Hi all. I apologize in advance for this lengthy post. I've been using the Pearl ... General Blackberry forum

superkrai no está en línea Stack level 2

Holster magnet issues

Advertisement

Hi all. I apologize in advance for this lengthy post. I've been using the Pearl for 2 1/2 months now without any issues. Never had to reset by pulling out the battery until today.

This morning I took the pearl out of the holster to check a text msg I just received. After checking and replying it still shows as if there is still a new message. I then delete the msg and its still there as if I never checked it. So I take out the battery and that solved it.

Being home all day I didn't need it holstered so it wasn't and all day everything was normal. Have been eating away at my text msg plan all day. Then I go out to dinner and holster the pearl and received checked and responded to another txt msg and guess what-message shows as if I never checked it.

My only conclusion at this point is that the magnet in the holster is messing up something. Any ideas?

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Holster magnet issues

I highly doubt that the holster has anything to due with it, I have a magnetic holster and never had a problem. The only thing I can think of is, since you never had to do a battery pull I would say that you were running low on memory.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Did you recently *upgrade* your OS or maybe switch to a different theme? This happened to me right after I upgraded and kept doing it until I went back to the older OS.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by superkrai
    HAfter checking and replying it still shows as if there is still a new message. I then delete the msg and its still there as if I never checked it. So I take out the battery and that solved it.
    The good news is there is nothing wrong with your BlackBerry.

This is a normal situation that is caused at the Carrier level and generally occurs every so often no matter which carrier you are with. It also happens with regular cell phones from time to time. It's not that frequent and you already found the solution. Just simply remove and replace the battery.

I have used many, many phones, smartphones etc and I can speak from personal experience that there is nothing better than a BlackBerry. They are stable, crash free and a device that just works period.

It's nice to have the peace of mind that you have a well supported, well engineered phone that will serve you well for a very long time.

Cheers.......

I don't think there is anything wrong with the berry. I think its the magnets that mess these up.

I use a case without a magnet which rules out that possibility in my case.

via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by superkrai
    My only conclusion at this point is that the magnet in the holster is messing up something.
    Correlation != causation

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

superkrai, If it was the magnet, then there would be a lot more posts on this subject. I really don't see how it could be. As stated before, it may just be a hiccup in the network or your OS. Or it may even be a memory problem.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

I am going to put the holster away for a week and see what happens. Then after that I will use the holster and compare results.

I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC
    The only thing I can think of is, since you never had to do a battery pull I would say that you were running low on memory.
    You bring up a very valid point here that I had forgotten about, until just now. The first Pearl I had did indeed have a memory leak. While it did not create the symptom that we are reviewing here, nonetheless I did identify it as a true memory leak. Since this occured very early on, I chose to return it to Cingular for a new one. That one I tested upon recieving it and there was no leak.

Later I sold it, but only because it was a bit too small for my liking and one of the guys at work was eager to buy it which made it convenient for both of us.

Overall I really liked the Pearl as I do all BlackBerry models. One of the aspects of the Pearl that I find really exciting is how many new buyers it's bringing into the BlackBerry family of users.

This is a perfect example of how RIM is opening up and taking the big picture of market trends and consumer preferences seriously. By entering the mainstream it truly strengthens RIM's position going forward, which is exactly what's needed for them to survive in the long run. Companies like Samsung are huge and a real threat.

Three cheers for RIM and the new products that are beginning to emerge!

Cheers.....

What is a memory leak and how can I test for this?

Ok folks. Its been 2 weeks and I have not used the holster once and I have not had a single issue with the pearl. I will use the holster when I get up in the morning and let you know if my theory is right or wrong.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

well, I have been using the Holster since I got the Pearl, and haven't had one problem that you described.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Ok. Used the holster this morning and bam, the very next text msg gets stuck and I had to do a battery pull.

I guess its just my phone and holster issue since nobody else has seen or heard of it. I might buy another holster next.