Hey all. I'm just curious... Why can't blackberries game like the iPod touch/iPhone can? Is ... General Blackberry forum

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3

gaming question

Advertisement

Hey all. I'm just curious... Why can't blackberries game like the iPod touch/iPhone can? Is it lack of developers caring to produce for the 'berry, or lack of processing power from the bb's themselves? I guess what I'm sayin is why am I playin "tank ace" that looks like a shoebox drivin across some crappy astro-turf while my buddies get to play games that look as good as any I can play on the web on my laptop? These screens have decently high resolution, so why don't the games available capitalize?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Mouse,

My theory is that the Blackberry was originally designed for business, not games. I think RIM is catching up to the popularity of the Blackberry in the "market place" by adding a lot of new features to their new products but they're behind in the game category: functions and applications.

iPhone had the advantage of realizing the popularity of the smart phone and going directly after the general consumer, who loves games, and made that a big part of their design, marketing and success. You have to give them credit for their successful marketing program.

That's just an opinion.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I totally understand that the bb is a business powerhouse first and the gaming is coming and I respect that. That's where RIM got their footing so why abandon their business consumers. I was just wondering which half of BB's operation had to catch up. Hardware, software, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman225 View Post
    I totally understand that the bb is a business powerhouse first and the gaming is coming and I respect that. That's where RIM got their footing so why abandon their business consumers. I was just wondering which half of BB's operation had to catch up. Hardware, software, or both?
    Good question and it'll be interesting to see how all this "shakes out." I don't feel like they're abandoning their business consumers- many of the applications are still business oriented. Also remember that BB's push email was, and IMO still is, the "king" of smart phone functions even tho others are doing it now too.

My question is, can they continue to satisfy the needs of their business customers and compete with all the other new smart phones being developed? There are now other makers who are starting to compete with both BB and iPhone.

Personally, I'd like to see RIM continue to develop for the business folks with an emphasis on internet access feature improvements rather than gaming. Applications Games, movies, etc, on a BB are "idle" time activities. I may not be normal but I have less idle time than ever and, when I do, I find myself checking emails and/or browsing the internet for something useful to me.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

All good points. We will see I suppose.

I don't know if they're good points or not, Mouse. We all want things to go OUR way - it's just how I see it. Everyone's opinion is important.

Agreed. I value many different viewpoints and opinions which is why I like to discuss topics on these forums. I hope more people do comment on this post. I love new ideas, so I'm ready to hear them! Hardware or software (entertainment/gaming-wise), what needs work in your opinion?

rajafarhan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F44149
    Good quality games should be a plus for our business needs

Quote Originally Posted by rajafarhan View Post
    Good quality games should be a plus for our business needs
    No offense but I need to have it explained to me how games fit into any business application unless it's a "gaming" business.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think that was a joke, jblackfish. At least I liked it.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    I think that was a joke, jblackfish. At least I liked it.
    Right, I missed the wink - silly me.