Hi. I did a search on the forums, but didn't seem to find this topic. ... General Blackberry forum

jmareditor no está en línea Stack level 1

Has anyone encountered fake virus alerts on their BB?

Advertisement

Hi. I did a search on the forums, but didn't seem to find this topic. Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere.

I've had my Bold since last Nov. Rarely have had any issues, but just a few minutes ago, I encountered a fake virus alert while using the BlackBerry browser. I clicked on a link while googling and the fake virus alert popup msg appeared. I immediately hit the escape button, stopped the original link from loading, cleared out my cache, and closed out of the browser. Then I did a battery pull and watched while it rebooted to see if anything strange happened. After it rebooted, I ran the Memory Cleaner twice (yes, I freaked! lol).

Nothing seems out of the ordinary except when it rebooted, it said "Media Card Inserted" before the security options ran. But I could have knocked the card loose in my panic to pull the battery.

While I've encountered the fake virus crap on my computer, I've never encountered it on my Bold nor have I remembered seeing this issue posted on PS before. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there anything else I should be checking? Or am I just being over protective of my precious Berry. LOL.

Many thanks in advance.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I've never seen anything like that. It couldn't have been a popup in the sense of a regular PC browser. Probably just part of the page you were loading. Out of curiosity, what website was it?

As far as the "Media card inserted," that happens every time you do a battery pull. It is completely normal.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    If you know its a fake virus alert, then why did you panic?

I agree with MotoUp, it probably was some javascript popup on that website.

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    Like everyone else has said, it was part of the page you were viewing. I've never even heard of a virus on a blackberry - there's no anti virus made for blackberries because there's not any need for it. I wouldn't do too much worrying about a virus on your blackberry
    Who told you, you could eat my cookies? Put that cookie down!... Now!
    Courtesy of the Govenator

ajaxn2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    sorry havent seen this at all. i concur with the previous poster, it may be part of the pages you are going to.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Nevah!!!!!!! my bb's the bomb diggitty. Can't touch this. Now iphones on the other hand lol... If only apple would implement their same principle on their phone as they do on their machines...sigh. <----iphone public enemy #uno
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

jmareditor no está en línea Stack level 1
    A belated thanks to everyone who eased my mind...and to raton for the much-needed chuckle.