More details soon, I'm on the road. Check the Faq section for more news updates. ... General Blackberry forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Thumbs up great news! RIM and NTP settles!

Advertisement

More details soon, I'm on the road. Check the Faq section for more news updates. Again RIM and NTP came to a settlement on the patent issues.

RIM & NTP Settle! - $612.5 Billion!

From RIM:

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM; TSX: RIM) and NTP, Inc. (NTP) today announced that they have signed a definitive licensing and settlement agreement. All terms of the agreement have been finalized and the litigation against RIM has been dismissed by a court order this afternoon. The agreement eliminates the need for any further court proceedings or decisions relating to damages or injunctive relief.

RIM has paid NTP $612.5 million in full and final settlement of all claims against RIM, as well as for a perpetual, fully-paid up license going forward. This amount includes money already escrowed by RIM to date.

The licensing and settlement agreement relates to all patents owned and controlled by NTP and covers all of RIM's products, services and technologies. NTP grants RIM an unfettered right to continue its business, including its BlackBerry® related business. The resolution permits RIM and its partners to sell RIM products and services completely free and clear of any claim by NTP, including any claims that NTP may have against wireless carriers, channel partners, suppliers or customers in relation to RIM products or services, (including BlackBerry Connect and Built-In technology), or in relation to third party products and services, to the extent they are used in connection with RIM products and services.

With respect to the accounting treatment of today's announced settlement of $612.5 million, RIM had previously accrued $450 million and the additional amount of $162.5 million will be recorded in Q4. RIM will report the full accounting details in its Q4 earnings report on April 6th.

As of November 26, 2005, RIM's total of cash, cash equivalents, short-term, long-term investments and escrow funds was approximately $1.8 billion.

As of November 26, 2005, RIM's outstanding common shares totalled approximately 185.1 million.

All amounts reported in US dollars.
    Last edited by hayden; 03-04-2006 at 11:07 AM.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: great news! RIM and NTP settles!

I know...My BB has been going crazy...I am getting Email alerts from CNN, ABC, BBC, etc...Its nuts...Good deal though...no more unknowns!

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Research In Motion Ltd., the maker of the BlackBerry e-mail device, Friday announced it has settled its long-running patent dispute with a small Virginia-based firm, averting a possible court-ordered shutdown of the BlackBerry system.

RIM has paid NTP $612.5 million in a "full and final settlement of all claims," the companies said.

Settlement ends Blackberry patent suit, click here.

We can all sleep well tonight.
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

I was never worried :unsure: ....

ml320 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    pm 4 pin

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23
    I was never worried :unsure: ....
    You sure about that ;-) but im glad it is over

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Took long enough, sheesh... lol.

Now I think RIM can innovate more again; without spending all day with lawsuits.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

It's a relief. But a little bittersweet. Then again, like I was saying all along, that's only a couple of dollars per Blackberry user.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I am glad its over, but I think a settlement is just wrong. I guess sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, right or wrong.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

At least I feel that RIM is looking out for us, and not being stubborn and selfish. I like that in a company.