Anybody know how I can block SMS from specific numbers? I know there is the ... General Blackberry forum

flava no está en línea Stack level 2

help with blocking SMS from a specific number

Advertisement

Anybody know how I can block SMS from specific numbers? I know there is the iberry black & white list but that is for phone calls only as far as I know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Go to Options>Security Options>Firewall.

You'll see options to block SMS messages and below that you can specify which addresses/numbers to or not to block

Hope this helps!

Roger

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

You'll see options to block SMS messages and below that you can specify which addresses/numbers to or not to block

Hope this helps!

Roger
    Thanks! just followed the instructions, chose "SMS" "Except Messages From" "Contacts" had a coworker text me and it worked. So, as long as the Person is not in your contacts it will work...

flava no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks RoGro. I can seen how it is that we can block all SMS and put some exceptions (such as contact or a specific number). Is there a way we can allow all SMS except for a specific number? and yes, somebody is being innapropriate...

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by flava View Post
    Thanks RoGro. I can seen how it is that we can block all SMS and put some exceptions (such as contact or a specific number). Is there a way we can allow all SMS except for a specific number? and yes, somebody is being innapropriate...
    Contact your or their service provider and file a complaint. Part of the Terms Of Service is not to use it in innapropriate ways.

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

Hope this helps!

Roger
    I've been to this setting and I have no options under block sms, just a check box. Is the ability to block/allow certain addresses a 4.5 OS thing? I checked the menu, it has reset count, edit default permissions, etc., but nothing about excluding numbers/addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatLoafT View Post
    I've been to this setting and I have no options under block sms, just a check box. Is the ability to block/allow certain addresses a 4.5 OS thing? I checked the menu, it has reset count, edit default permissions, etc., but nothing about excluding numbers/addresses.
    If you were to put a check mark in contacts, this will Block All SMS from AnyOne not in your Contacts/Address Book... So the person or persons that you don't want even a text message from, don't put them in your address book...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    If you were to put a check mark in contacts, this will Block All SMS from AnyOne not in your Contacts/Address Book... So the person or persons that you don't want even a text message from, don't put them in your address book...
    I mean under the firewall setting I have:

Status Enable/Disable
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Block Incoming Messages
    <checkbox> SMS 0 Blocked
    <checkbox> PIN 0 Blocked
    <checkbox> BlackBerry Internet Service 0 Blocked

This is it, no other options at all, even under the menu. I am on BIS, and running 4.2 OS (.196)

Quote Originally Posted by MeatLoafT View Post
    I mean under the firewall setting I have:

Status Enable/Disable
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Block Incoming Messages
    <checkbox> SMS 0 Blocked
    <checkbox> PIN 0 Blocked
    <checkbox> BlackBerry Internet Service 0 Blocked

This is it, no other options at all, even under the menu. I am on BIS, and running 4.2 OS (.196)
    And that is what I am referring to, place a chk mek next to contacts and as stated anyone not in your contacts can not leave a txt mss.

white2003 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very nice!! I always wondered about that.

When I was running 4.2.2.X that wasn't an option. I'm running the 4.5 beta and it is there.

Ahh, so it is the OS version. Got it. It's not available on mine. Guess I'll wait for an official 4.5 or February when I get my Storm. :-P

white2003 no está en línea Stack level 3
    There hasn't been anything official that I have seen but it seems like there might not be a real 4.5 for the 8830.

2 of my coworkers have the Storm and they like it but they are still getting used to not having keys. They are used to the touchscreens from using treos but those still had keys. It sometimes freaks out and freezes but over all it is good. Also it is impossible to type on while driving... which I guess that is a good thing.