As punishment for my many earlier complaints about how slow EDGE is, I am being ... General Blackberry forum

wasntxme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2408fbdc

Question Force EDGE in lieu of GPRS

Advertisement

As punishment for my many earlier complaints about how slow EDGE is, I am being punished by my local carrier for using my phone (too much) as a Tethered Modem.

I walk around the house and/or drive all day with EDGE, but within 30 seconds of Tethering my phone to my laptop, all of a sudden I am GPRS. Its happened 6 straight times in last 72 hours since i started using Tethering as exclusive Internet access. I never see "edge" and I am at 4+ bars on both at all times.

Question: Is it possible to "force" my TMobile 8800 to utilize EDGE network in lieu of GPRS (even if it means giving up phone/voice temporarily).

GPRS is (in my area) 5.0 KB/s vs EDGE 14.0 KB/s... MindNumbingly slow to be sure, but at least I can get some work done.

Any help appreciated. zipcode 97504 (Oregon, USA) Depending on website i review, TMo may be partnering up with another carrier to get me EDGE which could mean Sister Carrier is the evil one :-)

Stuck with "dial-up speed" in smallville.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Force EDGE in lieu of GPRS

Does it switch networks when you tether it? IE, are you roaming. Try going to options > preferred networks and choosing manually instead of auto. Just choose the one it's connected to when you're on full EDGE. See if that makes a difference.

mr-jordan no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23FF1400

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    As a tmobile customer do I get roaming charges if I see Cingular or other providers as my network?
    I have the unlimited bis plan if that makes a difference!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nope -- it will automatically switch to EDGE if it can. Your problem is an (EDGE) coverage issue. You can't create EDGE coverage...