Hey all. Kinda new here, but I'm hoping for some feedback. I can currently afford ... General Blackberry forum

Mini2Go no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Headset or Case?

Advertisement

Hey all. Kinda new here, but I'm hoping for some feedback. I can currently afford to get either a case/holster or a headset, but not both. I'm really quite torn. I think that the case/holster I'm looking at would be great both for protection and for overall convenience. But I currently use the OEM case (not that I like it very much) and think that the headset would offer its own kind of protection by not requiring me to get the phone out as often. Of course the headset would also add to not only convenience but to my safety while driving (no law requiring headsets here, yet) - but I'm usually only on the phone while driving a few times a week.

I can see legitimate arguments for and against on both items, which is why I'm asking for your input. So, please chime in with your thoughts on which makes sense to get first. It'll most likely be another couple of months before I get whichever item becomes second on the list.

bbnovice422 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Headset or Case?

I would probably get the headset (since you already have a case) and then get a case that I like later.

Eldeano no está en línea Stack level 3

I would say headphones, since you have the OEM case. I really like the one that came with the Pearl. Start there and get a different case down the road. I would also suggest getting media card as well. I use my phone as my mp3 player.

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

I'd go for the headset because you have the case (and it has the sleeper magnet.) Besides the fact that it's easier to have a private conversation while using the BB as a PDA. Or play a game during a boring phone call, LOL.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by Eldeano View Post
    I would say headphones, since you have the OEM case. I really like the one that came with the Pearl. Start there and get a different case down the road. I would also suggest getting media card as well. I use my phone as my mp3 player.
    Same here, to bad it drains the battery so fast ..

Quote Originally Posted by MeatLoafT View Post
    Besides the fact that it's easier to have a private conversation while using the BB as a PDA. Or play a game during a boring phone call, LOL.
    Excellent point! As a newcomer to the realm of smartphones (well, I've supported them, I just haven't owned one), that hadn't even occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldeano View Post
    I would also suggest getting media card as well.
    Since I hadn't yet decided which case or headset I wanted, I asked for (and got) a media card for X-mas!
    Last edited by Mini2Go; 01-15-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Eldeano no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mini2Go View Post
    Since I hadn't yet decided which case or headset I wanted, I asked for (and got) a media card for X-mas!
    Excellent, but you still should get the headset, cheap on eBay. Which card did you get. I have a 4GB. There is supposed to be a 16GB rolling out in June. But RIM will probably need an OS upgrade to support it.

I don't know how good (or bad) a plan it was, but I went against my own general rule of thumb to buy as much memory as you can at any time and opted for a "deal" on a 1GB card that came with a handful of adapters, including a USB adapter. I could have had a 2GB card for the same price with just a 'standard' adapter. Since I'm not a big music person, I didn't see where I needed a whole lot of space (seeing as though you can't even save apps to the card). And I figured the adapters would still be useful later if I get a bigger card.

After being out on the road today, I'm leaning heavily toward a headset.

Even though I see a LOT of positive said about the Aliph Jawbone, I don't think I'm going that route. For one, I'm pretty particular on comfort and I see just a few too many hit-or-miss reviews for comfort for me to want to take a risk on it. Plus, the ongoing reviews from owners suggest that the ear hooks tend to break and are a little pricey to replace. Finally, I read a variety of folks saying that it isn't easy to put on/take off quickly. I don't intend to have it on my head ALL the time, so slipping it out of my pocket and putting it on quickly is also important. Lastly, sound quality is more important to me that aesthetics.

The only other headset that I seem to read only positive things about is the Plantronics Voyager 520. It isn't exactly new, flashy, or terribly exciting - but nobody really seems to knock it in their reviews. Plus, it is a veritable bargain compared to the Jawbone (at nearly half the price)! I just hope that it isn't flat-out trumped by something completely new and amazing within a month or two! But... I didn't see anything all that exciting in headsets being covered at CES.

Thanks for the replies.

dmnall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241D25C9

Well I have not used either a jawbone or plantronics Voyager 520, but the current headset I am using is the BlueAnt Z9 and it is great. I think the BA V1 is going to be a big deal where you can do all the bt functions by talking to it. And for the price of the Z9, you can get it off e-bay for roughly $ 60.. I bought mine locally and paid $ 85.00 because of a discount but the thing is worth it even for a 100.

Charlie

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

headset -- you can upgrade the oem case later.

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

I just got my second Jabra bt200 series. I highly recommend this thing. I got the bt250v.
    It is so comfortable that I forget it is there until the phone rings.
    I would suggest a headset over a case.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I ordered the Voyager 520 last night. I should have it early next week. ...I might even try to do a review for it, since I don't see one in the review section here.

BBAddict8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30694B05

I am really picky with this sort of stuff, though I need a headset especially for driving, I am a nut about protecting my phone from scratches or drops, especially having a toddler running around trying to grab my phone at any chance he can get..so I would go for the case and use the wired headset for the time being then go for a bluetooth headset. I am currently using the Otterbox case for my curve and its great, I then purchased the Plantronics Discovery 655...best headset I've ever used. It' comfort and light and I can use it ALL day without it hurting my ear.
    BBADDICT8100@PINSTACK.COM
    NEW PIN 30694B05
    GOOGLETALK: JUDYJUSTIN973
    YAHOO: JUDYJUSTIN973
    AIM: JEEPGIRL2K3

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

I had a Jabra 250 and really liked the size, comfort and sound quality. The downside was any moving air over the mic would drown me out to the other person. I have the Jawbone now and the noise filtering is great, the comfort is good if you adjust the wire to your ear. On the downside, huge bulge in a shirt pocket, and I'm on my last ear wire (pretty brittle stuff.)
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~