Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just trying to get an idea of who uses a firewall and why they use ... General Blackberry forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Question Firewall On...Yes or No..and Why

Advertisement

Just trying to get an idea of who uses a firewall and why they use it or why not. I have a few programs that don't work with the firewall on so I was wondering if it is even that necessary to have on.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have it enabled. I do not have any issues with programs running. If I have any program that has to access outside information I give it full access. If for any reason it doesnt need FULL access I deny it. No part time access on my watch.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

weee96 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a problem with ramble on the 4.2 OS but when I used it on 4.1 it worked fine. I still want the firewall enabled on any internet portal.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't have my firewall enabled.....I find the pop-ups asking for permissions to be annoying. I don't use my BB for business.....strictly personal. I am curious about the risks of not having it enabled. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah same here i have mine on and the firewall is pretty much the same function a firewall has on a computer to determine which applications has access to internet connections and stop email messages and simmilar messages comming from being delivered to your blackberry if you go to the firewall settings under options you will see the options to do this. The firewall is used a lot if your BB was given to you by your company that you work for and you use it for work then they set the settings for protecting conpany info if that makes any sence!

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    I use the firewall for the same reason a firewall should be used on a computer - extra security.

The only two applications I've found that cannot work with the firewall activated are Opera Mini by Opera Software and Mobipocket Reader by Mobipocket, however I have since un-installed these applications as they do not support the BlackBerry access point...

gunslinger595 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2440f435
    I have yet to turn my firewall on. But after reading this thread I think I will.

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    yes its like the firewall on your computer. its safe to have on bc then anytime something tries to access settings or the internet on your phone then you will know

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I want to keep my firewall on - but I use Mobipocket frequently so I either have to remember to turn the firewall on and off or just leave it off and hope for the best. It's a personal BB only, but being a network admin - that goes against the grain! I'd love to be able to just keep it on. Anyone know of a work-around?

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    cant you set the programs access permissions for mobipocket and set to allow all?

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Yes !

Always use Firewalls Kids.
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    yea it is a good rule of thumb speaking of "rule of thumb" does everyone know how that phrase came about? well apparently many years ago, i believe in the middle east they had a law that if a man's wife disrespected him, he was allowed to punish her with a stick from outside that was NOT thicker than the mans thumb. hence the phrase rule of thumb :P

stuka no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    I use the firewall for the same reason a firewall should be used on a computer - extra security.

The only two applications I've found that cannot work with the firewall activated are Opera Mini by Opera Software and Mobipocket Reader by Mobipocket, however I have since un-installed these applications as they do not support the BlackBerry access point...

I use both, and wonder what the significance of not supporting the bb access point as mentioned abouve? Both access the internet ok, so.....?
    Thanks

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I do have Mobipocket Reader permissions set to "allow all" - that was the first thing I tried - still no go. If the firewall is enabled, Mobipocket does not work!

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Quote Originally Posted by gritsinct View Post
    I do have Mobipocket Reader permissions set to "allow all" - that was the first thing I tried - still no go. If the firewall is enabled, Mobipocket does not work!

yea you have to disable the firewall to get mobipocket to work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast