OK.. this is REALLY weird.. Hopefully I can be convinced that it CANT be my ... General Blackberry forum

Sprung no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304D032C

Question HELP! I think my BB is setting off the shoplifter alarms!

Advertisement

OK.. this is REALLY weird.. Hopefully I can be convinced that it CANT be my BB...

For the last month or so, whenever I go into a store that has those shoplifter alarms, I set them off.. On the way IN and OUT..

Doesnt matter what Im wearing.. the only constants are my wallet and my BB. Its a Verizon 7130e, if that matters, in a not new Verizon holster deal. If I turn it OFF, I dont set off alarms.. I dont have anything really weird installed on it.. no bluetooth with me at that point.. It's starting to make me paranoid.

I have the following installed on my BB, like I said nothign weird:
    Yahoo Msgr, but almost never on
    Texas Holdem
    Weather push
    Ka-Glom
    Pinstack reader

Runnign 4.10.268

Any thoughts? or am I just REALLY paranoid?

BD
    NEW STORM on VZW, OLD: 8310 ,8300, 7130E

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: HELP! I think my BB is setting off the shoplifter alarms!

Wow, that would be funny if it was! But, ahem, no I don't think it is, unless something is really screwy with your magnet on the inside of that thing!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

smthkat789 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E46C44

It could be your bb is transmitting the same frequency as a RFID or sensormatic tag?
    I would turn off your bb and ask that the store gently wave your bb over the 'deactivate sensor tag pad.'
    If you hear a 'beep' then whatever tag was in your bb is now inactive.
    Turn on the bb and check again, if it still persists then its time for RIM to check it out. It shouldn't be transmitting the same frequency as a anti theft tag. Otherwise, wierd story...

PIN/ID
    304D032C

Will it hurt the BB to wave it over that de-beeper for lack of a better word.. I picture that as a degausser.. doesnt seem to electronics friendly. Oh well, thats what insurance/warranty are for I guess.

smthkat789 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E46C44

No, the deactivate pad is harmless, as I have seen many people put their phones and credit cards on it with no problems.
    The pad when it deactivates a tag, the antenna circuit is tripped. Thus the contacts no longer beep at the entry alarms. The entry alarms have a low power output that turns on the tag. If the tag isnt deactivated it will receive the frequency to trigger the alarm.
    Just turn off the bb, to be safe.

To check how much power the bb is producing load a app. with data flow, then turn on a AM radio. If you are getting feedback from 1-5 feet away then thats not good. Dont put this in your pants pocket or the family jewels will turn into mutants, LOL!

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

This happens to me at only one store in my area - Barnes & Noble. Strange.

8703e on VZW

CoreyS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A25005

Quote Originally Posted by smthkat789
    No, the deactivate pad is harmless, as I have seen many people put their phones and credit cards on it with no problems.
    The Sensormatic pad doesn't hurt credit cards if you just put the card on it. However, if the card is sitting on the pad and you deactivate a tag, the card is toast. I wouldn't want to know what it could do to my BB.

I used to have a problem setting off the alarms in most stores (but never the one at Best Buy for some odd reason). I thought it was the RFID keyfob for the doors at work until one day I was digging thru my wallet for something and found a security tag in there. It was never deactivated when I got the new wallet and I never connected the fact that this all started when I bought the new wallet.

jaysun930 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2431c3f2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i only have the problem at best buy and its not just with the BB I also had that problem with the sk

PIN/ID
    304D032C

I talked to a securiity guy at BB today. He said it's happeneing more and more often. He thinks its the batteries in the phones today. He says it also happens when workmen bring in power tools. He wouldnt run my BB over the deactivator because he didnt want to be responsible "just in case".

I checked my wallet for somethign new, but its all just credit cards, not a new wallet or anything. This is just gettting more and more frustrating. It's weird, it didnt happen when I first got my BB. Seems like only recently. maybe I swallowed a RFID tag. You dont think they embed them IN the soles of shoes?

Brian

CoreyS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A25005

Actually they DO have them in shoes. It's been a problem for a while where the shoe stores don't have a way to deactivate them or they just don't know about them. We've deactivated shoes for people multiple times in my store. I even had one customer with a tag on a case for her zip disk and didn't know it.

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well that is something that has been done. I have seen shoes being deactivated thus the need for some manufactures to label them airport friendly, so you won't beep on your way to the plane

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

That happened with me with my samsung t809 and my blackberry 8700g. I couldn't go anywhere with those devices. The alarm would constantly go off. I did some playing around and they wouldn't go off if I turned my device completely off or if I actually turned off my bluetooth. If you have turned on your bluetooth turn it off or disconnect it from your headset and give that. Awhirl~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~