Hey all. Have spent a good chunk of the weekend going Microsoft-free. I bought a ... General Blackberry forum

jbischke no está en línea Stack level 1

Going Microsoft-free - My experience and questions

Advertisement

Hey all. Have spent a good chunk of the weekend going Microsoft-free. I bought a MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago and have been slowly jettisoning MS products. Here's what I'm currently running:

-Blackberry 8703e on Verizon
    -GMail for e-mail and contacts (use hosted e-mail through Google Apps)
    -Google Calendar (I love that I can SMS events to my calendar!)
    -GooToDo for my GTD/to-do lists (I love being able to e-mail myself a to-do item)

For the most part I'm loving this set-up and it is helping to free me up from my desktop which I dig. Just a couple questions though:

#1 - Synching GMail contacts and Google calendar to Blackberry - Any suggestions here? UI is the big issue here as I can get to my GContacts and GCal through my BB but the interface is bad. I love the BB interface. Synching would be hot but I'm not sure how to best do this. Suggestions?

#2 - Access non-gmail.com domains through the GMail app - I realize this is more a GMail question than a Blackberry question but I'm guessing others are probably having problems here too. I'm going to send off an e-mail to GSupport but if anyone has any suggestions for how I can do this I would appreciate them.

A few more bumps to iron out here and I think I should be 100% Microsoft-free for the first time in my life.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Going Microsoft-free - My experience and questions

I am not too keen on gmail, I am going to bump this for you

jbischke no está en línea Stack level 1

I figured out #2. There's a different version of GMail Mobile for Apps. I think it's http://m.gmail.com/a for the URL. Works like a charm and I love having e-mail synched between my handheld and desktop for the first time in my life!

Now, I'm just trying to figure out a good way to access my GMail contacts and Google Calendar through my BB. I gotta imagine this will be coming soon but in the meantime it's a bit of a PITA.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Microsoft isn't the evil empire, they just make the best products...good luck with mac, you will probably go back to a PC. :-/

If you really wanted to ecape a big company like Microsoft, then apple isnt the choice, you shold have got to novell, redhat or another linux or unix company....

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboom
    Microsoft isn't the evil empire, they just make the best products
    Better products, not in my experience, most widely used and maybe supported, yes. Best products, no. I've found more bugs in Word than an entire linux installation. I completely agree going microsoft free. I love the idea and certainly plan to return to that idea with my next box.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Microsoft isn't the evil empire, they just make the best products...
    Someone needs to put down the MS Kool Aid...

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Personally, I think we need to stick tothe topic. This is a lackberry forum, not a software bashing forum.

Maybe there are others out there who would like to know how to synch to Google Calendar and Google Contacts. We aren't going to get there by bashing Microsoft.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Microsoft isn't the evil empire, they just make the best products...good luck with mac, you will probably go back to a PC. :-/
    I changed to Mac back in 2000. I still have the original iMac as it works as good as day one, and now I have a MacBook also. Seven years and not looking back. That being said, it is purely a personal choice and I know people who are happy with MS. Most of them have never tried a Mac though.