Hi, I've had Google Maps 2.3.2 installed for a while now, and have been having ... General Blackberry forum

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616

Google Maps memory leak?

Advertisement

Hi,

I've had Google Maps 2.3.2 installed for a while now, and have been having memory leaks like crazy. For example, yesterday morning I was around 19MB free. After using Google Maps yesterday for about 1/2 hour, I was down to around 12MB. Overnight, it dropped to 10MB.

I did a soft reset which didn't help with memory, maybe going to 12MB. I did a battery pull with the same result.

In GM, I did "clear" and exited prior to the restarts. No help.

I just deleted GM, which required a restart. I'm now at 19.6MB free.

What gives?

Thanks.

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    What os are you running?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    When you finish using google maps are you pressing the menu button and scrolling to exit or just escaping out?

Zo

donnyd no está en línea Stack level 1
    i tried downloading google maps on my bb bold v2.3.2, when i open it all it does is freeze up when loading. any ideas???

Blkbear no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24838a6c
    Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post
    Hi,

I've had Google Maps 2.3.2 installed for a while now, and have been having memory leaks like crazy. For example, yesterday morning I was around 19MB free. After using Google Maps yesterday for about 1/2 hour, I was down to around 12MB. Overnight, it dropped to 10MB.

I did a soft reset which didn't help with memory, maybe going to 12MB. I did a battery pull with the same result.

In GM, I did "clear" and exited prior to the restarts. No help.
    When you say you did "clear", does this mean you cleared the map, or went to HELP and scrolled down to Reset Google Maps? Two VERY different things with two VERY different results.

If you just CLEAR the map, all you are doing is removing any favorites and labels that you added to the map.

If you RESET GM, then what you have done is cleared (deleted actually), all the GM caches, downloaded maps and other data from your session(s) of using the GM app. Which over time can be a lot of data.

Hopefully in later editions to the app, they will allow for saving this data to the media card, (at least the favorties), so you can pull them up as needed, or be used between updates of the program. Or allow you to draw on your Web based GM favorites and saved maps.
    Da Bear

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Good info. Thanks. So, is reset GM is the best way to clear all of this data out? Just like I would clear out cache and history in my browser?

Quote Originally Posted by Blkbear View Post
    When you say you did "clear", does this mean you cleared the map, or went to HELP and scrolled down to Reset Google Maps? Two VERY different things with two VERY different results.

If you just CLEAR the map, all you are doing is removing any favorites and labels that you added to the map.

If you RESET GM, then what you have done is cleared (deleted actually), all the GM caches, downloaded maps and other data from your session(s) of using the GM app. Which over time can be a lot of data.

Hopefully in later editions to the app, they will allow for saving this data to the media card, (at least the favorties), so you can pull them up as needed, or be used between updates of the program. Or allow you to draw on your Web based GM favorites and saved maps.
    Last edited by walds11; 11-15-2008 at 05:31 AM.

I just downloaded the latest version 2.3.2. Dang, memory leak galore. I plan on going back to the prior version. Can I delete this version and downloan the prior version from my DM?

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by volscian View Post
    What os are you running?

I was on 4.5.0.81 until 3-4 days ago. Was having the same issues with it. I'm on 4.5.0.102 (beta) right now. Same issues.

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    When you finish using google maps are you pressing the menu button and scrolling to exit or just escaping out?

Zo

Menu, then exit.

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkbear View Post

I was using "clear" in the menu. I didn't see a "reset google maps" option...

hmmm..... interesting!

Version 2.3.2 is horrible, a total memory burner. Is there any way I can go back to the version that I last had? Can I do that through my DM? Help!