Hi, Great forums! I will be getting rid of my Treo 700P in the next ... General Blackberry forum

junior_79 no está en línea Stack level 1

From Palm to BlackBerry--Please Help

Advertisement

Hi,
    Great forums! I will be getting rid of my Treo 700P in the next week or so--finally fed up with crappy hardware & software from Palm. I'll be getting the BlackBerry 8830 and I have a few beginner questions:

1. I currently use the Palm Desktop software to manage contact information, appointments, tasks, etc. Does BlackBerry offer a similar program to add and edit data from your desktop and then have it synchronized to your device?

2. This is related to my first question: if the software mentioned above does exist, is it compatible with Windows Vista? My current version of Palm Desktop is not compatible, except for synchronization--but does not allow for adding or editing of data--it's a pain in the a#*&!

3. I happen to have 3,000+ contacts stored in my Treo--are there any solutions that would allow me to transfer these contacts to my new BlackBerry (trying to avoid carpal tunnel, seriously) without entering them individually?

4. Final question. Can the BlackBerry 8800/8830 be used as a navigation system? I frequently use TomTom navigation software along with a bluetooth GPS receiver to get turn-by-turn directions to client appointments. Is there a comparable solution available for the 8800/8830?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to share their knowledge and answer some or all of my questions.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: From Palm to BlackBerry--Please Help

hey junior, welcome to the stacks

1) nope...bummer, huh? bb doesn't have thier own
    2) desktop manager (which isn't exactly the same as the palm desktop software) is vista compatible and should be downloaded from RIM directly because they have issued a SP specifically for vista
    3) im pretty sure you can transfer PIM data thru desktop manager (haven't ever done it myself)...just can't edit it
    4) yes on the 8800 - speculations on the 8830???

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Your BlackBerry will come with a Desktop Manager program that lets you synch it up with your PC.

There is an option called Switch Device Wizard, that I have never used.

I have never used a Treo. BlackBerrys synch with Outlook, so if you have all your contacts in your Outlook you can simply synch up with that.

As for Vista, I know there were some problems, but I think they have been fixed. I don't have Vista either
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Welcome!! Microsoft Outlook is the answer. I had a 700p and you will love the Blackberry. Congrats on your change.

junior_79 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you so much for your replies; they were very helpful.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Make sure you have Desktop Manger 4.2 SP1.

The Cingular 8800 has built in GPS, so you don't need a puck.