I have been using Gmail's email client for my Blackberry Curve 8130. I recently realized ... General Blackberry forum

atsatsats no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Gmail attachments eating up my device memory - how do I purge?

Advertisement

I have been using Gmail's email client for my Blackberry Curve 8130. I recently realized that each time I open an attachment through the Gmail client (including large .jpgs etc), it saves to somewhere on my device -- my memory is down to just 461176 bytes left.

My problem is that I don't know where the files are saving so I can't purge them to reclaim my device memory. My device has started deleting my emails and call logs because of the memory problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    I dont know about it saving onto your berry. i know that it loaded the entire mailbox when you refresh. but i just go into my all mail and start deleting everything and it normally works like that.
    i havent lost any device memory .. .

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack, atsatsats!

Not sure it actually saves the attachments to the device, but are you saving the e-mails themselves? That would explain the memory loss.

I was getting pretty low on my free file space as well, and did an upgrade to the latest v4.2 release (which you'll find pinned at the top of this topic).

You should also clear out any unused applications, themes, ringtones, etc as well as your call log and event log.

To clear your event log, hold the left Alt key, then type L, G, L, G. This brings up the event log where you'll push the BB menu button and select Clear Log.

To clear your call log, go into any message folder and press the BB menu key, select View Folder, scroll down to Phone Call Logs and select, then at the top, press the BB menu button and select Delete Prior.

Sorry, I thought we were in the 8300/8310 thread. The latest OS are pinned at the top of that topic.

Here's a great post from another Stacker, reddog regarding the steps to take in keeping your device memory from getting low:

Try these steps. Not in any certain order.

Closing Open Applications
    ALT+Escape/Back Key
    Make sure you haven't left applications open.
    There should be 5 applications that are always open.
    Default 5: Phone, BBmessanger, Browers, Homescreen, and Call Log
    You may have other 3rd party applications that may have to run in the background, but most can be closed.

Auto Delete ON/OFF
    Under Messages:
    Select Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Options
    Select General Options
    Keep Messages: (Shortest is 15 Days, Longest is Forever)

Battery Pull
    Pull out battery and leave out for 30 Seconds.
    (I do this at least once a week) Just for safety and memory leaks.

Check How much free memory you have
    Options -> Status -> File Free: XXXXXXXX Bytes
    Make sure it's not low.

Clear Event Log
    Press ALT + LGLG
    Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Clear Log

Clear Browser Content Cache
    Open up your Browser
    Menu
    Options
    Cache Operations
    Clear Content Cache

Delete unwanted Applications to free up Device Memory
    By using your Desktop Manager, and Application Loader
    uncheck unwanted Applications also unused Language Packs

Update your OS
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rade_your.html
    This is a link to a list of Blackberry OS by carrier.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/3311-blackberry_os_software_links_carrier.html
    Remember that OS's are not carrier specific, and you can use any OS from any carrier as long as it's for your model of phone. Do this at your own risk. If you have to return it at anytime you may void your warranty. You can always reload your carriers version, but that's a whole other process. IF you do use another carriers OS remember to delete the vendor.xml file located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\(your current OS) after installing the OS and before plugging in your BB.

*Most importantly if you have been storing Media on your phone without a Media Card. I would suggest getting one. Remember you only have 64mb of phone memory and the OS will take up about 20mb. So you're working with only 40mb of free space! That's nothing.
    BUY A MicroSD card!!! OS 1.103 supports 4GB now!! Hooray!!
    If you need help inserting it go here; http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rosd_chip.html

I hope this helps everyone. If I'm missing any other tips let me know I'll edit it.

*another explaination

RIM has identified a design problem with the way that controls within the media application have been implemented. In the media options ("Media Application" > Pick an application such as Pictures > [BlackBerry Menu Key] > "Options") there are two settings:

“Reserved Pictures Memory” – Default Value = 10 MB – This setting reserves memory for Pictures that the customer may take. It blocks off the memory, reducing the “File Free” amount that displays in “Options” > “Status”. This guarantees that the customer will have memory available and will not overwrite email messages within the memory setting set.

“Device Memory Limit” – Default Value = 20 MB – This setting is a safety water mark. It prevents the customer from placing more than the specified amount of memory in their content store (pictures, ringtones, music, etc.. in device memory)

The implementation problem with these settings is that the “Reserved Pictures Memory” setting does not prevent the customer from going beyond the specified amount of memory. That is to say, if the customer has it set to the default value of 10MB, they are not prevented from taking 15MB of pictures for example. The only setting that will limit them is the “Device Memory Limit” setting.

The 20MB default value for this setting is a bit high as typically after loading the handheld software, the memory available is about 20MB. If the customer has a number of contacts, calendar entries, tasks, memopad items, emails, etc… they could have less than 20MB available. This means, with the default settings, the customer could fill their content store to the point that Low Memory Manager activates in an attempt to free up new space by deleting emails and call logs. If approached by a customer in this situation, please recommend that they reduce the “Device Memory Limit” setting to it’s lowest value of 12MB. It is recognized that even this value is high, and the values (including the defaults) are being adjusted in future releases of handheld software.

================================================== ========

Having a large amount of images, ringtones and or games stored in the device may reduce available free memory. If the BlackBerry Pearl's memory is at or near capacity the handheld will begin to delete the oldest Call Log and Text Message (SMS) entries in an effort to free up memory space. In order to prevent this, free memory must be increased.
    NOTE: Saved messages will not be deleted.

atsatsats no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the responses! Clearing the event log opened up a ton of memory, thanks so much.

More newbie questions: is there any way to delete some of the preloaded applications that I never use (like MediaNet, Music ID, TeleNav)? These don't show up on my application list where I was able to delete other applications.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Quote Originally Posted by atsatsats View Post
    More newbie questions: is there any way to delete some of the preloaded applications that I never use (like MediaNet, Music ID, TeleNav)? These don't show up on my application list where I was able to delete other applications.
    Are you setup on a BIS or BES. ? Just asking cause if these icons/applications are related to a Service book they will just reappear.
    you can just hide the icon itself if you cant delete.

Quote Originally Posted by atsatsats View Post
    Thanks for the responses! Clearing the event log opened up a ton of memory, thanks so much.

You're welcome!

Some applications would have to be removed through the Desktop Manager. Do you use DM to sync your device with Outlook?

If you plan on upgrading your device OS, you could delete this applications then. You don't even need to upgrade to do this either......a clean install of your current OS would probably free up some memory as well.

1. Go to your carrier's web site and download the most current version of your OS available.
    2. If you don't already have it, you should also download the most current version of Desktop Manager, which is v4.3 I believe off the BlackBerry.com site.
    3. Go to c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and find and delete the vendor.xml file. This flags the DM to prompt for an install, whether it's a newer OS or a fresh install of your current OS.
    4. Plug your device into the USB port and launch the DM. You should then be prompted to install and just follow the rest of the instructions. You will definitely went to choose the option to back up your device data at the beginning! This is also the point where you would pick and choose what to re-install on the device.

This process can take up to an hour or more, but in most cases, should take about a 1/2 hour.

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends
    THERE is a new os for the 8130 4.3.0.127,that one of the issues the new os helps
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by VETT98 View Post
    THERE is a new os for the 8130 4.3.0.127,that one of the issues the new os helps
    He typo'd in his first post. Said he has an 8130 Curve.

Got the two middle numbers mixed up!

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    He typo'd in his first post. Said he has an 8130 Curve.

Got the two middle numbers mixed up!
    Ooo i see thanks for heads up
    Mike