Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Im just wondering when you do a hard reset will it delete your os, and ... General Blackberry forum

fxyb no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Really??

Hard reset?

Advertisement

Im just wondering when you do a hard reset will it delete your os, and what else?
    Last edited by jblackfish; 01-05-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: color, large bold font

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    by hard reset im assuming you mean, taking out the battery when the device is switched on. you will not lose anything on your device, and no it wont delete the OS at all.

its quite useful to do this every now and again, makes your device run smoother

bkeen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Or if you mean going into Options>Security Options>General Settings>Wipe Handheld, you will lose all your contacts, personal information and you can select to clear all 3rd party apps. You will not lose your OS.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    fxyb,

There's also a Soft Reset program that you can use to reboot in place of having to remove/replace your battery. It's a little "easier on your BB and it adds an icon to your main display. You can get it here OTA.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

sugarspicebaby1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah - they all are right LOL I do hard resets of pulling the battery for cleaning memory and resetting my SD card at least weekly. The program, soft reset, will help for if you are looking to avoid taking out the battery but are installing things like themes or games. The only way though that you ever really do anything to your OS is if you wipe or use Desktop Manager.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    fxyb,

There's also a Soft Reset program that you can use to reboot in place of having to remove/replace your battery. It's a little "easier on your BB and it adds an icon to your main display. You can get it here OTA.
    Thanks John-Ive been looking for that. I had it as a zip on my PC but I deleted it-very useful.

Soft Reset is also handy if you're BB is encased in a Seidio 2-piece case that's not the easiest thing to get apart to pull the battery.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    What does "Soft Reset" actually reset, compared to a battery pull. And how is that "easier" on your BB?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The Soft Reset simply re-boots - what it actually resets is the device...just as a battery pull does - logically the same.

I've read that the act of pulling the battery out and replacing it is not that great (possibly something of a shock) for the BB if done repeatedly...and we do it repeatedly in many cases. It may be a rumor - don't remember where I read it.

Can't prove it L, just what I've read a few times over time. If I see it again I'll let you know.

UPDATE: and, BTW for me it's a matter of convenience. I began using it when I was a Pearl user. Now I simply don't want to "crack" the case open so I use that or the alt-shft-del interchangeably.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 01-05-2009 at 05:43 PM.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    A strait battery pull is equal to pulling the plug on your PC. We all know that's not good. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What I've been using is the alt-shift-delete key combination. Where does that fit in? Is that less stress on your BB, than a battery pull?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    To me alt-shift-delete would be safe since it is built in to the device and would be equal to doing the same on your pc to safely end a locked up program or rebooting. IMO~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

That follows my line of thinking on it, as well. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yeah, I try not to do a battery pull unless its absolutely necessary. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    To me alt-shift-delete would be safe since it is built in to the device and would be equal to doing the same on your pc to safely end a locked up program or rebooting. IMO~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    That follows my line of thinking on it, as well. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Having programmed for years I suspect that the Soft Reset (and other reset) programs are most likely code to perform the alt, shft, del - either/or any of them are better than having to open up the BB and "yank" out the power source IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast