I know this is old, but i have just found out about this, i am ... General Blackberry forum

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Google Android

Advertisement

I know this is old, but i have just found out about this, i am really exited as 4.5 is pretty disapointing when it comes to os. And scence android is linux, it is fully customizable and will have support for freeware apps, many of which bb os does not offer!

reffer: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/21596
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Linux on my BB....YES!!
    altho i do like the ease of Java, but i've been using Linux for oooo ..5/6years now.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    I am very exited, i have seen it run on limited devices with 65 mb ram and rom with crappy old processor, moto i believe, and it was actually fantastic. I am exited for the release of this! I love some free apps for berry such as viigo, but i am very disapointed with the rest, even the new os 4.6 has new theme and a few os changes, some graphical transitions added and thats it. All of the small updates to the mobile os are getting lame, my moms 8700 and my device function practicly the same. As far as i see it, at this rate blackberry os will be the new palm.
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    http://androidguys.com/ keep up to date
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam View Post
    many of which bb os does not offer!
    Yet.

There was talk (http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=71334) on this forum earlier about the possibility of an Android runtime for the BlackBerry, and what sorts of compilers would need to be written for that to happen. The necessary compiler is nearly complete.

Once Google releases the source code to the remaining Android components (Dalvik VM, and the remaining libraries), it would take a couple of weeks to port it to the BlackBerry. If so, we will be running Android applications on the BlackBerry about the same time Android native devices are available to mere mortals.

The BlackBerry 8xxx generation devices (excluding the 8700 series) are a bit weaker on the processing side than the prototype Android devices that Google is showing off. PXA901 series CPU at 312 MHz, 32 MB of RAM, 64 MB onboard flash compared to the Qualcomm MSM7201A processor at 528 MHz, 128MB of RAM, 256MB of flash on the HTC Dream used to demo Android at I/O.

The BB Android Runtime will require a microSD card in the 8xxx series devices, which will be used to store the libraries, system files, and Android programs. The 9000 series devices should be more than capable of running the runtime though, and those are the primary targets for the release.

Still a lot of work ahead.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I am aware of the processor used on htc, but I have seen another older device that ran the program fairly well, it was a funky looking orange phone! I am fairly exited to run android natevly on the device, as so far I am not impressed with the os inovativeness, it is kinda sad, as good as it is, the iphone two firmware has a lot of things that berry does not have!

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, there is some additional interpreter overhead on the BlackBerry, since there is no way to execute native machine instructions, so the extra 96 Mhz on the Bold will probably be well utilized. Almost all of Android runs through Google's specially designed Dalvik VM (which is designed to be super efficient in execution). In the case of the BlackBerry port, the Dalvik VM will be running on top of the BlackBerry JVM. There is no way to know how significant that overhead will be.

But yes, Android is theoretically designed to run on mobile processors down to 200 Mhz... native code execution. We'll see how it runs on the 312 Mhz PXA's in the 8xxx series BlackBerries.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well put, the extra 100mhz should be used wisely

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    It will be quite remarkable if such a VM-on-VM turns out to be efficient enough to
    be competitive.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Put this on a bold..."Now we're cooking with gas"

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    meh.