I need to add another line and phone to my growing "family". In my area, ... General Blackberry forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

Question General Phone and Carrier Request

I need to add another line and phone to my growing "family". In my area, T-Mobile and Verizon are both solid carriers/signals so neither compaies will give me much issue. I wouldprobably get a Curve on either carrier and here are a few ?s:

1. Does VZW really disable the GPS in their Curve?

2. One Curv has wi-fi, the other GPS...Which is more desirable?

3. Does the GSM vs. CDMA issue really amountto much as I do not travel internationally too often?

I also heard that VZW CS is now ranked No. 1 in the USA, surpassing T-Mo. I'm into getting help when I need it.

4. I notice that VZW plans are a bit more expensive than other carrier's similar plans for unlimited Blackberry, voice, etc. Last I checked, it was over $20 more than T-Mobile's.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I can only answer #2 because i am in Canada so here goes.

There is two way of seeing it.

1- You can think okay Ill get the Wifi one (8320) over the GPS one (8310) because with the 8320 i have built in wifi and i can alway just buy a keychain GPS puck and bam i have both.

2- Or you can see it the other way : Ill get the 8310 because I dont need Wifi as i have an unlimited BIS plan and I wont need to carry around a GPS puck and Ill be able to use the A-GPS (not sure if you can with the 8320 and a GPS puck).

There you go
    Comes down to what YOU prefer i find.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    I need to add another line and phone to my growing "family". In my area, T-Mobile and Verizon are both solid carriers/signals so neither companies will give me much issue. I would probably get a Curve on either carrier
    Greetings terrapin !

My Carriers are AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. I have and 8310 with AT&T , and an 8320 with T-Mobile

In response to your questions:

1) I don't know if VZW disables GPS

2) Even though my 8310 has GPS, I greatly prefer Google Maps which uses triangulation, is fast, is accurate and its free. I loaded it on my 8320 Curve from T-Mobile and I have the best of both worlds.

3) In general I prefer a GSM phone by a wide margin over CDMA.
    As I'm sure you know, GSM phones use a sim chip, and may be easily unlocked if at some time you wanted to switch carriers. Also the sim chip will store your names and numbers. You can remove it and put it in another GSM phone and not have to reprogram your numbers.

As you pointed out, T-Mobile's rates are less than Verizon. Personally I would buy the 8320 from T-Mobile, as that is my favorite phone that quite frankly I could use for a long time. Especially if I was going to have just one BB , that would be the one hands down. I've had a lot of BlackBerry's and the Curve 83xx series is hands down my favorite. Rarely do I use the same BB as my primary BB for much longer than three or four months as I'm always trying out new and different BB models that I have. However in the past year I set a personal record by using my 83xx Curves for the entire year. I highly endorse the 8320, and T-Mobile. You can't go wrong, and I feel very certain that you will be a satisfied customer.

Finally, when I signed up with T-Mobile I bought the 8320, negotiated with them to throw in basic free phone. I keep that as a spare, so if anything happens to my BB, I can remove the sim chip, pop it into my spare phone and not be left high and dry. Another nice feature of GSM phones.

Cheers...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    I can only answer #2 because i am in Canada so here goes.
    Sheesh! For being in Canada, you are good at following me around, oops I mean I'm good at following you around as we post....LMAO.

Cheers and nice work!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Sheesh! For being in Canada, you are good at following me around, oops I mean I'm good at following you around as we post....LMAO.

Cheers and nice work!
    haha well as its been said "were a pair" haha

gixxerjoe no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    If both verizon and T-mobile both have good voice coverage in your area, for me it would come down to data. I belive Verizon would be able to offer you faster data in more places then T-mobile. Yes you do have wifi that's makes up for it but you are limited to where a hotspot is availble. Fast data to me is really important and I want it everywhere I am. Just my 2 cents~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    haha well as its been said "were a pair" haha
    Awww. What am I chopped liver?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    Awww. What am I chopped liver?
    Sounds to me more like chopped spam...yuck!!!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    These types of questions are always difficult -- there are so many opinions regarding carriers. You've gotten good responses so far, but let me add my $0.02.

1. Verizon is notorious for locking out the GPS on their devices which forces the user to pay an additional fee for VZ Navigator (i think that's what it's called). Not 100% sure they do that with the Curve, but last I heard they did.

2. WIFI vs. GPS is also a matter of usage style. I don't use my device for heavy web browsing -- mainly as an e-mail / text message device. For this type of usage, I really don't need WIFI. Frankly, if I'm at a WIFI hotspot, I'm going to pull out my laptop as it is much nicer to browse the web on a full sized screen. On the other hand, I use my GPS for everything. While triangulation works okay through Google Maps, in larger cities with roads close together, the triangulation has given me problems. The GPS is dead accurate and I really like it. Therefore, for my uses, I got the 8310 with the GPS.

3. CDMA vs. GSM is another personal preference. I wouldn't really worry too much about it for general use. However, I really like having GSM as it allows me to switch devices with relatively little effort. Just pop a sim in the new device and go. Also great as I have a spare flip phone that I use when I'm out in the woods or in really rough conditions. I figure I may not have email but if I ruin the phone, I'm not without my Berry! This really boils down to which service provider will give you better service.

4. Price, to me, is secondary to service. And I don't mean customer service. While that's important, having cell coverage is paramount to owning a cell device.

Overall, Verizon is supposed to have the largest 3G deployment, ATT second and T-Mobile a far third. However, this varies widely by region and is constantly changing. Also, since none of the phones you're listing are 3G, it really comes down to who has the best regular service in your area. For me ATT was the only way to go as they were the only ones who have coverage at my home.

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    danke all...