My cingular (att) 2 year contract has ended and I can now upgrade my BB!! ... General Blackberry forum

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Help me choose a BB!!

Advertisement

My cingular (att) 2 year contract has ended and I can now upgrade my BB!!
    I currently own the BB pearl and I love it but I am very tempted to get a BB with WIFI, Does anyone know if this wifi enabled bb's will allow me to connect to my home wireless lan?
    I know I would be able to connect to a hotspot somewhere like starbucks or the airport but im more interested in being able to connect to my wireless lan at home / work (i llive in Tijuana MX and work in San Diego ) I would like for the pearl to have wifi but i dont think thats out there yet i read something about the pearl 2 but theres nothing guaranteed on it (is there?).
    Anyways maybe the 8820 ? does the att's 8820 come with gps after all?
    If there was something super cool coming up in the next 2-3 months I wouldnt mind waiting....

THANKS!!!!!

-Antonio

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Help me choose a BB!!

The 8820 has both Wi-Fi and GPS but no camera. Pearl 2 is not scheduled to release until early next year rumor has it, but I'm not sure.
    8310 is coming out this Thursday 10/11, but it will have GPS only no Wi-Fi http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...0_10_11_a.html
    If you can live without the camera I would say the 8820 would be the one, but the Curve is definitely
    my preference in a BB
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

8820 has gps and wifi - remember att does not give you full access to wifi, you can not make calls via wifi with att, only data

of course the 8820 has no camera
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i would go with the 8820

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    8820 has gps and wifi - remember att does not give you full access to wifi, you can not make calls via wifi with att, only data

of course the 8820 has no camera
    Kkkkkkkk wait!
    This is where I'm most confused with the 8820 I don't mind if I can't use the wifi to place a call (it would be nice tough) but I'm really interested in using the wifi to connect to my wireless lan at home(my ISP is Mexican).will that be possible with the 8820? The pics aren't the big deal for me video would be nicer tough.

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

My BB 8820 works great with WiFi at my place (I've a wireless router). Setup was one of the simplest I've ever seen and I used a lot of PDAs before (shame on me).

Another thing, sometimes I'm at work related places where GSM signal is blocked out for security reasons but they still have WiFi. Meaning, you can still comunicate (IM, email etc) in WiFied buildings where you've no GSM reception.

A big pro of 8820 is GPS. Works MUCH better than I expected. It even connects inside of buildings whenever I'm close to a window. It has a better satellite connectivity than my stand alone GPS receiver.

Go for a 8820 and remember, check if you can get any premier AT&T discounts through your work place or university. I got my Berry for $149 - $25 online discount :-D

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by cubus
    My BB 8820 works great with WiFi at my place (I've a wireless router). Setup was one of the simplest I've ever seen and I used a lot of PDAs before (shame on me).

Another thing, sometimes I'm at work related places where GSM signal is blocked out for security reasons but they still have WiFi. Meaning, you can still comunicate (IM, email etc) in WiFied buildings where you've no GSM reception.

A big pro of 8820 is GPS. Works MUCH better than I expected. It even connects inside of buildings whenever I'm close to a window. It has a better satellite connectivity than my stand alone GPS receiver.

Go for a 8820 and remember, check if you can get any premier AT&T discounts through your work place or university. I got my Berry for $149 - $25 online discount :-D
    WOOt that's a great deal how do I go about that ? I don't work for any major company and Im not a student any clues anyone ? I'm about to pay the
    300 for an upgrade with att can anyone tell me how to save some money ?
    Thanks for your input cubus!

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

go with at&t's curve

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyxedge
    go with at&t's curve
    ATT's curve is NICE but it doesnt have WIFI...
    I have so far realized that for my next BB I WANT WIFI
    Now Im just having a hard time deciding wich way to go..
    8820 From ATT, with WIFI no camera (???) and GPS ( I would like gps if I didnt have to pay a monthly fee)
    or 8320 much nicer and has a camera but no gps (Its TMO so I have to like buy an 8310 from ATT then exchange with someone who has the 8320 unlocked or sell the 8310 trough ebay then buy an unlocked 8320 on ebay as well.. huh!)
    i rather have camera than gps...

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

yeah you got yourself in a situations. did you want to sell your pearl, because you can buy a tmo curve and sell your pearl, and you can make most your money back

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyxedge
    yeah you got yourself in a situations. did you want to sell your pearl, because you can buy a tmo curve and sell your pearl, and you can make most your money back
    No i do not plan on selling my pearl I lost my mexican cell phone recently so I am unlocking it and using it with my mexican SIM
    Now that i think about it I think If I sell my pearl unlocked in Mexico I can get up to like 500 dlls lol!
    Should look into it huh!

Quote Originally Posted by cabron
    ATT's curve is NICE but it doesnt have WIFI...
    and GPS ( I would like gps if I didnt have to pay a monthly fee)
    You don't have to pay a fee. Just don't subscribe to TeleNav. There are other software such as Google Maps, which works amazingly well. Maybe I'd not consider it a navigation software but you'll definately find your way around.

BB Maps is locked, though I've no idea why AT&T decided to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by cabron
    WOOt that's a great deal how do I go about that ? I don't work for any major company and Im not a student any clues anyone ? I'm about to pay the
    300 for an upgrade with att can anyone tell me how to save some money ?
    Thanks for your input cubus!
    You may have some friends who are students or University employees. I don't believe that an actual owner has to buy the plan through premier.
    Other than this, try Amazon - $199.99