Does anyone know how i can create groups within my contact list and send text ... General Blackberry forum

aliya no está en línea Stack level 1

group text messaging

Advertisement

Does anyone know how i can create groups within my contact list and send text a text message to my entire group.
    I just upgraded from a treo and i found software called group messaging for it. Im sure their is a similar software for my 8310.
    i need to be able to taext to a group of over 100 at a time for business.
    Thank you

melodicbarriste no está en línea Stack level 2
    Not sure about 8310, but on 8130 you can do this as long as you have the people you wish to send to in your contacts. Go to your messages screen (SMS if you have your inboxes separated), and click compose SMS. Press BB button to bring up options and go to "New Group". Type the group's name and you can add contacts to it by going to Add Member in the options under the group name. Once you have everyone in the group, go to the group name in your contacts list and just type the message you want to send out. Hope that helps.

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    you can also go to the address book on the phone and create a group under one name in there that way anytime you want to use it you just select that group when composing the sms.

Address book>menu key>new group>menu key>add member.

rinse, lather and repeat

Thanks for that. i tried it but it only lets me add up to 13 contacts per group. I need over 100.

thanks
    Last edited by aliya; 06-23-2008 at 01:20 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow you have a lot of friends!

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    Thanks for that. i tried it but it only lets me add up to 13 contacts per group. I need over 100.

thanks
    i know its a pain, but you'll have to set up ten groups to get to one hundred. there might be some third-party prog that could simplify this, although i havent seen one yet.

Actually this is my business phone and sometimes i need to get word out to all our clients at one time. i used to do it on my treo with this 3rd party program called group messaging but the closest thing to that i have found so far is called "3jam reply all message" which doesn't let you create groups

If palm has it their must be a program for blackberry as well to send out group texts? im sure it is a useful feature to many people.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I have a link on my PC for an app for group meesaging. I won't be able to get it till later, but I post it up when I can.

Not sure about the limitations on it though.

With BBs though I'm pretty sure there maybe limitations. I know its just not a good idea to SMS more than 30. You wouldn't be able to do much until all of the texts were sent.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    With BBs though I'm pretty sure there maybe limitations. I know its just not a good idea to SMS more than 30. You wouldn't be able to do much until all of the texts were sent.
    I agree heck even sending one SMS message is a hit or miss, you never really know if it arrived now how about 100 messages :S In the past we've recommended server products to clients wishing to accomplish the same thing.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    This was the application....

http://www.dizilife.com/pro_sms.html

It even recommends not to have more than 20.

I'm just curious why you're using SMS instead of email? Email is a lot more reliable and you don't have limitations. I'm pretty sure the mobile networks weren't designed for this mass texting.

Sorry for the bad news.

melodicbarriste no está en línea Stack level 2
    So if you can make a group of 13, would it be possible to place a group within another group? For example, you could have 13 contacts in "group 1", 13 more in "group 2", etc. up to 100, and then place "group 1", "group 2", etc within a larger group and send it out to the larger group. Not sure if this would work, though, as you may still be limited to 13 people and not 13 contacts.

The reason i use text messages rather than email is that I need to get immediate info to many people of which most don't have blackberries and don't necessarily check their email daily.
    Furthermore, when you email so many contacts at one time it is likely to end up in most peoples spam box.
    I actually realized from playing around with my bb that groups in blackberry are not limited so everything worked out in ht end.
    Thanks for all your help guys!

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    The reason i use text messages rather than email is that I need to get immediate info to many people of which most don't have blackberries and don't necessarily check their email daily.
    Furthermore, when you email so many contacts at one time it is likely to end up in most peoples spam box.
    I actually realized from playing around with my bb that groups in blackberry are not limited so everything worked out in ht end.
    Thanks for all your help guys!
    If its the messages are that important I definetly would not use SMS as its not guaranteed delivery...Its either hit or miss. If this is your only viable option I understand....

actualy people get them. I do some random checks people always receivem them when i check. it just takes the phone a long time to send otu so many as it does one at a time