Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I connect my BB to my PC and BB asks if I want to turn ... General Blackberry forum

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293

HELP! Computer/DM not recognizing BB!!!

Advertisement

I connect my BB to my PC and BB asks if I want to turn on Mass Storage, I say yes, wait a little bit and open My Computer on my PC. It is not recognizing the BB. There is no drive for it. Previously it had shown up as drive E:. When I go into my DM and then Media Manager, it's not recognizing BB either! The media card memory doesn't show up at all in Media Manager (even though the BB recognizes the media card's files...ie I can play the songs and vids that are stored on it). The Device Memory shows up in that bottom window, but none of the files (ringtones, etc) that I KNOW are on the device's memory show up either.

All of this is new. I use mass storage almost daily and have never had problems until now. I have an 8130 with 4.3.0.127 (which was installed using the DM, so those match up).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Curses!! I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    There might be other alternatives. I would say wait to see what others have to say before you do anything.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Happened to me twice, all I did was restart my PC.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Wow, not everything is about unloading the OS on the phone. if the computer isnt recognizing i wouldnt reload. i would check device manager.
    Last edited by TorturedNacho; 06-30-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F
    Have you tried removing the memory card and re-inserting it? might help
    BlackBerry Bold
    OS v4.6.0.112

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Took out and put back in the Card - No dice. Restarted my computer - no dice. Not sure what else to try, other than reloading the OS. Trying to avoid that though.....

Thanks for y'all's help so far.

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Quote Originally Posted by uncleman View Post
    Took out and put back in the Card - No dice. Restarted my computer - no dice. Not sure what else to try, other than reloading the OS. Trying to avoid that though.....

Thanks for y'all's help so far.
    You said nothing about looking in device manager ... Do you know what that is.

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Sorry Nacho, yes I know what the DM is. The funny thing is that the DM does recognize my BB to the extent that the Application Loader recognizes it and shows me all the stuff that's on my BB. But again, the Media Manager within DM does not recognize it.

When you say "look" at the DM, what exactly do you mean?

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    I would try this paying particular attention to Cause 4. Hope it helps.

Unable to view the media card using Windows Explorer

Doc ID : KB11883
    Last Modified : 2007-08-24
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment

• BlackBerry® smartphone

Problem

The BlackBerry smartphone user is unable to view the contents of the inserted media card using Microsoft® Windows® Explorer. The media card does appear correctly as a storage device in Windows Device Manager.

Cause

Summary of Causes
    This issue may be caused by one of the following:
    1. Mass storage mode is not enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    2. If BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.2 or BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 Service Pack 1 (4.2.1) is installed, Media Manager in BlackBerry® Desktop Manager is open.
    3. The media card has not been formatted for the BlackBerry smartphone, or the folder structure on the media card is corrupt.
    4. There is a conflicting drive mapping in Microsoft Windows between the media card and another resource.

Resolution

Complete the appropriate resolution for the cause.
    Cause 1
    Mass storage mode is not enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Resolution
    Enable mass storage mode on the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB13564.
    Cause 2
    If BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 or BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 Service Pack 1 (4.2.1) is installed, Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager is open. Windows Explorer and Media Manager cannot view the contents of the media card at the same time.
    Resolution
    Close Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Note: When running BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.2 Service Pack 2 (4.2.2) or later, both Windows Explorer and Media Manager can view the contents of the media card at the same time.
    Cause 3
    The media card has not been formatted for the BlackBerry smartphone, or the folder structure on the media card is corrupt.
    Resolution
    Format the media card. For instructions, see KB10527.
    Cause 4
    There is a conflicting drive mapping in Microsoft Windows between the media card and another resource.
    Resolution
    Note: To complete this resolution, the BlackBerry smartphone user must have administrator rights on the computer.
    1. Open the Computer Management console on the computer by navigating to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
    2. If another resource is mapped to the same drive letter as the media card (such as a network drive), change the drive mapping for the removable media. To perform this, complete the following steps:
      1. Right-click on the removable media item and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
      2. Select the current drive letter, and change it to an unused letter.

Additional Information

• If you are unable to view the media card using the Media application on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB10312.
    • If you are unable to view the media card using Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager, see KB12239.

PIN/ID
    208EB87C

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge View Post
    I would try this paying particular attention to Cause 4. Hope it helps.

Unable to view the media card using Windows Explorer

Doc ID : KB11883
    Last Modified : 2007-08-24
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment

• BlackBerry® smartphone

Problem

The BlackBerry smartphone user is unable to view the contents of the inserted media card using Microsoft® Windows® Explorer. The media card does appear correctly as a storage device in Windows Device Manager.

Cause

Summary of Causes

This issue may be caused by one of the following:
    1. Mass storage mode is not enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    2. If BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.2 or BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 Service Pack 1 (4.2.1) is installed, Media Manager in BlackBerry® Desktop Manager is open.
    3. The media card has not been formatted for the BlackBerry smartphone, or the folder structure on the media card is corrupt.
    4. There is a conflicting drive mapping in Microsoft Windows between the media card and another resource.

Resolution

Complete the appropriate resolution for the cause.
    Cause 1
    Mass storage mode is not enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Resolution
    Enable mass storage mode on the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB13564.
    Cause 2
    If BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 or BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 Service Pack 1 (4.2.1) is installed, Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager is open. Windows Explorer and Media Manager cannot view the contents of the media card at the same time.
    Resolution
    Close Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Note: When running BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.2 Service Pack 2 (4.2.2) or later, both Windows Explorer and Media Manager can view the contents of the media card at the same time.
    Cause 3
    The media card has not been formatted for the BlackBerry smartphone, or the folder structure on the media card is corrupt.
    Resolution
    Format the media card. For instructions, see KB10527.
    Cause 4
    There is a conflicting drive mapping in Microsoft Windows between the media card and another resource.
    Resolution

Note: To complete this resolution, the BlackBerry smartphone user must have administrator rights on the computer.
    1. Open the Computer Management console on the computer by navigating to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
    2. If another resource is mapped to the same drive letter as the media card (such as a network drive), change the drive mapping for the removable media. To perform this, complete the following steps:
      1. Right-click on the removable media item and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
      2. Select the current drive letter, and change it to an unused letter.

Additional Information

• If you are unable to view the media card using the Media application on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB10312.
    • If you are unable to view the media card using Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager, see KB12239.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ IS what i mean by "looking" at device Manager.

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Eddie and Nacho, thank you very much. And sorry Nacho, was getting Device Manager and Desktop Manager mixed up! oops.

I think that #4 may be the problem but I still can't figure out how to fix it. When I go into Computer Management, the BB shows up under Storage/Removable Storage/Media and also under Libraries as RIM BlackBerry SD USB Device. When I go into Device Manager, it shows up as the same thing under Disk drives.

That said, it still doesn't show up under MyComputer. I can't find where I would change the drive letter and paths.

I'm very sorry that I'm a computer idiot.....Again, thanks a million for your help.

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    I would go under your USB connection and see if there is A Yellow, Red, Black and Yellow Exclamation, Question Mark, X on the Device, if there is unplug it and then run the repair. that should fix the issue.

If anything go into Options / Connection Settings , and make sure you DETECT the blackberry via usb .

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Quote Originally Posted by TorturedNacho View Post
    I would go under your USB connection and see if there is A Yellow, Red, Black and Yellow Exclamation, Question Mark, X on the Device, if there is unplug it and then run the repair. that should fix the issue.

If anything go into Options / Connection Settings , and make sure you DETECT the blackberry via usb .
    I assume you mean look at the USB Connection from within Device Manager? There are no colors, exclamation points, etc on the device. It all looks ok. The BB is recognized and says 'working properly' but still no drive letter in My Computer or Media Manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast