Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617

Originally Posted by darryl71 how long would you suggest someone can loan the device? what ... General Blackberry forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by darryl71 View Post
    how long would you suggest someone can loan the device? what happens if they don't return the device? Might be easier to just let them keep the device if they make a $50 contribution to the Repository Fund or something... maybe to charity...

These devices were going to be donations.. all might depend on how many devices are collected.... hmmm
    Well think of it this way. I got enough donations to have to "only" spend 150$ out of my own pocket which is the most i could gather at this time.
    Why dont we do something like that ? 50$ seems to low in my opinion as that is what i was going to get out my pocket at first then realized how low it was and gathered 150 instead.
    100 or 150 is better and from there, everytime somebody _trustworthy_ is in need, instead of donating, well send her/him a device pending a 100$ or 150$ deposit in the repo bank so that we can buy another device to give back.
    If we end up not needing the money, itll all go to charity and make a lot of kids happy.
    Yeah ?

Btw guys ... waking up to a BB : HEAVEN
    Last edited by ranxoren; 02-06-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    I like where this is going and i also like ganns' idea about one trusted member that has proven her/his worth to vouch for somebody in need.
    I can handle the Canadian repository as I always ship devices to stackers be it in Toronto, Las Vegas, New York, Barbados, Calgary etc..
    Let me know how you guys want to do this I'm ALL up for giving back and I will try to get a BB asap to throw in the repo so I can give back (let me see what i can do by the end of this month or the one after - hopefully a 4.6 device like the flip).
    You take the east, I'll take the west. Speeds up delivery time without the need of high priced overnight delivery.

We would need a couple of folks to handle the US.

Instead of beating the heck out of the Stacks, we should get some people together and do a conference call once we figure out what to do. There are lots of good ideas being tossed around.

I don't like the idea of charging or requiring more money than perhaps enough to cover shipping and handling, but would entertain the repository choosing a charity to support with a quarterly or semi annual donation of any funds left over.

I have a TONNE of webspace sitting around rotting, on several servers, so everything could be done privately, rather than the public spectacle we made of Ranx.

I am on a business trip. I will be home LATE tonight. I will chat with Ranx and a few others about this over the weekend and we can figure out how it will work.

Heck, even if someone is looking for a CHEAP berry, we could take old devices as a donation, and then charge a reasonable amount for them. Shipping and handling comes off the top and all the rest goes to our chosen charity. Then there is never any humming and hawing about people taking advantage, cuz the kids (charities) would be benefitting regardless.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 02-06-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Well think of it this way. I got enough donations to have to "only" spend 150$ out of my own pocket which is the most i could gather at this time.
    Why dont we do something like that ? 50$ seems to low in my opinion as that is what i was going to get out my pocket at first then realized how low it was and gathered 150 instead.
    100 or 150 is better and from there, everytime somebody _trustworthy_ is in need, instead of donating, well send her/him a device pending a 100$ or 150$ deposit in the repo bank so that we can buy another device to give back.
    If we end up not needing the money, itll all go to charity and make a lot of kids happy.
    Yeah ?

Btw guys ... waking up to a BB : HEAVEN
    So if I were to lose my bb (God forbid!) and I was a member with enough trustworthyness, I could contact someone, get a bb, and pay back $100 or $150? Just wanna make sure I'm reading it right. That would make sense - if I had the $150 at the time, I could just go get a used one.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I'm in....just let me know what I can do...I am on the West Coast....Los Angeles so I can help the West Coast...

I also get ATT, Verizon BB's that are turned in all the time from users who leave or upgrade...I like to keep them around for emergencies.....Dotn have any right now...but will soon and I can send them out for loan when I have them
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

I'm in Ohio, if you guys decided you could use my help. And I do believe there's one person here on the stacks who would vouch for me.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Yeah forget my idea i like Sithinks' better.
    Definitely, i can handle the Canadian East Coast no worries there.

But how do i go about proving my worth and trustworthiness ? lol

lol @ ranx - start by hopping on one foot while spinning around 3 times clucking like a chicken - put on YouTube of course.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    And if you fall over, you have to start over again.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ~via smartphone~

Hehe... Ranx, you crack me up. There are some legalities and logistics involved in this. Fortunately, I am in the business of logistics and I happen to have a child who owes me big time for her fancy law degree...

We need to be organized. If the principle purpose of this endeavour is to raise money for charity while providing a service, we will need to provide receipts to those DONATING devices. This requires registering in both the U.S. And Canada as a charitable organization.

We will further need an impromptu BoD to manage the resources, be they devices or monies. We also need the BoD to agree upon charities to support. I am thinking a control group of 5 people. This is important due to the cash nature of the transactions.

I will throw together an impromptu website (blog-based) this weekend. We can hash it all out there.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    "Heck, even if someone is looking for a CHEAP berry, we could take old devices as a donation, and then charge a reasonable amount for them. Shipping and handling comes off the top and all the rest goes to our chosen charity. Then there is never any humming and hawing about people taking advantage, cuz the kids (charities) would be benefitting regardless." Sir Thinks

I was assuming that these would be the older devices that people left behind when they upgraded to a 4.6 device. The 83xx's, the 81xx's that are not in use and basically holding down paper. Ones that they dont want or need, and are willing to donate.

Not sure what the $100-$150 plan is.
    1. Lose Phone
    2. Ensure your trust level is good
    3. Request Device
    4. Pay err... donate $150ish
    5. Receive old device or new device that is unlocked
    6. Person scrapes up enough to buy a new phone from their Carrier
    7. Person Returns phone
    8. Person is reimbursed donation less shipping cost from respository

Is that what we are thinkin?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    So I just want to thank you everybody for gathering and helping me in a time of need. The value of friendship has been redefined over the past couple days right here on Pinstack.
    Ive always known that people around here were geniunely nice and would help out a fellow stacker but i never knew to what extent. I am now chocked and happy to be the owner of a brand new 8900 thanks to you all.
    As Sirthinks told me, out of my bad came out some good as we will try to setup this BB emergency repository for the future.

Again thanks everybody, my worst nightmare became reality and thanks to the stackers it only lasted two days ...

Thanks again everybody. Love you all !!!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617