Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Last July they passed a law here in California stating you MUST be hands free ... General Blackberry forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Horrible New Law!!!

Advertisement

Last July they passed a law here in California stating you MUST be hands free to use your device in the car while driving. The funny thing was if you would read into the law, text messaging wasn't applied! You could still text while driving!

Well I just saw on the news last night that some Senator is looking to outlaw texting while driving in ALL states. Man that's wack-sauce!!!

Luckily for us, the Blackberry users can still Email and PIN. Oh yes, I can see it now, they pass the NO TEXTING Law, and Emailing and PINning will fall through the cracks, seeing how Texting is classified as SMS (and maybe even MMS), but by definition Email and PIN messages won't count because they use a different type of technology.

Guaranteed though, a cop pulls me over thinking I'm texting and I'm like "No Mr. Officer, I'm emailing. They're 2 very different things, and the law says nothing about Emailing being against the law, just texting!"

Then taking the case to court, they'll ban cellphones from being turned on in people's cars.

So is anyone here in a state that has a hands free law? Does anyone obey that law? If they ban texting will you be S.O.L.? Will you still email from your Berry?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Personally, I tend not to use my phone when im driving, unless i really have to... i have to admit that ive txt, emailed and/or bbm while driving. In MA, they are starting to crack on to people being on the phones will driving. some cops in some towns are actually stopping people and giving citations., i heard in some place that now insurance may also request from police a record of txt or calls, to see if you were using your phone in case you got into an accident...
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    They have this law in WA. but I have to admit I'm not perfect at following it. I can see the safety issue as to why they have this law and what its purpose is for. Now would anyone really be willing to challenge the court in the differences between SMS, PIN, and email?

Smurf2598 no está en línea Themes Expert
    PIN/ID
    320FE245
    Quote Originally Posted by SeRViiCiiO View Post
    Personally, I tend not to use my phone when im driving, unless i really have to... i have to admit that ive txt, emailed and/or bbm while driving. In MA, they are starting to crack on to people being on the phones will driving. some cops in some towns are actually stopping people and giving citations., i heard in some place that now insurance may also request from police a record of txt or calls, to see if you were using your phone in case you got into an accident...

Especially while in an accident the insurance CAN request a copy f txt , call or email while driving.. it is to prove fault and how lethal ophones really are.. sadly i agree most people CANNOT drive while using their phones and they should be held liable even if u hit them but they were txting they would be wrong totally... what a twist the law actually working for us in some way...
    now me i have a BT so i will not answer my fone unless i have a headset attached to iut.. only time i txt while driving is if im in massive traffic... no ifs ands or butts.. but i will read every message i get out of habit... so Hands Free law im for it.. be safer.. and now with a kid on the way im thinkin even more along the lines of i wanna be here for my kid so ill take every step to try to prevent anything while driving...
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]~~ J. SMURF <~~[/FONT]

BBThemesUnltd
    --- My Site
    Follow me on Twitter
    @JSmurfy
    @BBThemesUnltd

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    I saw that in the news like 2 months ago stating that driving while texting is now BANNED. That was for us New Yorkers, but now it seems this will be for everywhere.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8320 - 4.5.0.69 OS BETA!
    [heavycomponent@tmo.blackberry.net]

--HeavyC.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

atleastzero no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2420565A
    Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    They have this law in WA. but I have to admit I'm not perfect at following it. I can see the safety issue as to why they have this law and what its purpose is for. Now would anyone really be willing to challenge the court in the differences between SMS, PIN, and email?
    HAha. Don't forget MMS
    www.ATLEASTZERO.com -~- my WebComic
    PIN: 2420565A -~- T-Mo 8320 4.5.0.52

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Get vLingo and you can do voice-activated texting!

Smurf2598 no está en línea Themes Expert
    PIN/ID
    320FE245
    [quote=HeavyComponent;896193]I saw that in the news like 2 months ago stating that driving while texting is now BANNED. That was for us New Yorkers, but now it seems this will be for everywhere.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8320 - 4.5.0.69 OS BETA!
    [heavycomponent@tmo.blackberry.net]

--HeavyC.

Yup sad but true NY always gets it first because of all the publicity.. we are the information capital.. then it spreads like wild fire... i know the feeling i used to live in NY for 26 Years... i hear ya man i hear ya
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]~~ J. SMURF <~~[/FONT]

BBThemesUnltd
    --- My Site
    Follow me on Twitter
    @JSmurfy
    @BBThemesUnltd

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Get vLingo and you can do voice-activated texting!
    Vlingo isn't working for me, ever since I switched to 4.5, it's not recognizing anything I say. I tried updateing to the newer version, installed it fine, but same thing. I deleted it b/c it just took up way too much space, why have it there when if that's the only reason why i downloaded it?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    After that accident in Florida this week and the train wreck in CA, it is a good thing. I have on occasion used mine but, I got a car cradel and it makes it harder to text and check email, works good for voice call, I do not drop as often.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Vlingo isn't working for me, ever since I switched to 4.5, it's not recognizing anything I say. I tried updateing to the newer version, installed it fine, but same thing. I deleted it b/c it just took up way too much space, why have it there when if that's the only reason why i downloaded it?
    Hm. I had to reactivate after I upgraded, but haven't had any issues with it. Yeah, no sense having it if it's unusable.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    vllingo does not like accents and had problems with it doing what I wanted it to. Un-installed it a few days after trying it. Might try again sometime.

c0rinne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C94BF
    How is this a bad thing?

Considering the fact that almost 80% of the drivers out there think that they are "above average" drivers, I'm pretty sure most have no clue how well (or not so well) they drive.

I get honked at for following the appropriate rules of the road (and I'm 22), for not breaking the law just because I can. That makes me believe that we need more, not less, regulation when it comes to driving.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    There is a no texting while driving law here in Phoenix. It was passed not long after a teenage girl died in a car crash while texting and driving. Right now the law is not statewide, but they are working on it. I really do try to not text, email, or BBM while driving. I use vlingo all the time, it works well for me thankfully. For BBM I have my son type for me if he's in the car.

Of course then he messes with people and says things I would never say LOL

I don't disagree with the law....it's needed....none of us should let texting distract us when driving, even if 99% of people do it and never get in an accident....I don't want to be the 1% that causes the death of another just so I can answer a message.

But just like speeding and no right on red, I still sometimes break the law and message while driving
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

BeloAvrgJoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rinne View Post
    How is this a bad thing?

Considering the fact that almost 80% of the drivers out there think that they are "above average" drivers, I'm pretty sure most have no clue how well (or not so well) they drive.

I get honked at for following the appropriate rules of the road (and I'm 22), for not breaking the law just because I can. That makes me believe that we need more, not less, regulation when it comes to driving.

I'm with you, this is good. What is sad is that common sense things have to be made into laws because of idiots.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast