Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which is better to use to sync with a Blackberry for calendar, address book, email, ... General Blackberry forum

TheHotCops no está en línea Stack level 1

Gmail vs. Outlook

Advertisement

Which is better to use to sync with a Blackberry for calendar, address book, email, and tasks: Gmail or Outlook?

I should note that I use Gmail already for my email client. However, I don't know if Gmail could sync my address book or a task list with a Blackberry.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TheHotCops; 03-26-2008 at 04:57 AM.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    As far as I know all the Gmail <> Blackberry sync tools are unreliable/unpredictable (except email). If you set up your BB to collect email from your Gmail account it will usually (and automatically) use a 'special' RIM to Google connection which is mostly reliable and mostly does push (instant, not polled) email to your BB. This isn't bad considering GMail is still, officially, a service that's not fully released (still in beta).

I sync 3 Google Apps hosted domains on my BB (Email) and it works reliably enough for me. I don't use Google Calendar or other apps at all, instead syncing with Outlook via the Blackberry Desktop Mangler.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I've tried the Google --> BlackBerry sync and found it somewhat of a pain. It's not overly customizable and it seems that, as wibbly pointed out, it's not reliable. I've not tried their mail sync, but have heard numerous good things about it.

Outlook on the other hand, once setup, syncs very well. Since my company uses outlook for all contact / calender management, I find it rather convenient too. Setup can be tricky as Desktop Manager isn't always intuitive. For instance, I had to downgrade from the latest to get reoccurring appointments to sync correctly. However, once it's working, it seems rock solid.

Just my experience. If you do decide to try Google, let us know how it goes!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't think you can sync email via Desktop Manager anyway. Email has to be synced via a Internet based mail service (like Google) or with your company email system (which will use another RIM product called a BES, installed by your company). Either way, email sync happens over the air - the whole point of a Blackberry ;-).

If your company is using a BES, Tasks, Calendar, Contacts, etc also sync over the air, and Desktop Manager doesn't have to be used at all.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    That's correct. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

For a BIS
    Outlook sync via Desktop Manager doesn't do mail. Mail should always be done OTA (over the air) via either you username@carrier.blackberry.net account or any other account you have setup via BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) login. GMail supposedly works good for this. Desktop manager will sync Contacts, Calender Entries, Tasks and Memos.

For a BES
    All of your outlook stuff (Tasks, Calendar, Contacts, etc..) will sync OTA through your companies servers. If you're on a BES, you usually cannot use your own e-mail, calender etc... as this ability is locked down most of the time (not all the time. Depends on the companies policies).

Hopefully this is now clear as mud?
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHotCops View Post
    Which is better to use to sync with a Blackberry for calendar, address book, email, and tasks: Gmail or Outlook?

I should note that I use Gmail already for my email client. However, I don't know if Gmail could sync my address book or a task list with a Blackberry.

Thanks.
    -------
    I too use Gmail & sync that OTA (over the air).
    Then for everthing else you listed I use Outlook & here's why.
    I prefer to have all my contacts, calendar, tasks etc available to me quickly and at all times. Thereby not having to rely on a web connection. Especially since it's mission critical for work. Thus I use Outlook with 100% reliabilty & great speed. Also when it comes time to sync it with my laptop, it is super fast & reliable.

I tried Google with a few personal contacts just for kicks & it was dreadful.

For years before getting my BlackBerry I used nearly every brand and combination of smart phone & contact manager, none of which worked well or reliably. Now with my BB and Outlook I finally have what I was looking for, a great device that syncs Outlook perfectly.

BlackBerry by RIM
    Simply Brilliant!

via RedBerry *8310*

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Lightbulb

I'd say it's a matter of one's choice!

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    you could always just setup your gmail account into outlook and then do syncing that way. especially when blackberry unite software is released in the states you will be able to wireless sync of that PIM data

JayC33 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    you could always just setup your gmail account into outlook and then do syncing that way. especially when blackberry unite software is released in the states you will be able to wireless sync of that PIM data
    I saw this on another forum, could this be used with your suggestion to handle the ota sync to the bb?

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I like the idea of the gmail calander sync. But I kept getting double entree's on my bb calander. I depend on my calander way to much to have it all jacked up all the time.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Quote Originally Posted by JayC33 View Post
    I saw this on another forum, could this be used with your suggestion to handle the ota sync to the bb?
    yes blackberry unite software is designed for the individual user who wants the BES functionality. it truely is every blackberry owners dream. it has wireless sync of all PIM data, remote wipe, and complete integration for up to 5 blackberry devices. i believe its being beta tested in europe right now.

JayC33 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Sorry I meant that I saw this http://www.thinkpost.net/index.php?p=index&area=1 on another forum, some how the link didn't take. My apologies.
    Last edited by JayC33; 04-01-2008 at 07:48 PM.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    ok thinkpost is just a hosting service. you could configure your outlook account with them and do wireless PIM sync

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    I like the idea of the gmail calander sync. But I kept getting double entree's on my bb calander. I depend on my calander way to much to have it all jacked up all the time.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    -------
    Precisely !

I'm with you. My calendar & other work is far too important!
    Especially when I can manage it quickly & easily between my laptop & BB without having to rely on a website or other service.

via BlackBerry Curve by RIM
    Simply Brilliant!

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    somewhere your filters may not be setup right. gmail sync should work without getting dupes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast