been in the hospital for several days and is looking at another month plus a long period on convalesance and they had no insurance either so the bills are stacking up as we sit here .
    Last edited by HeywoodJ; 02-23-2009 at 12:00 AM.

brettxw no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Where in CT are you from? Im in CT. North Haven area.

Quote Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
    here in ct they have been enforcing the hands free law for a while and i have had friends ticketed for it .In this state, many insurance carriers have stopped underwriting auto policies because of the out of control speed on the high ways and the fact law enforcement refuses to do anything about it, plus no number of claims payed out . I was in the passing lane one time at 85 mph (in this state that is considered reckless endangerment and is a jail able offense) and the trooper was on my tail, like ten feet off my bumper I had to speed up to near a hundred miles an hour just to get out of his way . as he passes me he is yacking it up on his phone and left me sitting still as he pulled away. and the couple times i have been nearly run off the road, it was due to some one on their phone . I did stop the whole interstate down on one occaision and pul some one from their truck only to have them call the cops on me . well the damage to the car was sufficent to get me out of the charges as he failed to stop after making contact with the car i was operating. this guy cuts me off damages my girls car and thinks i a the one who is wrong . wtf? so if your in ct and piss me off while driving look out I will put a fist thru your side window and drag you out the jagged hole left, and explain to you why you should not drive like your the only person on the road.. but i have been told i have a anger problem ... and i a pissed right now as some dirt bag was talking on his phone driving 50+ in a 35 then hits my niebors wife and mother of two in a zebra stripped cross walk .. this scum never hit the brakes! and when he stoped he had no insurance the wrong plates a suspended operators license and it was a benz, a seven year old freakin c 130 .so i drive around a police car as i pull in to our development the road was not yet closed ,and there she is laying in the rd motionless and ems had not yet arived . i was quite disturbed to see this, and little bothers me. so keep chatting it up!!! its only a matter of time before yourself or your friends or family is involved in some idiots negligence. she has been in the hospital for several days and is looking at another month plus a long period on convalesance and they had no insurance either so the bills are stacking up as we sit here .
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

brettxw no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by brettxw View Post
    And to clarify. If you were doing 85mph then you technically would not get a reckless driving charge. Its anything over 86. And there is also a law in CT that Rell has signed that Police, firefighters, EMTs, etc can use their cellphone while driving if it is for work use and emergency use only. Stupid I think. Being a cop we have more things to do in a car while driving then any person talking on a cellphone. We're listening to the radio, talking on the radio, hitting buttons for the sirens and lights (all while driving). I think that is a lot more dangerous then someone talking on their cellphone while driving.
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeed1 View Post

Whats funny is I was a passenger in my buddie's car and he got pulled over for having the cell phone in his hand near the steering wheel. The officer tells him texting while driving is illegal and tries to write him a ticket. He tells the cop he wasn't texting at all, but was simply turning his bluetooth on to listen to music. (Which wasn't a lie, he was pairing it with his SYNC system.) The cop wrote him a ticket anyways and said he could fight it in court. He goes to court (for a $25 ticket mind you) and explains his hands free device is in the car stereo and he was trying to pair it so he could talk hands free in accordance to the law. The judge waived the ticket and told him next time to do that while the vehicle was not in motion.

A week later I hear on the news the law has been changed to, "Driving while operating any mobile device at anytime in any vehcile that is in motion is against the law and will receive a ticket."

I always wondered if it was from him. What's funny is I still see cops driving with the phone to their ear. Citizens Arrest!!!
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by brettxw View Post
    Wherever he's from, let me know. I want to avoid that area!!
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Whats funny is I was a passenger in my buddie's car and he got pulled over for having the cell phone in his hand near the steering wheel. The officer tells him texting while driving is illegal and tries to write him a ticket. He tells the cop he wasn't texting at all, but was simply turning his bluetooth on to listen to music. (Which wasn't a lie, he was pairing it with his SYNC system.) The cop wrote him a ticket anyways and said he could fight it in court. He goes to court (for a $25 ticket mind you) and explains his hands free device is in the car stereo and he was trying to pair it so he could talk hands free in accordance to the law. The judge waived the ticket and told him next time to do that while the vehicle was not in motion.

A week later I hear on the news the law has been changed to, "Driving while operating any mobile device at anytime in any vehcile that is in motion is against the law and will receive a ticket."

I always wondered if it was from him. What's funny is I still see cops driving with the phone to their ear. Citizens Arrest!!!
    The whole law is just another attempt by Big Brother to legislate every waking minute of every day for everyone! It is getting ridiculous.

Don't talk on your cell phone, but around here, you can't get people to STOP at stop signs, or slow down for yield signs, so why bother legislating cell phone use.

I don't know of a state or provincial law that doesn't exempt the police and other emergency services from using phones while driving. It seems pretty hypocritical to me.

requiemX55 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F1671
    Blackberry owners are just sweet like that !!

pblakney no está en línea Stack level 2
    I find it rather difficult to follow a law that is hard to enforce. Also find it hard to follow when I have seen OFFICERS of THE LAW using thier cell phones while driving here in WA. For those who can drive and talk at the same time going the posted or above posted speed limit......well a guy can dream.
    P.Blakeney

thecircuitbox no está en línea Stack level 2
    I never text, email, or talk. I know it can always wait. We need laws like this to prevent idiots from killing people. Here in Texas I do not know if we have such laws but I do hope they are on the way. Aside from speeding, I obey the laws pretty well, but there is always that one person on the phone going twice as fast as everyone else or twice as slow; makes me want to slap them sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeloAvrgJoe View Post
    I'm with you, this is good. What is sad is that common sense things have to be made into laws because of idiots.
    ROFL sooo true and the saddest part is that this doesn't just apply to laws but food, clothing, toys etc etc etc. It is the reason they have so many warning and labels on things. Common sense is dieing rapidly.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast